SOC 1 2009

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Re: SOC 1 2009

Post by thecinderellapick »

Sawdust wrote:Western has a couple of good players but coaching is horrid. Will lose some games they have no business losing. I'll play them every day if the coach keeps Shanks off the blocks and out on the perimeter.

ill have to agree with that Sawdust. the coach has had a few people "suggest" that he play shanks where he needs to be played this year. i mean common, how tall is the kid anyways? 6'5, 6'6? imo, i dont see why they kept the coach out there at western, even if they did go back to the convo last year. i hope to see some good team ball played from this group of seniors. if that happens, you can bet that they will be on top of the SOC.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Only a couple people have listed their picks? Put them in order beyond your number one. I want to see what others think about the eagles chances with everyone back.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

does shanks have any schools looking at him?

BALLER1
Freshman Team

Post by BALLER1 »

I am still going to take Western overall.
2. Green 3. Eastern 4. East 5. SV 6. ND 7. NB 8. Clay

They might play Shanks out front if some colleges are looking at him and saying he will be their 3 man. I remember Clay playing Cam out front a lot.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

claypantherfan wrote:does shanks have any schools looking at him?

im not sure. if not, his family needs to talk to some scouts, see about coming and watchin a few of his games, cuz his coach sure aint gonna! thats obvious from how he played him last year. i think Coach is just in it for the check, if you know what i mean... but shanks himself is going to have to dominate this year and get some good press, even in the scioto county papers!! haha!! seriously though, he needs to make sure his name is out there, catching the the colleges eyes.

BALLER1
Freshman Team

Post by BALLER1 »

I wonder if he went to any Bluechip camps to get some recognition this summer? Hopefully the coach will send some tapes and stats on him to some of the local colleges, its nice seeing local talent play at the next level.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

East has a chance to be pretty good if their players develop from last season. They have the Garret boys back followed by Chase Mault and Hood. I think the Rawlins kid from Missouri or wherever will be ok and they had a real good JV team but they need a couple of guys to step up and score some points.

opie7
Waterboy

Post by opie7 »

BeAWarrior wrote:
Eaglesnest wrote:
jumper wrote:Eaglesnest--You rated the tallent and the placings of the teams. How do you rate the coaching.
My finishes because of coaching and its only my opinion I'm not bashing anyone.

1.Green
2.Western
3.East
4.Notre Dame --- only because he doesn't have as many kids to choose from
5.Eastern
6.Symmes Valley
7.New Boston
8.Clay

Jumper,
Rating coaches is a dangerous game as often talent dictates victory. I know people in both East and New Boston program that told me that they hated to play Eastern because our new coach did a good job of preparing our boys. I don't know much about Green's new coach. Western's coach is not impressive(feel he misueses his talent badly). Bradford of East does a good job. Hopper has the knowledge, but seems to have lost his passion for the game(just an observation). Symmes Valley always has great athletes, but last year was the first season they broke through. NEw Boston was loaded last season. Clay's coach seemed to not make any adjustments. All in all, Bradford of East is really good and Hopper has tons of experience. I think Fitch holds his own and will just continue to get better and better with time......

How can you say that Green has the best coach when...the guy hasn't even coached a game in the SOC...from what I gave been told...Coach Kitchen ended up at green, when his other 15,000 applications to everyother school from here to China was rejected.

Take the coaching out of the equation, and look at the athletics that East, Eastern, Clay, Green, ND, SV and New Boston have.
Coaching has very little to do with it. Teams will win, not matter what coach is in the seat, if they have talent. Coaching has it's biggest facter in close games, teams that have similar talent. Look at Clay, when Thoroughman played. They had no talent, except for Cam and won alot of games. And it wasn't because of coaching.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Clay had some talent when Cam was a senior they had some good JRS. that year they didnt always work good together.

opie7
Waterboy

Post by opie7 »

claypantherfan wrote:Clay had some talent when Cam was a senior they had some good JRS. that year they didnt always work good together.

Look at when Cam tore his Meniscus, what was their record without him ? Yes,
they had some talent, but Ward didn't know how to coach, without Cam. That's what we have now. They don't know how to play together. The only solution to that problem is play more together in the off-season. ie. open gyms, camps, etc.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

hey guys in response to the western coaching thing isnt it something how we lose 2 pretty good guards and the old coach never played any young guards to get them experience because he knew he was leavaing and didnt care so the new coach gets a team that the best ball handlers are their bigs and their bigs want to play like guards not bigs

bystander
Riding the Bench

Post by bystander »

the year referred to saw Western with a well stacked starting 5---so who do you sacrifice to get the younger guys court time----and if I remember correctly that was the winningest season in years for you all---don't seem like the coach in reference did all that bad

it has been common talk that Shanks was not utilized last year appropriately by the current coach; also doesn't seem fair that Keir was underestiumated last year---one of the best all round players there was

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

i agree about the records but why not give a sophmore minutes at jv so they can learn the game instead of 1 quarter jv and 1 min varsity

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

thank you ignert1 thats what im saying and as far as the coaching goes with no penatraiting guards because of lack in experiance the coach has to spread the floor to create mismaches with his bbest ballhandlers which is his big men who have never been in the post and that started with the old coach who had good guards and kept the lane clear for them to attack the rim the style of ball a coach play if hes a good coach isnt his system it has tobe the style his players can maximize there talents at and help there team win harrop is a good young coach winning with the team he has and trying toplay around haveing no other ball handlers

bystander
Riding the Bench

Post by bystander »

whats the logic with coaches doing that anyway--pulling their potentially best up from JV to varsity and then just sitting them---these guys are allowed 5 quarters a night, I'm sure someone is monitoring the max of 80 quarters per season--why not let them play or keep them on the court during JV games---how are they an asset just riding the bench and in the end they are wasting good talent and a benefit to either team

Pavilion
Riding the Bench

Post by Pavilion »

Lightle04

What guards are you referring to that were denied playing time 2 years ago that is now affecting this team? If I remember correctly, Hall was ineligible that year and the Flint kid either quit or got kicked off in the pre season and wasn't even on the team. Penwell even played a little jv and he was the first kid off the varsity bench. I know this because I had a vested interest in the jv team that year and that team suffered because those 2 guards I mentioned were not around. So, who else is left that he pulled up and didn't develop? Besides that, Phil didn't know he wasn't coming back until after the season when the board wouldn't give him a new contract. unlike what you said about him knowing he was leaving. He didn't decide not to coach there. The board made that decision.
The guy gets beat at the buzzer in the regional final. The board won't give him another contract and now he is getting blamed for the lack of guard play on the team 2 years later? Are you one of those board members still trying to justify the decision to let him go? Get over it - he is not there there now and has been gone for almost 2 years.
As you can tell I was not in favor of that decision but I have moved on and still support the team and the new coach. You should support the team and the new coach also and leave the old one alone - sounds like you got what you wanted - move on with your life, everyone else has!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

wow a bit touchy i see i could care less about phill or the board and chris is the main one im talking about and please dont try to play the poor phill card he has burnt every bridge in every school hes worked at call piketon and ask them for some pitty for phill wont get any i bet but as far as the team goes im at every home game boys and girls i support trent 100% as you will see in other threads on this sight if phill is a buddy of yours sorry if i hurt your feelings i was just expressing mythoughts on the matter

Return to “Boys Basketball”