Come on Vinton co. brothers no comments ???????????????

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Come on Vinton co. brothers no comments ???????????????

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Combs has BUILT one of the best "programs/systems" in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - PERIOD ...

... as is always the case, one can always put a team under the microscope for how the TEAM played in a quarter from a particular game, in a half of a particular game, in a string of particular games AND one can come up with conclusions to fit one's argument for or against ... BUT when you look at the VC basketball PROGRAM/SYSTEM that Coach Combs/his staff/those in his feeder biddy ball programs have BUILT - anyone questioning what the program is doing now, in the past or where they are going in the future has no leg to stand on - PERIOD ...

... the points that have been brought up by daniC, Hawkeye and others ARE as was stated - spot on AND fit every program Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... many schools in Southern/Southeastern Ohio have good athletes, can win their leagues, have the opportunity to win a sectional title AND even make it to the Convo for district play (WHICH I AM SURE IS "THE" GOAL FOR EVERY D2,D3,D4 TEAM BELOW THE LINE) ... the WINNING of a district takes more than "good athletes" it takes having that NEXT LEVEL athlete(s)- those that can play at the next level... true D1 athletes ... can a TEAM of "good athletes" win a district - yes, can they win a state championship - yes , is that the norm - doesn't happen often - PERIOD ... with that said Southern/Southeastern Ohio schools are LUCKY to have one true D1 player come through their program in a coach's coaching career - PERIOD ...

... Every season I begin to look at Southern/Southeastern Ohio basketball - which schools will be in the hunt of their league titles, who will win their sectionals, who has the opportunity to get to the Convo ... I may not know all of the athletes on teams BUT I do know the coaches , I do know those coaches who have BUILT Programs/Systems that work, that win ... Coach Combs his Vinton County TEAMS are ALWAYS in that group- ALWAYS! ... contenders ? always, contenders for sectional titles? always, a player in the districts? always ... as daniC said so well " Vinton Co will be able to compete in D2 as long as they have Coach Combs, his great staff, and the SUPPORT of the community." - PERIOD ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I have 3 tests at the James Cancer Hospital/OSU Medical Center tomorrow (echocardiogram, followed by brain MRI, finishing up with CT scan) ... the plan is to get to Jim's Gym to catch the varsity game if at all possible ... SHOULD be a good high school basketball game - always nice to watch Coach Combs TEAMS play - this season is no exception Ryan Chesser/Jordan Kidd combined for 44 points vs Athens the last game I saw the Vinton County boyz play this season ... Best of Luck to the Purple in trying to get out of 2011 with a "W" on the good side of our handy dandy pocket schedules !!! Purple need to play solid D for all four quarters - not worry about the offensive end THAT is there when they work the ball in the flow of the offense- always ... play solid D for 4 qtrs and the "W" will be there when they add up the totals - always ! ...

Kenny Bixx Jr.
Waterboy

Post by Kenny Bixx Jr. »

i have always said combs is the man! he is the only one winning. maybe he should coach everything well but for the runnin sports, i hear they are good to.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Vinton County has only three (Dennis Gregory, basketball, University of Montana; Jason Caudill, football, Ohio U.; Jason Snider, football, West Point) in its 45 years existence.
I may be wrong and not that it makes much difference but didn't Jason Snider go to Navy or the Air Force rather than West Point (Army) ?.... I was thinking Navy maybe.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote: Vinton County has only three (Dennis Gregory, basketball, University of Montana; Jason Caudill, football, Ohio U.; Jason Snider, football, West Point) in its 45 years existence.
I may be wrong and not that it makes much difference but didn't Jason Snider go to Navy or the Air Force rather than West Point (Army) ?.... I was thinking Navy maybe.
You're right. Jason Snider went to the Naval Academy, not Westpoint.

