Who has or had the best old gyms?

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Who has or had the best old gyms?

Post by CharlieHustle »

Wondering who has or had the best gym from their old school?(Seating, atmosphere, etc.)

d young
Riding the Bench

Re: Who has or had the best old gyms?

Post by d young »

North Adams. Short and narrow, about like a bowling ally.

BOBBY
Riding the Bench

Post by BOBBY »

I would have to say New Boston!!! The true cracker jack box gym.haha

I would have to say Green's gym. I know it isn't what it used to be, but back in it's day it was the best gym in the SOCI.

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

South Gallia High School (old Hannan Trace High School) has one of the prettiest floors around.

j_arey
Waterboy

Post by j_arey »

I am partial to old Peebles High School with the wooden bleachers, crows nest, and its history. By far the most difficult place to play was North Adams. The gym was a huge home court advantage. Eastern Brown was tough as well, everytime we played there the gym was packed and the game was intense.

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

Eastern Meigs in the last 10 or so years. But with the refs they get and the coach stomping his foot and scaring them, the cracker box atmosphere is the least of your worries when playing there. :aaaaa8

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

all of the old gyms in the shl were tough to play in. in most of the old gyms there was no room in the corners for 3 point shots. of course some of the teams weren't very good and it didn't really matter where they played.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

i loved our old gym(oak hill) we had the crows nest also. auditioriam seating. i miss it sooo much

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

The old "stage" gyms were my favorites. Middleport, Logan, Waverly, Wellston, among many others.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

The Pit at Philo where you were out of bounds if you were on the three point line in the corner. Surronded on 3 sides above the playing surface while the court was surrounded by blue mats & the peoples feet on the benches were on the game floor. Last year it was used was 1997-1998.

Redsfan
Freshman Team

Post by Redsfan »

I would have to go with Green. Back in the day with all of the signs.........you could hardly see the walls. I think they were one of the first to do that. Also, I would love to see their winning percentage in that gym from about 1988 - 1998. It was one of the toughest places to go into and win. It just didn't happen very often.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

Every time I go to Greenfield Mcclain I make sure to look into the old gym there. With pictures from the past teams lining the walls as you walk to it and then going in and looking around it's almost like stepping back in time.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

I never played in this gym, but I've seen it used in some pee wee tournaments. The old gym at Whiteoak has a very small floor and about 4 rows of bleachers only on one side and gets very loud for the pee wee games. I can only imagine what it would have been like for high school games. That is the gym where Dave Smalley who is the head girls' coach at Rio Grande scored 47 points for Peebles before the three point line was in existance.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I would have to say my old school Glenwood by the hill . Very hard place to play in the 80's and 90's .I think there was
time from the 90-91 and 91-92 season the tigers only lost 2 games in that gym i know the 92 team went 10-0 in that gym that year as they won the SOC that year. To jog some folks minds they named the gym that year . The Terror Dome . The Gym @ New Boston kinda remindes you of the old Boston Garden . Alot of great teams have played in that old Gym!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

BOBBY
Riding the Bench

Post by BOBBY »

Redsfan,

You need to look from about 1985-1998. The winning really started during this time. It truly was a place people could not win. Hopefully the Cats can get back to that.

earp
S

Post by earp »

The old gym at Fairland especially the last game with Chesapeake in there WOW!It was about 150 in there for big games.And I am sure that officials still have nightmares about the coaches club over in the corner by the home bench,"Not that I would know anything about that"! Hannan Trace was a good one too,My junior year out there Fairland played them and they had an 8 point lead on us and we ended up winning by 2 I think.Some fan punched out a window by the front door,Anybody remember that?

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

South Gallia High School (old Hannan Trace High School) has one of the prettiest floors around.

Hannan Trace was a good one too,My junior year out there Fairland played them and they had an 8 point lead on us and we ended up winning by 2 I think.Some fan punched out a window by the front door,Anybody remember that?

I have heard the many stories of the wild things that went on inside the HT gym. It is sad that this will be the last year for the old Mercerville Garden.

rebel_gurl09
Riding the Bench

Post by rebel_gurl09 »

i love the old floor at the current SGHS. its wooden which makes it so pretty!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

The winning really started when Green made a coaching change for the 80-81 school year.
Last edited by Black Panther on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryder cup champs
Waterboy

Post by ryder cup champs »

Southern's gym was hard to win on when Carl Wolfe was coaching there. Rarely ever getting beat at home and going to state in 82 and 80!!! Those teams were very good.

Return to “Boys Basketball”