Warren 08-09

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Warren 08-09

Post by warriiorfan »

This year's team.?. Coach Maddox and staff always produce a quality product, will they be cutting down nets this season?

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Re: Vincent Warren Local Warriors 08-09

Post by marklduckworth »

All of us are certainly enjoying football season, but the truth is, hoops is just around the corner. Open gym has started at most schools for athletes not in a fall sport. The annual Ohio Basketball Coaches Clinic is Sunday, Monday in Columbus. This years line up is a good one. Coach Jim Burson, Jeff Young, Geno Auriemma, Gene Ford, Brad Brownell, Thad Matta, Matt Painter, Rick Majarius, to be followed by the state rules and interpretation clinic. It is always nice to share ideas and listen to other coaches that have been successful at the various levels. You never know what you might borrow from someone else to help your own program. Basketball, like most sports has become a year round committment if you want to be successful. Let's cheer on the fall sport athletes and soon it will be time to dribble................................

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

No team in Washington County beats Fort Frye this season.Except maybe Frontier.Warren will get ran over by the Cadets.

Prodigy
Freshman Team

Post by Prodigy »

Warren will not get ran over by anyone except Zanesville and Chillicothe. But Fort Frye will have a very solid foundation with Arnold, Stevens, Warren, Bates, Thieman and Engle. They do lack a post presence, Thompson will be missed. As for Warren, they lose Hunter, Lemon, Call, Hooper, Horner, Washington, and maybe a few others i forget. Warren always reloads though, they have Hebb, Fivecoat, Cunningham, Anderson and they had a load of talent on that JV team. They also are getting a freshman Jace Knost from Belpre, that kid can play. Could give Warren a post presence on this team.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

The only time that Warren and FF played this summer it was very close (decided by a point I think). FF will not run all over Warren. Warren had a good summer, performing well in every venue. They got better and better as the summer went on. Varsity will have (SRs) Hebb, Anderson, Hoon, (JRs) Fivecoait, Wolfe, Ellenwood, Lang, (SOs) Venham, Cunningham and Hilverding.

Everybody always thinks the sky is falling when team leaders graduate. It isn't. Warren is going to tough just like they always are. Really.

gotgame
Freshman Team

Post by gotgame »

What kind of size will the Warriors have this year?

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

6'4 x 3 (give or take) Hoon, Venham, Hebb

Hebb will be a mismatch...too tall for guards and too quick for bigs... He should put up some #'s!

Hoon should provide the toughness, rebounding role...

Venham - someone please make him mad! Like last year in Athens JV game going for 32 in the 2nd half and finishing with a dunk! Size, talent, and work ethic... sky's the limit...

The lil' guards get in the weightroom this summer? Guess we will find out...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Prodigy: I think that Chillicothe and Zanesville are going to find themselves in quite a few battles this year in the SEOAL......CHS lost Hitchens and Chambers, while ZHS lost 4 starters including Logan Aronhalt and Cedric Harris. The league will be much more balanced than the first 2 years of the expanded SEOAL.

I think Warren will field another respectable team......the Warriors always seem to post around a 12-8 to 14-6 mark......I know that Venham had a very good freshman season, and they should get some solid minutes from last year's JV squad.

I know at Portsmouth we are expecting to challenge for the league title......we have all 5 starters back, which I believe is the only team in the SEOAL to do so. But we have to show results on the court........talent on paper means nothing........I do know that we are expecting to beat Chillicothe and Zanesville......they will have good teams but they also will be beatable.......and I hope that Warren and the rest of the league feels the same way.

Prodigy
Freshman Team

Post by Prodigy »

i forgot about Venham, that kid is going to be a special player. And warren always has competetive teams. Hebb and Venham can both dominate a game. And like i said, no team will "run over" warren this year. If anything, warren will run over some teams!

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

don't forget about this junior class, either

fivecoait and lang have both spent the entire summer working...

lang's vertical is right on the edge of the rim right now...

it's going to be a good year for warrior basketball.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Warren with Coach Maddox court side will always be a game ... this year is no different WHS has a solid, physical group of players (what's new?) ... the Warriors have been searching for another Isaac Ward in the middle ever since IW graduated - size in the middle is/has been THE issue with WHS hoops for years - a big man down low away from competing vs ANYONE ... now someone brought up a move in from Belpre - a freshman? also mentioned he had some size? plays the post? - what's the scoop on this transfer ? ...

...Warren will be fine vs anyone, even better in the league with the graduation of key D1 players at the 'ville and Chilli ...

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Hmmm, the junior class has gotten smaller than I remember. Well, I'm sure that the missing players wouldn't have had an impact anyway. Frankly, I can't even remember who the other members of the junior class were. :122249

Good luck Warriors!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I think coach Maddox will have another good team at Warren. They are my pick for top team in Washington County going into the season.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

warrnwarriorfan,

not attempting to slight anyone there. All six of the juniors will have an impact on the varsity rotation this year.

But, in my opinion, ellenwood, wolfe, and yocum are (and should be) fully and completely football-focused until the season's over. when you're a multi-sport athlete, you have to be.

and, can't forget about seth harris. he's got game.

Ok, there you have 'em. (juniors, that is)

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

WHS, I figured there was a method to your madness. Hence the sarcasm.

Is Seth going to play? I hope so. I know he wasn't able to be a many of the summer activities, but I saw his aunt and she said she thought he was playing. That would be great!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye's summer league team without Bates and Stevens.Fort Frye will beat Warren by 5 or so in Warren because they always seem to be playing 8 on 5.Fort Frye beats Warren by 15 or 20 in Beverly.

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

I must say Eastern, you are consistent...2 posts, 2 displays of ignorance! Go make your own topic about the Fort... there you can make excuses for losing by blaming it on the officials! :roll:

If this topic was about the Fort I would say they are going to be real fun to watch! A true Coach L. team... hard-nosed, attacking basketball, a tremendous test for any team!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Zanesville and Chillicothe will not run over the SEOAL this year.

bubbles
Riding the Bench

Post by bubbles »

finish football, then lets play some bball. one sport at a time

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

While all of us have enjoyed our home football games this year, I couldn't help but check out the basketball schedule the other day....

Three home scrimmages this year against Vinton, John Glenn, and Cambridge should have us prepared for our opener on Wednesday? December 10th against Belpre at home.

I think there's a couple unfavorable things about the schedule though.
-Only three games before Christmas is unusual.
-Seven out of eight away games from 12-19 to 1-16
-Zanesville and Chilli in the same week again
-Morgan game moved to the end of the year (we'll see a better prepared team Morgan by then compared to years passed when Coach Maddox's pre-season conditioning has won games early in the season)

New additions are games at Meigs (12-27) (sectional final rematch) and home against Federal Hocking on 1-27. I would have liked to see us pick up games against MVL teams instead of the TVC but both of these games should draw big crowds.

Thoughts?

Return to “Boys Basketball”