BULLETIN Logan TVC Champs

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Re: BULLETIN Logan TVC Champs

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

VIKED_MAN wrote:No matter how many enrolled; you can only put 5 on the floor at a time. :122246
So that should mean the teams with the deeper benches should be better. :?: Hence the larger schools having more boys to choose from makes them better; not always the case.
Regardless of enrollment, it's all about getting the best kids out to play. Don't help the basketball team if a school has 450 boys, and the 5 or 6 best roundball players don't play :(

GO VIKES
Agreed. So if those who are charged with leading the basketball program are successful in getting kids motivated to play then the larger schools should prevail in most years. As bullpup might say, it's not the Southern coaches fault that Logan's coach can't get the best of those 400 plus boys to play.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Super Trooper wrote:Year in and year out the school with more kids will be better than the lower schools. It's just common sense
Correct. let's go out on the sidewalk and start pulling random boys aside. I'll take 250 boys, and you take 100. Then have a basketball tryout, and you pick your best 10, as I pick my best 10. Who has a better chance of having a better team if our coaching abilities are similar?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If the 250 boys are 5-foot-6 chess players ... I'll take the 100.

Look, Logan has an entire county to choose from - they have 400+ boys in the school ... Why is Portsmouth (by far the smallest school in the SEOAL arguably the best team?)

Its been repeated season after season latley ... Portsmouth, the smallest in the SEOAL, has been dominating on the court ... Fed Hock is the biggest in the Hocking, where have they finished? Logan is the biggest school in football, yet they finished LAST in the SEOAL ... Nelsonville-York is the smallest in the Ohio Division, yet they dominate the league year after year in football ... Eastern and Waterford girls teams are tiny in comparison to area schools - yet they totally rule the volleyball and girls basketball landscape ... And how does Fed Hock, the biggest Hocking school do in football? Dead last usually. I can go on and on.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Agreeing to disagree is the best and only solution. It rarely makes sense any other way to me.

Athens beat Gallia and Jackson, and still gets to play Logan again. Athens also lost a competitive game to Warren early in the year and a good game at Marietta. Athens gets Marietta again in less than a week.

Wellston handled Jackson for most of the game and came away with a narrow margain.

Jackson manhandled logan for an entire game.

VC beat Gallia, lost to logan, still have Jackson.

Agree to disagree --- I agree.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Now that Logan Grad, I can agree with.

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

So then why are you not defending Logan while these people say Logan should beat the TVC teams?
Why would bulldog have to defend you about your team winning?
Is it because he is an Athens fan and you a Logan? Rivals?
It doesnt make sense that he should have to do that!!??

The entire argument is based on percentages. 75% of the time in a misc game the school with more boys is going to win. Yes there are exceptions, Waterford girls is one. Some programs build excellent individual programs. Like girls bball at Waterford. Their boys team isnt very good. Waterford has 84 girls. Just so happens that 20-25 of them play bball and 2 of them may be in the top 5 in the entire TVC. As a whole numbers matter. There will be exceptions. But not 50/50.

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

Logangrad wrote:Just as an FYI, the idiot that started this thread in now way represents the masses at Logan or the fans that root for Logan. He has started issues and called for a coach to be fired in every sport but bowling at this point and the type of fan that goes to one game a year, has no kids in the system and has no idea what it means to be a coach, a real fan, or be dedicated to the programs he constantly bashes. He does it because he is bored and has nothing better to do than start trouble and he has done it again with this nonsense.
I dont care who Logan beats as long as they are getting better. After a 0-6 start they have won 5 of 9 and have been in the game vs Chillicothe and Portsmouth before falling off late. They were actually beating Portsmouth by 1 late in the game two weeks ago but missed some shots after Portsmouth took the lead. The JV is now 9-6 (6-10 last year) and the freshman team who won a combined 4 games in two years in middle school, is now 7-6. Progress is being made on all levels but the teams they are playing against in the SEOAL have depth and have senior laiden teams. Logan has 2 seniors. Next year will be a huge year for the measuring stick for the Chiefs with 5 seniors starting and 3 coming off the bench. As for the numbers arguement, I have said it for years and will say it again; just because you have 400 boys in a school doesnt mean 400 boys come out for basketball or football. And the number at Logan includes Tri County where a HUGE number of kids go. Just my opinion.
But again, Moonshine is an example of everything bad with someone who has no business speaking for a community.
But numbers do matter. How many schools do you suppose have a bowling and tennis team in the TVC?

Reason, they dont have enough kids interested. ###########'S

I am not trying to argue or be a jerk, but, it makes a huge difference. IMO!

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

the only way numbers matter is you have more athletes to choose from in your school...nelsonville beat logan 42-6 in football and they have a lot less boys in their school....like logangrad said 400 boys aren't going to go out for sports. It's always discussed on here about a division 1 team should beat a division 4 team. that isn't the case, its about how much talent you have on your team.

