Waverly 08-09

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: Waverly 08-09

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly has a foundation game at Southeastern High School Tuesday night.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Does anyone know what time all this starts tonight?

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly looked a lot better tonight- crowd really into game- the style of play is all about defense. they gave up 28 points in the 4 quarters- very good overall play with all players getting plenty of time.

Seems to be a drastic change in coaching from last year when they seemed to be focused on running a lot of sets to this year seeing a lot more movement on offense. I have no idea how they will finish but it looked like a good start last night.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Beware of the TIGERS they might surprise a lot of teams this year.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

What was the score of the scrimmage last night? Boys varsity? and Girls game?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

soccerfix,
I have not been able to get to any of the scrimmages. How deep are the Tigers?

How many more scrimmages are there and when?

tiger_balla
Freshman Team

Post by tiger_balla »

Preview on Friday night and scrimmage on Saturday morning at home vs. Hillsboro and Circleville

Valvano4Life
Waterboy

Post by Valvano4Life »

Waverly looks a lot better than some are making them out to be...
They should win a lot of games this year with their athleticism, shooting, strength and height.
I think overall they just physically overmatched a Southeastern team that only has 3 players above 6'

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I think everyone is expecting the Tigers to be allot better this year than last (record wise). Waverly had the athletes last year, just couldn't put it together to pull out victories. It was really tough on the seniors who were expecting allot better season (especially coming back from an SOC title the year before).

The SOCII is going to be much better top to bottom than in previous years. Oak Hill is expected to make a run to the final 4 in D4. Wheelersburg is always tough and this year we should expect nothing less. Northwest should be strong as should Minford. West & Valley will be much improved. The winner of the SOC could have a couple losses.

The non-league schedule for the Tigers will be a tough one as they face Rock Hill, Vinton County, Huntington & Chillicothe. Not sure what Eastern brings to the Tigers in the first game of the classic but if they get by that one they should be facing a very tough Piketon squad.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

The final score of the boys game was 56-28 and the waverly girls won by 4 but i cant recall the score.

The defensive pressure was a big improvement i seen from last year to this year. They were really pressuring the ball and getting in the passing lanes. A little Rick VanMetre defense going on at Waverly this year. The outside shooting seemed to look much improved as i believe the tigers went 5-8 from beyond the arc. The scoring was somewhat balanced with Martin getting 19 (he could have had 50 if he wold have made his layups, He could get to the bucket whenever he wanted) Victor had 11, and Kretzer had 8 to lead the way for the tigers.

I was really impressed with the footwork of the exchange student Victor. He has some nice moves in the post and really quick feet. Overall i think the tigers will create some big matchup problems with their size at the guard slots and overall athletic ability. The points guards did their job last night and got the offense started, they didn't try to do to much. Kretzer took quite a few bad shots but again he is just a freshman.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I think waverly will be vastly improved as well. In my mind it comes down to guard play. Last year we could not take care of the ball or shoot any 3's. I see a big difference this year with Remy and Kretzer. Also I think Martin is going to be dominant. As was already stated he would have had at least 40 at Southeastern if he just hit his bunnies. Just one of those nights. I am convinved that Travis is going to be very succesful at Waverly for a very long time.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:First 6 games are at home taking us through the Classic.

Dec. 12 Minford
Dec. 13 Rock Hill
Dec. 16 West
Dec. 19 Oak Hill
Dec. 27 Classic
Dec. 30 Classic
Jan. 6 at South Webster
Jan. 9 at Northwest
Jan. 13 Valley
Jan. 16 Burg
Jan. 20 at Minford
Jan. 23 at West
Jan. 30 at Oak Hill
Feb. 6 South Webster
Feb. 7 at Vinton County
Feb. 10 Northwest
Feb. 13 at Valley
Feb. 14 Huntington
Feb. 17 Chillicothe
Feb. 20 at Burg

Looks like a great schedule for the Tigers in the SOC II. I can't wait to watch our Chillicothe CAVS play at Waverly this year. I hope our series continues past this season with Waverly.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly seems to be the real deal! 6'7", 6'5", 6'4", 6'3" and three midgets. Looks like the two scorers will be a sophomore and a freshman with a really big man and an athletic power forward. And they start three 4.0 students, what other team can say that?

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

Waverly has no problem with East at preview. Good all around play as the defense looks fairly solid. I understand they had a three-way on saturday with circleville and hillsboro- anyone have a report?

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly looked fair in the scrimmage Saturday. They looked tired but they were able to handle both teams. Victor has a nice cut under his eye from an elbow. They didnt seem as crisp as in the past but like i said they looked tired.

There was one quarter that they looked pretty good and defeated Hillsboro 17-6 and played up-tempo. I think they scrimmage again Wed. night at home with Miami Trace. Blanford was not at the games- not sure why- and they missed his speed and defense.

I think Waverly will be fine this year - but I just hope people dont expect them to be much better than what they are -because they are still very very young as far as varsity experience. There may be several times this year where two freshmen and a soph. will be playing at the same time.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I would say that the freshman and sophomore you brought up are the two best for their age in the area. Both of them look like they have had plenty of varsity experience. Just think how good they will be after a couple years of real playing time.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I agree soccerfix however we need production out of both of them this year. I can see Kretzer leading the team in scroing but Martin and Victor need to score points too. Roback will have his nights but we need 15 from Jake; 12 from Martin and Victor every night. Roback with 8-12 and anything we get from the others is a bonus. I see us averaging about 60 a game so our "D" better be good.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

with harrisons ability off the dribble and under the basket he should be getting 12 at the free throw line alone a night.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

If you think about it - i think Waverly sould shoot a lot of free-throws every game with the type of players we have and how much we will be going to the hole.

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

is anyone else concerned about only having 9 players dress? Do you honestly think we are going to have a nine man rotation? They better be in good shape! What will the JV and Frosh be like?

Return to “Boys Basketball”