What is the SHL looking like this year?

mrhoops2u
Waterboy

Re: What is the SHL looking like this year?

Post by mrhoops2u »

Talked to the West Union High School Boys coach the other day and from my understand they are looking to be the SHL sleeper this year. I like the pick that West Union has made for their coaching staff as well. With their size (young @ 6'9, the older bear @ 6'7, and the McCarty kid at a solid 6'4) it shouldn't be a problem to compete in the post. Inexperience however, will be a factor.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

won't west union have some problems getting the ball up the floor? with returning players, on paper, small division looks stronger than the big division overall.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

I think we will be alright in that department with Cody Young. He is a very solid player and kid. GO DRAGONS IN 2008-2009!!

mrhoops2u
Waterboy

Post by mrhoops2u »

Sparky,
Having watched West Union both J.V. and Varsity last year play, I thought the J.V. team had better guards than the Varsity. The Young kid developed into a good leader last year and seemed to develop good guard skills. Ryan Brewer, as well as Corey Richmond played in the guard positions and having seen both players over the summer, they seem to be getting some size on them. Coach Brewer also was talking about a transfer from N.A...Joe Hankerson is his name. From my understanding he didn't play that much at N.A. but Coach Brewer really likes his work ethic and said he's probably the most athletic kid on the team.

job 2:10
Waterboy

Post by job 2:10 »

Big School-North Adams has to be the favorite (Coach Youngs' last go will be a good one), toss up between the next four teams. Ripley and Eastern are well-coached teams with good JV teams moving up from last year. Lynchburg and West Union both have new coaches so its hard to know what to expect. Small School- Peebles, Manchester, and Fairfield all return a boatload of players from last season. I saw Fairfield this summer and they looked good, Peebles has a great deal of talent and also a new coach (albeit one with experience), Whiteoak also with a new coach may surprise, and Fayetteville lost alot from last years team. The coaching turnover in the league the last two years makes it difficult to predict, but it should still be fun to watch.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Well said!

BALLER1
Freshman Team

Post by BALLER1 »

I believe North Adams and Peebles play each other in the Holiday Tourney, that should be a great game!

Tar Heel- I know you are on the up and up with West Union, how many transfers in have they had?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

are all of the peebles games going to be on the internet again this year?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hankerson at WU? I've never seen him with a basketball....but I can verify he is definately an athlete.

As a sophomore for NA he was one of the top sprinters in the league running the 100m in about 11.4 and he long jumped 20'4 1/2 inches.

Raw talent that has the potential to be great!

mrhoops2u
Waterboy

Post by mrhoops2u »

Believe it or not from my understanding the Hankerson kid is fitting real well with the kids at West Union. The kids, as well as the coaching staff believe that he will provide the team with a spark coming off the bench, along with about 6 other kids coming off the bench. After talking to select people, look for West Union to be very deep, but however, inexperienced. Guess the league will be fun to watch this year. Baller1, West Union has 2 transfers this year, both from the city area and both are extremely athletic from talking to their coach.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

That is right. But we still have alot of work to do. GO DRAGONS!!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

tar heel,
what are your responsibilities with the varsity team?

vikings12345
Waterboy

Post by vikings12345 »

As peppy as tar heel fan is he should put in for the cheerleading job as well.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

HAHA that is pretty funny!! NOT!!

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

I agree, good post job, but seriously, does anyone really believe this is coach Young's last go round? I understand Eastern Brown also has a new "transfer" about a 6'7" one from across the ocean!

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Eastern's new kid is about 6'6" or so and from what I understand he is from Australia. He looked pretty good a few weeks ago when I saw him play at Winchester in a 3 on 3 tournament.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

6'6 or so

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Yes, 6'6" or so. I didn't have a tape measure handy with me and ask him to stand up against a wall for me to measure him. Sorry about the vagueness.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Uh......nothing towards you was intended.

More or less thinking to myself 6'6 or so......pretty darn tall for the SHL....especially if he's a good player.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Ironman

No problem, I was just jabbing at you anyway. I saw him next to the Meade kid from Peebles and he was a little taller than him. He looked like he could play from what I saw in the 3 on 3 and will be a definite addition to Eastern Brown this year. Who else does Eastern have coming back this year? I know they've been down a some the last couple of years, at least by their standards, and if they have some talent returning they could be pretty solid this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”