Gallia Academy 08-09

devilmomma
Waterboy

Re: Gallia Academy 08-09

Post by devilmomma »

news from the devils bench is that oz isnt sure about how he fielded the team this year...but assures his players that he's grooming them for next year by taking strong starting players from tom moores jv team last year and keeping them there and placing 1 senior and 3 jrs who rarely have seen time on the floor in the past 3 years to fill his varsity bench. But ends his practice last nite with " I hope that it wasnt a mistake ?????" :122246 Granted oz holds a talented bunch of starters for varsity with Whaley, Armstrong, Troester, K. Mitchell but allowed others who rarely attended a conditioning session to wear a varsity jersey over stronger players. With the explaination ..."these boys will wear varsity jerseys but rarely play" so feel proud that you will "play" while on the jv bench.... tom moore has very talented sophomores for his jv team so he wasnt hurting. Im just curious what the heck is goin on in oz's head.........this comment is definately not intended to bash a player but to draw attention to an ongoing problem and the reason for so many players that DO NOT return year after year....I for one know several of these jr's who would be welcomed open arms at other area schools but choose to prove themselves to a man who is proving to only tear their self esteem to shreds.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Well said devilmomma, this is and has the been the problem for years. At least it is consistant but you are right, that consistancy alone deters kids from working hard to become better players and eventually causes them to hang it up. You are also correct in that T Moore is a wonderful coach and really builds the boys up along with teaching them how to play and respect the game of basketball. Nobody questions oz's off the court contribution to our community nor his dedication but you better be careful b/c to some, the game results and talented kids that do not want to be part of the political aspect of this paticular hs sport, wear blinders. Good kids should be recognized but so should good players. ALL kids want in any sport is an equal opportunity much like we expect in life. Most years the kids will tell you who should be playing, who isn't playing, and why. Hopefully, for the kids, the decision works out and betters the team but the long term affect is obvious in the stands as well as walking the halls of Gallia Academy year in and year out.

blaze275
Freshman Team

Post by blaze275 »

hmmm

Go Big Blue
Waterboy

Post by Go Big Blue »

The juniors who are playing jv (Eberhard, Calvert, Allison and Cornwell) truely is a great group of kids!! They all thrived under Coach Moore last year and I'm sure they are excited to be playing with him again, as well as getting to play with their buddy Jared Golden.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

JV team should really be fun to watch this year and they will have an opportunity to play rather than watch so all things considered this may help the program next year. Some of these boys could benefit the team at the varsity level but we all know that 7-8 is usually tops and court time will really help. With all that said the varsity could, much like the football team, really suprise some people this year. Good luck to both teams and hopefully, in the end, everything works out as planned. Playing JV is better than sitting on the varsity bench regardless of the size of the letter and anyone would be foolish to not love having the opportunity to play for Coach Moore and Coach Thomas.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

This is definatley a double edged sword. I agree it is better to play on the reserve than sit on the varsity, but it will be a juggling act to filter in all of the talent coach Moore has with the juniors. As much as this can help these four boys it can also have reprecussions on the existing sophomores. I know coach Moore well enough to say that he will do a good job in mixing up the line ups. I would say this to the juniors, take this oppurtunity to get better and show everyone what your made of. There are two ways to approach this, one is to be bitter and the other is to show everyone they were wrong to move you down and play your a-- off. I am not saying anyone is wrong here for moving these boys down, I am just saying make the best of it. I would have loved the oppurtunity to play on the JV my junior year other than sit on the varsity bench. You will get better playing as opposed to sitting and remember you can always be called up to play varsity and coach Oz has done this in the past. GO BLUE

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Post by Fun in the Sun »

This should be a Fun year ... will try and make a couple of games !

