Southeast District Tier Rankings

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Re: Southeast District Tier Rankings

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

Marietta had one bad loss against a good Belpre team. I think they're right where they should be even if Belpre is behind them. They're a talented team that doesn't always play as a team. This is all just opinion of course, god bless all!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Jesco White,

No problem. I have a thick skin and usually end up dishing out a heavy dose of sarcasm. Usually, win/loss record and strength of schedule/game competitiveness is what people want to argue with me about. Just because a team has a better record doesnt mean anything. I will take a 10-10 Chillicothe or Portsmouth team almost every year over a 17-3/16-4 D4 team.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Jimmy,

I'll agree with you 100% on that. A .500 team with a challenging schedule can definitely be much more dangerous than a team with a sparkling record against weak competition. It happens all-to-often in tourney play where teams with outstanding records are ousted in the first round by teams at or below .500. Heck, there have even been some legendary coaches fall victim to it, i.e. Norm Persin. I believe one of his outstanding Chesapeake teams fell victim to a Barrick-coached Wheelersburg team in the Sectionals in the late '90's following a tremendous regular season by the Panthers (I want to say they were 20-0 that year if any Panther faithful could throw an assist I'd be grateful).

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks to me like I have supported Marietta's ranking at least as much as I have questioned it.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

Jesco White wrote:Jimmy,

I'll agree with you 100% on that. A .500 team with a challenging schedule can definitely be much more dangerous than a team with a sparkling record against weak competition. It happens all-to-often in tourney play where teams with outstanding records are ousted in the first round by teams at or below .500. Heck, there have even been some legendary coaches fall victim to it, i.e. Norm Persin. I believe one of his outstanding Chesapeake teams fell victim to a Barrick-coached Wheelersburg team in the Sectionals in the late '90's following a tremendous regular season by the Panthers (I want to say they were 20-0 that year if any Panther faithful could throw an assist I'd be grateful).

Yeah, the Panthers were undefeated. (1991-1992) The game was at Rock Hill. It was 36 degrees outside with a hint of rain in the air. Burg lost almost all their early games with a team decimated from injury and were coming off a very deep run in the football playoffs. Norm was wearing a light blue shirt with white trim. Burg was a tough team that made a deep tournament run after beating Chessie. Split the pot was won by Danny Newman who collected $225. With 23 seconds left, 6'8" Rich Edwards from the Peake went in for a layup that would have given Chesapeake a 3 point lead. Hotdogs were 75 cents each without sauce. But Rick was whistled for a push off, his 5th foul, and the basket was disallowed. NOBODY in Chesapeake remembers :shock: much about that game. Tom Hardy was 82.

The next year, with one starter returning. Chesapeake went 24-0. Eight of those wins were by 5 points or less. A good Belpre team took the regional crown.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

moose,

I guess you have a couple of "vague" memories lol That actually wasn't the game I was thinking of, although that contest certainly qualifies. Burg was coached by Mike Lovenguth in those days and always fielded excellent teams, even though they often had to deal with the aforementioned success of the football team causing a late start. I was actually thinking it happend in the '97 or '98 season, although I could be very wrong. It seems like I was thinking of the time frame when the Peake had players like Sam Gue and others. Did they not have a group in that time period run through the regular season untouched only to get upset in the Sectionals? If not, I definitely apologize.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

Sam and the gang did not have an unbeaten season although they had a great chance at 20-0 but were beaten at River Valley on a night when the bucket was closed. One of the better teams that Sam guided lost at regionals by a bucket to that great North Adams team that went on to state.

The game at Rock Hill was the only time that an unbeaten Peake squad lost in sectionals. I would not have survived another game like that.

Wheelersburg, according to my therapist, did get the better of Peake later on in some tournament games, but it was a bit deeper in the tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”