Southern Ohio officials and the Euro Step?

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Southern Ohio officials and the Euro Step?

Post by NewEra »

Southern Ohio officials are gonna have to learn the concept of the Euro Step. I mean I have seen it called incorrectly two times in the past week and a half, both moves were picture perfect execution without a traveling violation yet the whistle blows and the official signals a incorrect traveling violation. What is the deal? For those unfamiliar with the Euro Step, here is a video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx7OqmJpL8

And here is what we have been seeing..as in travel called incorrectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN04WZtrmgM

Thoughts?

classof79_whs
Riding the Bench

Re: Southern Ohio officials and the Euro Step?

Post by classof79_whs »

That's what you'll get with the stubborn officiating around here. I can see your frustration, especially being that if a player got that move off and scored the basket, it would really be a great play.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

I agree with your frustration as well, i think the main problem is the fact that it is different. Plain and simple it's not something officials see at the high school level at least not much in the SOC. It's obviously not traveling but when a ref sees it it's not the old typical two steps before going up for the shot and they quickly assume it's a travel. I would compare this issue to the jump stop, anymore noone knows what one is or what is legal and not. I see the jump stop get called incorrectly a lot, i believe there is great room for improvement on both calls.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

In the first one its a pro using a move which is ok in the pros. In the live action shot this kid seems to pick up the ball when his left foot is planted making it his pivot foot, then he puts his right foot down then his left again to me and it's only my opinion its a travel. Maybe an official can look at this and give us some in sight on it and what the rule book may say. Plus would the rule book cover something from Europe?

Flashing Cursor
Freshman Team

Post by Flashing Cursor »

So. Ohio officials have the tendancy to only change when things become "A point of emphasis"..lol

That said the second example is a travel...

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

the top link is a great move that is legal......the bottom link is no doubt 3 steps

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

The 2nd video is not a travel. He goes Right foot..left foot.. shot

tazz21
Riding the Bench

Post by tazz21 »

Traveling is simple although many times inaccurately called. Once a dribble ends it is impossible to take 2 steps without traveling!

If you are driving for a layup and pick up your dribble with your left foot as your pivot, you may continue on to your right foot and up but if your
left foot hits the floor again while you're in control of the ball it is traveling.

Once you have ended your dribble, as in your momentum or to go up for a shot, you may lift your pivot foot off the floor but must pass
or shoot before it returns to the floor.

steadyEd
Waterboy

Post by steadyEd »

2nd video is not a travel.

The officials in Southern Ohio have been awful with the Euro step. It has been almost sad. One crew, I've seen do two games, and they have called a eurostep a travel 3 times in two games.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

I think someone should move to Europe.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Dinocrocetti wrote:I think someone should move to Europe.
Join us, it's exciting times here in what is almost 2012.

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

Both are legal moves.

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

Tobias wrote:Both videos are walks.

No .. lol

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

the second is left right left travel.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Tobias wrote:In the traditional sense, he has picked up his pivot foot before releasing the ball...

...a travel...

But, who am I?????

:mrgreen:
Tobias,
You are correct he has picked up pivot foot before releasing the ball.....but that is okay if the player is trying for a goal. NFHS Rule 4, Section 44, Article 3a - After coming to a stop and establishig a pivot foot: the pivot foot bay be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

What makes the rule confusing is that the pivot foot may not be lifted to start a dribble. Many a poor official and fan have applied the rule incorrectly.

The move in the second video looks ugly (like traveling) but ugly is not againist the rules.

The first video is about what they do in the NBA. Since they allow carrying the ball and traveling by NBA rules...no comment!!!!

steadyEd
Waterboy

Post by steadyEd »

Dinocrocetti, If they called it a Massieville Two Step, would the move be ok?

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Okay bottom line is if the ref calls it a travel it's a travel if they don't it's not. I guess. Do they cover the Euro step in the State meetings or local rules meetings?

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

I think the jump stop is also a travel. You shouldnt be able to jump twice.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

athens78 wrote:Okay bottom line is if the ref calls it a travel it's a travel if they don't it's not. I guess. Do they cover the Euro step in the State meetings or local rules meetings?
"Traveling or not traveling" is usually covered in one of the 6-7 meetings that local Associations have each year. The subject also gets some attention in State Meetings; more so if it is Point of Emphasis from NFHS. I don't think "the Euro step" will get special attention because it is move (like others) that officials will determine as travel or not travel when it occurs during their game.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

G.W.A. wrote:I think the jump stop is also a travel. You shouldnt be able to jump twice.
You jump stop off a pass or dribble. It's not a step

Return to “Boys Basketball”