And on logan beating every tvc they've played, there wins and logan will take em...but they're not in the tvc, they need to start winning games in their own league

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Your absolutly right 3morethan2 ...

You know, I can take all five of my county schools (Athens) combine them into one - and I would have 864 boys ... Even if I took all five teams and made an all-star team, I still wouldn't be quick enough to contain the backcourt down in Portsmouth - nor would I have a player to stop Dion McKinley ... Portsmouth only has 179 boys in the school - but I would still take this years Trojan team over an Athens County team that would have 864 boys enrolled in its five schools.

Its how fast you horses your run - not how many you have ... I can enter 10 horses into the Kentucky Derby - but if they're not race horses it won't matter one bit.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

93Bulldog wrote:If the 250 boys are 5-foot-6 chess players ... I'll take the 100.

Look, Logan has an entire county to choose from - they have 400+ boys in the school ... Why is Portsmouth (by far the smallest school in the SEOAL arguably the best team?)

Its been repeated season after season latley ... Portsmouth, the smallest in the SEOAL, has been dominating on the court ... Fed Hock is the biggest in the Hocking, where have they finished? Logan is the biggest school in football, yet they finished LAST in the SEOAL ... Nelsonville-York is the smallest in the Ohio Division, yet they dominate the league year after year in football ... Eastern and Waterford girls teams are tiny in comparison to area schools - yet they totally rule the volleyball and girls basketball landscape ... And how does Fed Hock, the biggest Hocking school do in football? Dead last usually. I can go on and on.
Well what if the 100 were 5-foot-6 chess players too? It makes since that I would have a better chance getting 5 good basketball players out of 250, than you will out of 100. To claim otherwise is just trying to defend a big school from ridicule. If the smaller school is winning more often than the bigger school then it only points to the fact the smaller school has a better program, so much so that they off set the numbers. You don't have to admit it, but you know it. If Athens was in a league with all D1 schools and not winning you would be on the other side of the fence. For example, ask Crooksville what they think about being the smallest school in their league and they point to the numbers.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

93Bulldog wrote:Your absolutly right 3morethan2 ...

You know, I can take all five of my county schools (Athens) combine them into one - and I would have 864 boys ... Even if I took all five teams and made an all-star team, I still wouldn't be quick enough to contain the backcourt down in Portsmouth - nor would I have a player to stop Dion McKinley ... Portsmouth only has 179 boys in the school - but I would still take this years Trojan team over an Athens County team that would have 864 boys enrolled in its five schools.

Its how fast you horses your run - not how many you have ... I can enter 10 horses into the Kentucky Derby - but if they're not race horses it won't matter one bit.
Maybe, maybe not. But you would have a better chance with 864 boys than if you took only the boys from just one of those schools to build a team.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

93Bulldog wrote:Your absolutly right 3morethan2 ...

But if you have done your job and trained all 10, and convinced some of the best owners to have you train all their horses you have a better chance than the trainer with just one horse. Unless he out trains you.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

And if you get to pick 10 horses at random, and I only get to pick one you have a 10-1 chance of beating me. Thanks again for proving my point.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It didn't bother me when Athens was in the SEOAL (when they were in the middle of the pack enrollment wise) ... It doesn't bother me when they schedule and play bigger teams like Logan and Dublin Scioto ... I will give a little lee-way about school size in football - but not in hoops man ... Its way too easy to accumulate 5 great players and have them on one team.

In a blink of an eye you can have O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker on the same team and they become the best in the state ... North College Hill is tiny in comparison to St. X and Cleveland St. Ignatious and other D1 teams from around Ohio ... Lebron and ASVSM wasn't even D1 - but they were the best in the state ... You just need 5 boys - those 5 boys can come from a crop of 100 or 1,000 - it doesn't matter ... Like I said before, Portsmouth has only 179 boys in the school ... Logan has 478 ... Which school has the best 5 'basketball players' to put out on the court?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I feel like were democrats and republicans here ... lol ... Lets all just agree to disagree and cheer on ALL THE SOUTHEASTERN OHIO TEAMS come tourney time.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Haha I agree..Its still fun to have a friendly argument..Im use to everyone always being at my throat on here so this is kind of nice

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Numbers do in fact matter. Mainly in football. (Platooning)
Competion in the younger grades make the cream rise by varsity time. When little jimmys dad coaches him to 8th grade come 11th grade the other kids have stopped playing and little jimmy didnt get any better cause he didnt have too.Then the once 25-0 6 graders are 2-18 as seniors. This Happens every year at Meigs

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Wow, I'm impressed a D1 school can beat a bunch of schools half to a third of Logan's size, most of which are also struggling this season. Would you like a participation medal?

Now, on to the real subjects. It's nice for a program like Logan, which got off to a hard start, to win some games and show improvement. Be happy with the improvement and don't spike on your opponents. As for basketball in southeast Ohio, it is down at the D2 level. Talent goes up and down at most schools. I still believe a D2 team from our district - Chillicothe - could go to the Final Four. Not too horrible for a down year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”