Ironton Basketball 08/09

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton Basketball 08/09

Post by Sawdust »

Lamb will be huge to the Tigers this year. By far the best player I-town will have. Tim K. is a me first kind of player. Have watched him since pee-wee ball, nothing has changed. Token defense and if the offensive play doesn't involve him shooting the ball, he takes the play off. Lafon needs to stop the "hack every play, hope the officials will let us do it " mentality and play solid defense in order for them to succeed. Loads of talent will ensure a winning season but they must be able to adjust to officiating. They haven't been able to do do that in his tenure and that has hurt his teams.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

eagles73 wrote:Anyone on the Piketon game what date? I know we played at Ironton sometime the middle of December.

I'm told they dropped Piketon because their league schedule is tough enough, so why play a non-league team such as Piketon who is suppose to be pretty good?

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Don't think that there are a lot of cupcakes on Ironton's non-league schedule, with the likes of Wheelersburg, Chesapeake, Fairland, and Ashland (KY). Although Russell (KY) was down last year, they have traditionally been a good program, and look to rebound under a new coaching staff this year.

I think the real reason is that Ironton is putting together a holiday tournament that is rumored to include several high-powered programs. As noted by Tiger-Brother above, one of the rumored teams is Columbus Brookhaven. I have heard that other powerhouses like Cincinnati Harmony Prep School and the new Mountain State Academy out of Beckley, WV may also be coming to South 7th Street in December, and that the tournament could have as many as 6-7 teams. Can't wait to get some verification of this exciting idea.

As to Lafon's 2008-09 edition of the Tigers, I couldn't agree more with Sawdust that this team has to become more sound defensively. Last year's squad relied way too much upon the steal or other defensive "big play." This may work against lesser teams, but as you step up in competition, sometimes you just have to be solid and stop people by guarding them. They did a little better at that at the end of last season (like against South Point), but at other times their tendency to overplay killed them (like against Fairland). The guys have to understand that defense is not just an event, it is a process. If they can do that, and find someone solid to run the point position, then Ironton can have a nice season. Those are a couple of pretty big "ifs", however.

In case you have not heard about Mountain State Academy, below is a link to an article that will give you a flavor about this team. It recently made headlines in WV for luring WVU-commit Noah Cottrill and his 30ppg away from Poca HS.

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/PrepSports/200808131726

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

jumper wrote:Sawdust,I think you may be right as far as Tim K.is concerned.I know Coach Kitchen watched him play some at Green this summer at open gym andhe kinda said the same thing but only in a more discreet way.He wanted the ball every time down the floor like he was the only one playing.Kinda selfish on his part.He is a good player but I'm sure he could become self indulged.I think W'burg and Green both are glad he is where he is.Lafon will have his hands full seems to me with too much talent and one ball.

sawdust wrote:Lamb will be huge to the Tigers this year. By far the best player I-town will have. Tim K. is a me first kind of player. Have watched him since pee-wee ball, nothing has changed. Token defense and if the offensive play doesn't involve him shooting the ball, he takes the play off. Lafon needs to stop the "hack every play, hope the officials will let us do it " mentality and play solid defense in order for them to succeed. Loads of talent will ensure a winning season but they must be able to adjust to officiating. They haven't been able to do do that in his tenure and that has hurt his teams.

Alot of criticism of Tim Kok and Mark Lafon, but let me say as a Tiger fan that we are glad to have both and we don't care what any of the rest of you think! This year will be.... (insert your schools name here) it's your turn for your spanking!

GO TIGERS!!!

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

Little overboard there go tigers,and your usually so level headed!

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Who will be running the point this year?

Carter ran the point for the past few years, now he is gone.It will be interesting to see if they have someone who can truly run the point.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

[quote="pembrook burrows III"]Don't think that there are a lot of cupcakes on Ironton's non-league schedule, with the likes of Wheelersburg, Chesapeake, Fairland, and Ashland (KY). Although Russell (KY) was down last year, they have traditionally been a good program, and look to rebound under a new coaching staff this year.

Although I would not consider them cupcakes, all of those teams will be down this year. Chesapeake and Ashland will be decent, but the Burg and Fairland will be down and Russell is about two years away. I think if Ironton drops Piketon for a Holiday Tournament they should invite them. It's hard to find a game this late in the year.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

OK, Jimmy, I give up. Lafon is ducking Piketon because they are too tough.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Amen Corner brings up a good point. I do think that Ironton has a lot of talent, but who runs the point and how they run it will be critical to the Tigers' success. The point guard in basketball is the quarterback of the team.......he handles the ball more than anyone else, especially late in games, and his decisions directly affect his team's offensive flow.

I think all the ingredients are there to have a very good basketball team, but it will be very important for the point guard to play well for the Fighting Tigers.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

[quote="pembrook burrows III"]OK, Jimmy, I give up. Lafon is ducking Piketon because they are too tough.[/quote]

That's not what I'm saying.....just saying....do the right thing... this late in the game! If you want to have a tournament include Piketon....that's all. I know Ironton will but tough this year, but to drop a game in late August early September is wrong.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Yes it would be tough for Piketon to find another game.Maybe Lafon can find a spot for them.

Tiger-Brother
Riding the Bench

Post by Tiger-Brother »

I look for Dustin Green to run point this year.

bigmont5
Riding the Bench

Post by bigmont5 »

Ironton is playing at Piketon and having a 2 day shoot out. Playing Russell the 1st day and Brookehaven the 2nd. Also, I think a soph. will run the point this year......and he's pretty good :-D

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

what soph do you see running the point? there are some talented kids in that class but i don't see any of them starting let alone run the point.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Those happen at most schools.
People just like to complain when it happens to Ironton. :roll: :lol:

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:
pembrook burrows III wrote:Don't think that there are a lot of cupcakes on Ironton's non-league schedule, with the likes of Wheelersburg, Chesapeake, Fairland, and Ashland (KY). Although Russell (KY) was down last year, they have traditionally been a good program, and look to rebound under a new coaching staff this year.

Although I would not consider them cupcakes, all of those teams will be down this year. Chesapeake and Ashland will be decent, but the Burg and Fairland will be down and Russell is about two years away. I think if Ironton drops Piketon for a Holiday Tournament they should invite them. It's hard to find a game this late in the year.

Jimmy,

I believe this is being handled by our AD, the contract to my understanding was for two years. In the event they back out, we do have other teams looking for a game and wanting to play us. I will keep you posted on the outcome. We might pick up Vinton County or a school from Kentucky.

Return to “Boys Basketball”