Portsmouth West 08-09

WestB-Ball5
Waterboy

Portsmouth West 08-09

Post by WestB-Ball5 »

Will west's Coach Jason Smith plan of runnin and gunnin offensivly and defensivley work??

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Re: Wests New Coach!

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

i think its what needs,the way west has played the last several years has been boring and unsucessful,i dont know if they will win more games but it will be more exiciting to watch

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

i didnt know you needed a bench to play zone and walk the ball down the court and play a 5 out stack dribble weave...not to mention to put six foot seven kid 25 feet from basket anyway this isnt about last year its about this year like i said before it will be exciting to this year how sucessfull we will have to see maybe take a year or two for new coach

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I think everyone just needs to to sit and watch on how this basketball season unfold's for the West Senators!!!!!!!! I think you might be surprised :12224 :12224 :12224 :12224

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

Any info on this jason smith guy? where he came from, whats his background etc.?

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Re: Portsmouth West 08-09

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Good Luck to my West Senators, I believe I am one fan that is stuck through alot of long seasons, I only missed five games during my four years of high school, 3 of them being when they played in Tennessee.

This year isn't going to be any different for me, I'll be there for every game. Let's Go West!

Good Luck to my former schoolmates this year, HOPE we have a good respectable season!

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

Jason Smith is a young-ish coach who has been at Greenup County the last few years. He's been an assistant and interim head coach. I've met Coach Smith and (much to Jumper's chagrin) he was the BEST candidate for this job from the names I've heard. From what I'm hearing from players and parents, this should be an exciting season. I don't think they'll be any better than lower-middle of the pack in the SOC. A lot depends on how many football players, and which ones, come out. But they could pull off an upset or two and like The General said, be very exciting to watch.

To say the underclassmen lack skills is a statement from someone who obviously hasn't seen many of them play. The junior class has one very good play (Tyler Austin) and a couple role players. It's not a "strong" class, but there's some talent there. The exciting thing is that, this year's freshman and sophomore classes are already more talented overall than the junior class. This team will be very good in the near future, and I wish them the best of luck.

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

Just a guess but I would say that the farther the football team makes it the less likely it is that all of those players will come out for the team. I hope not but I think that would be a safe assumption to make.

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

Pulled this from another thread
Varsity Jason Smith
J.V. Tyson Phillips
Asst. Varsity Anthony Maynard
Asst . JV and Varsity Mike Kitts
Decsion on the freshmen will be made later .

Please tell me this is not who Coach Smith REALLY got for his staff. :122246

WestB-Ball5
Waterboy

Post by WestB-Ball5 »

yea tht sounds about right on the staff...i thought it was a horrible choice by coach smith but i guess he likes them.....but all the talk on the no talent of the lower classman just is stupid cuz theres alot of good players

WestB-Ball5
Waterboy

Post by WestB-Ball5 »

and another thing is im playin for them this year and im in the junior class....and im pretty sure we could tear up the freshman and sophmores...we might not have stand out players but wen we play as a team we are pretty awsome......and ive hear of three good guards...tyler austin justin van gundy and jordan pursley...the thing is tyler austin wont be playing a guard...he just jumps too high and so they will put him down low or somthing just so his ability of a 36" verticle isnt put to waste

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

with a new head coach in coach smith with new assistants in coach phillips,maynard and kitts they need everyone involved from administration,players and parents to be together to make this work, i dont worry about the coach's being against each other because its the head coach responsibility to train his assistants to coach his system and being a former player of coach phillips i know he is very passionate about the game and very knowledgable of the game, i dont know the other two coachs but i am sure they will do what coach smith ask...as a former sider lets get behind the new staff and get west basketball on track

Big Red
Riding the Bench

Post by Big Red »

sounds like west needs coach jenkins and his staff back

smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

This is the problem at Portsmouth West there are about 500 coaches and only one job! Why don't you give someone a chance for a change and BACK OFF!!!!!!!May God Bless and Watch over the West High School Players , Coaches and Fans this season!!!!

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

talked to coach phillips today and he said he was pleased with the kids at open gym

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

What is Coach Tyson Phillips coaching this season?

portsmouth fan 88
Waterboy

Post by portsmouth fan 88 »

WestB-Ball5 wrote:and another thing is im playin for them this year and im in the junior class....and im pretty sure we could tear up the freshman and sophmores...we might not have stand out players but wen we play as a team we are pretty awsome......and ive hear of three good guards...tyler austin justin van gundy and jordan pursley...the thing is tyler austin wont be playing a guard...he just jumps too high and so they will put him down low or somthing just so his ability of a 36" verticle isnt put to waste

I've seen Tyler Austin play in the ghetto over the summer he isn't goin to be nothin special.he'll be playn guard, but I wouldn't be looking for big games out of him.

Return to “Boys Basketball”