You'll have to excuse Hawkeye. He rarely gets his facts right. :roll:

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Oh by the way Vinton Co. will win this game by 10-12 points! Logan has to many outside coaches trying to coach this team!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am sorry, I meant to type Annapolis, and I am not sure why it came out West Point. Maybe it is because when I get my big Neanderthal fingers typing fast, it does not keep up with my Cro-magnon mind. Anyways, the facts I do know, I have always articulated in a compassionate manner in dealing with other fallacies, instead of making blanket statements like this;
Ty Webb wrote:
You'll have to excuse Hawkeye. He rarely gets his facts right. :roll:

I am definitely not arrogant or pretentious enough to subscribe to this "over-generalization" or "over-simplification" in making blanket, disparaging, and condescending statements. Just saying.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

pfloyd, be careful coming home and we hope you are able to make it to the game.

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

Autocorrect often makes "Annapolis" into "West Point"...

It's somewhat like when I go to text Hawkeye, and my iPhone autocorrects it to "Kenny Bixx Jr.". . .

As for the game, the Vikings need not only a win, but some of their "swag" back as well. Go Vikings!

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Gotta agree that Combs is one of the top coaches in SE Ohio, if not the best of all.

It amazes me that he is able to get his teams to play such ferocious defense for a whole game. We have had some very adept offensive BB players in the past who were just as determined to play top-notch defense. I really think much of Matt's success is his ability to get his players to love playing defense.

Just saying...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ted Striker wrote:Autocorrect often makes "Annapolis" into "West Point"...

It's somewhat like when I go to text Hawkeye, and my iPhone autocorrects it to "Kenny Bixx Jr.".
Now that is tooooo funny.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to Coach Helber and the Purple boyz! the hardest thing to do in basketball when things aren't going right in the win/loss column is to figure out how to be the team leading at the end of a game ... you have a lead , the opposition hits a couple shots, you turn the ball over a couple of times , players start looking at the clock wondering IF they can outlast the opposition <= a TOUGH position to be in trying to break into the win column on that handy dandy pocket schedule ... my hat goes off to the boyz in Purple & White - feels good doesn't it ? LOL ... maybe NOW everyone can relax, play to win instead of playing NOT to lose ... congratulations ...

... I'm sure there will be those that will have much to say about Logan's play - taking apart this part of the game or that part of the game- getting the first "W" of the season isn't about style points it's about finishing the game with more points than the opposition ... tonight happened to be Vinton County ... tonight Logan DID finish with more points than the opposition => MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - THE "W" ...

... this game was won in the 2nd quarter as the Chiefs put up their biggest "quarter" offensive output of the season ... look at the 2nd quarter napkin stats for Logan : Outscored VC 26-11 in the quarter ... ONLY 3 TOs for LHS in the quarter while the Chiefs D forced 6 by VC ... Logan hit 7 threes in the quarter ALL within the flow of the offense (7/10 from behind the arc in the qtr ... 5 different shooters hitting 3 pointers in the 2nd) ... Logan 34 vs Vinton County 25 at intermission so happens that the final point spread was the same 9 points gained in that 2nd period Logan 62 Vinton County 53 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring : Ryan Chesser 13, Bryce Owings 12, Jordan Kidd 9, Alex Owings 8, LB Remy 6, Holsinger 3, Smallwood 2

3 Pointers : 4/17 ... Remy 2, Kidd 1, Chesser 1

FTs : 5/9

TOs : 15

ATR (At The Rim) : 14 baskets for the game

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring : Tristan Myers 14, Josh Mutzner 11, Gaven Jourdan 10, McNeal 8, Luke Miller 7, Nik Wotring 5, Ronnie Webb 5, Josh Vermillion 2 ... ( Logan's bench put up 32 points- Myers/McNeal/Wotring/Webb)

3 Pointers : Jourdan 3, Miller 1, McNeal 1, Wotring 1, Webb 1

FTs : 12/25 - OUCH!!!

TOs: 22

ATR : 6

... The Purple is at Jackson Friday night 1/6 ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Losing shooters on defense in the second quarter were our demise. Congratulations to the Chieftains.

VC_07
Waterboy

Post by VC_07 »

What everyone think of the game lastnight vs logan and the refs?

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

I believe losing shooters WAS your demise. Losing shooters is a single thing, therefore the use of was would be correct. Was this the autocorrect again?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Well, if you had been there, it was not a singular event. I believe four different Chieftains had at least one three-pointer in the second quarter. But I understand what you are saying smart @$$.

Return to “Boys Basketball”