Eastern (Meigs) @ River Valley 1/20

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Re: Eastern (Meigs) @ River Valley 1/20

Post by Rvbballdude »

The howie is the good! It is wearing off eastern players why they are struggling now!
Hill isn't as much as the others, defense yes total control of the game and holding the ball no.
You know where that came from ? Hard to argue with the records.
Carl Wolfe 500+wins
Howie 380+
Stout 100+ in a short time
Some call it old school basketball lol carls southern teams averaged 70 points a game
Called fundamentals and coaching period

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

When Carl Wolfe was at RV...they couldn't get rid of him quick enough!!!

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Yea why he won more games there than anyone else
And the best players followed him to meigs lol

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Post by Chained Eagle »

Rvbballdude wrote:The howie is the good! It is wearing off eastern players why they are struggling now!
Hill isn't as much as the others, defense yes total control of the game and holding the ball no.
Carl Wolfe 500+wins 40 years (average 12 wins a year?)
Howie 380+ Has won and lost at both Southern and Eastern. One of the best.
Stout 100+ in a short time More years coaching than you might think
Some call it old school basketball lol carls southern teams averaged 70 points a game

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Chained Eagle wrote:
Rvbballdude wrote:The howie is the good! It is wearing off eastern players why they are struggling now!
Carl Wolfe 500+wins 40 years (average 12 wins a year?)
Howie 380+ Has won and lost at both Southern and Eastern. One of the best.
Stout 100+ in a short time More years coaching than you might think
Carl also made 2 final 4 appearances at one of the smallest schools in the state and in his hay day they played a brutal schedule dodged no one!

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Post by Chained Eagle »

Rvbballdude wrote:Yea why he won more games there than anyone else

2 winning seasons at River Valley during the Wolfe years (with Joey James). Also had 2 seasons of 3-4 wins. Carl ran into the same BS at RV as anyone else who has ever coached there.

I only remember one kid following Carl to Meigs. Big kid I can't even remember his name. Was a decent player. Would have been better off staying put but thats just my opinion from the cheap seats.

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Post by Chained Eagle »

I am as much a homer as anyone but I wouldn't call the old SVAC a "brutal schedule". I know all about the Final Four years. Those were good teams no doubt.

Not saying Carl wasn't a good coach. One of the best in the area but, he gets a lot of mileage from those Final Four teams. His overall record isn't much over .500 if you check it out. OHSBCA website shows 488-406 .546 in 38 years. I don't know when that site was last updated.

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Post by Chained Eagle »

Back to the game. Going on the road this will be a tough matchup for the Eagles.

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

It would be hard to link Hill or Stout to Carl and Howie. Hill wasn't even born when Carl coached and he never played for Howie. Stout never played for Carl and quit Howie's team. So where is the connection they have with Carl and Howie?

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

George Jones wrote:It would be hard to link Hill or Stout to Carl and Howie. Hill wasn't even born when Carl coached and he never played for Howie. Stout never played for Carl and quit Howie's team. So where is the connection they have with Carl and Howie?
Not true Hill graduated in 2001 Carl coached until 2004
Stout only quit his Sr year so he was around howie 3 1/2 years
Both had huge influences on the program and Jay Reese coached Hill and played for Carl

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Stout played one year of varsity ball under Howie and saw very little playing time on the 88 squad then he didnt play his senior year. Carl may have coached till 2004 but he was never around to have any influence on Jordan. Coach Hill is just a good person/coach who truely loves the game and will do fine at RV in due time if allowed to do so.
R.V. will beat Eastern by 10+ on their home floor imo.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

G.W.A. wrote: Jordan. Coach Hill is just a good person/coach who truely loves the game and will do fine at RV in due time if allowed to do so.
R.V. will beat Eastern by 10+ on their home floor imo.
I totally agree and perhaps was dumped into the fire a little early! I think in time will make a good coach also some kids with work ethic would help if allowed to coach this freshman group they will be special

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

Keep hearing about this freshman group are they that good? ive only seen the jv play a couple times. not sure i agree with you since rv only lost 1 player last year and has 1 win this season? seems headed in the wrong direction and hill has had 3 years to fix it.

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

kidsarewhatmatters wrote:Keep hearing about this freshman group are they that good? ive only seen the jv play a couple times. not sure i agree with you since rv only lost 1 player last year and has 1 win this season? seems headed in the wrong direction and hill has had 3 years to fix it.
The freshman class has very good numbers with 10 playing. An interesting sidenote is that 3 of the better players from last years 8th grade team aren't even playing this year, so they could have been better. But that happens as kids get into different things in high school. I can tell you from first hand experience that there are a few of them in this class that will play basketball and work out all year-round. If most of them continue to work hard they could be very good in the future as a varsity team. Time will tell of course........

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

kidsarewhatmatters wrote:Keep hearing about this freshman group are they that good? ive only seen the jv play a couple times. not sure i agree with you since rv only lost 1 player last year and has 1 win this season? seems headed in the wrong direction and hill has had 3 years to fix it.
First of all he RV varsity lost 2 players last year the 2 leading scorers and rebounders!
2nd the JV is made up of 2 jr. 1 soph. Rest freshmen, they are pretty solid i think have won about 7 games the last couple in dominating fashion! I think one of the best classes i have seen at RV in some time or any school for that matter.
Hill and Golden coach them in practice and they press and play fast FUN TO WATCH!

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Post by Chained Eagle »

I'd swear Hill graduated from Southern in 03. Wolfe coached at Meigs through the 05 season.
Not sure how long Jay coached at Southern. A few months? Would have been Jonathon Rees Hill played for.

seopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by seopsfan »

Coach Hill graduated 03. He was coached by Jonathan not Jay. Anyone who has came from Carl Wolfe's coaching tree has a little bit of Coach Wolfe in their style of coaching.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Chained Eagle wrote:

2 winning seasons at River Valley during the Wolfe years (with Joey James). Also had 2 seasons of 3-4 wins. Carl ran into the same BS at RV as anyone else who has ever coached there.

I only remember one kid following Carl to Meigs. Big kid I can't even remember his name. Was a decent player. Would have been better off staying put but thats just my opinion from the cheap seats.

Dakota DeWitt followed him. Solid big man.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

BlizzardMan wrote:
Chained Eagle wrote:

Dakota DeWitt followed him. Solid big man.
Jarrod Casey followed him as well as his own son and what other coach has a winning record at RV the 2 winning seasons is an acomplishment in its own.

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

seopsfan wrote:Coach Hill graduated 03. He was coached by Jonathan not Jay. Anyone who has came from Carl Wolfe's coaching tree has a little bit of Coach Wolfe in their style of coaching.

What a load of BS this kid wasn't even alive when Carl was coaching at Southern. Coaches need to get their own identity. Because some kid played for a coach or played for someone who played for a coach doesn't make them have any of that coaches style.

Return to “Boys Basketball”