Go Big Blue
Waterboy

Post by Go Big Blue »

I'm not really sure why everybody thinks these juniors are unhappy about playing JV. In fact I know that it's not the parents of the these juniors that are that upset. I was at the JV scrimmage this evening and I can honestly say that not one player on the JV team looked unhappy. They were all excited and encouraging to each other. The juniors and sophmore seem to mix well and effectively. Maybe the adults that are assuming that being pulled down to JV is a slapped in the face or assuming that these juniors even want to be pulled back up to varsity should remember what your mother taught you happens when you assume. This group of kids did not look miserable tonight. They are going to be awesome to watch and there is a great amount of talent, passion, and cooperation on the team, from the the coach all the way down. Let's don't create a bad situation where there is not one yet. Give these juniors a chance to show the parents that they are more level headed, more mature and more considerate of each other than the adults that will be sitting in the stands watching them play. As my teenager said to me yesterday--"if the adults will stay out of it--this group of kids will make it work." IF hearing your teenager say this doesn't make you proud of the job you've done parenting I don't know what would.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

It has been a long time since I have seen a jv team that solid from top to botom, and I dont meen just 8 or 9 deep. Foul trouble will be no trouble for coach Moore. Not only is the sophomore group talented but you just mixed a experienced junior group with them. Coach Moore must be living well to have that kind of a bench.

blaze275
Freshman Team

Post by blaze275 »

M.y son played jv for coach harrison a few years ago . Good team,lots of fun,but bottom line is there is no jv championship. Most of the time the gym is half full. So just go have fun!

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Kids just play the game. Parents shut-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

blaze275
Freshman Team

Post by blaze275 »

Whos talkin?

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Post by Fun in the Sun »

What is the schedule for this week ?

Any pre-season games ?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Boys varsity scrimmages Meigs Eastern at 10 a.m. Saturday on the Blue Devil hardwood.

Frosh and reserves will scrimmage Eastern at the Nazarene Church gym.

Since wednesday, four varsity players--two seniors and two juniors-- were cut and some of the juniors who were sent down to the reserves last week are back up on the varsity.

Blue Devils open season at Rock Hill on Dec. 6 with a tripleheader.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Jottings, are you sure that is a triple header, the schedule does not say so? THANKS

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Must be Chesapeake, not Rock Hill.

coachovc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachovc »

the first tripleheader for GAHS is Dec. 13 at home vs. Athens. the freshmen open at home on Monday Dec. 8 vs. Logan.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Than ks!

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

Go Big Blue wrote:I'm not really sure why everybody thinks these juniors are unhappy about playing JV. In fact I know that it's not the parents of the these juniors that are that upset. I was at the JV scrimmage this evening and I can honestly say that not one player on the JV team looked unhappy. They were all excited and encouraging to each other. The juniors and sophmore seem to mix well and effectively. Maybe the adults that are assuming that being pulled down to JV is a slapped in the face or assuming that these juniors even want to be pulled back up to varsity should remember what your mother taught you happens when you assume. This group of kids did not look miserable tonight. They are going to be awesome to watch and there is a great amount of talent, passion, and cooperation on the team, from the the coach all the way down. Let's don't create a bad situation where there is not one yet. Give these juniors a chance to show the parents that they are more level headed, more mature and more considerate of each other than the adults that will be sitting in the stands watching them play. As my teenager said to me yesterday--"if the adults will stay out of it--this group of kids will make it work." IF hearing your teenager say this doesn't make you proud of the job you've done parenting I don't know what would.

GOOD POST !! SUMS IT UP PRETTY WELL RIGHT ON THE MONEY....

BLUEDEVILFAN6
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEDEVILFAN6 »

THE JV SQUAD LOOKED REALLY WELL AGAINST EASTERN ON SAT. THEY WON BY AT LEAST 60 + POINTS !! WE WERE JUST TOO MUCH FOR THEM WITH OUR DEPTH AND TALENT.
HAS ANYONE GOT ANY UPDATES ON NIBERT??
WHALEY HAS AN ANKLE SPRAIN AND HOPES TO BE BACK THIS WEEKEND...
GO BLUE!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”