Pike County Holiday Classic

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by smurray »

Make sure you get there before game 1 starts. A special presentation of the colors and performance of the National Anthem.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

onthepitch wrote:I commend Coach Robertson for pulling his starters and not running up the score on a very young Western team. Lot of players got good minutes tonight. Something Piketon could not do last season, hope Coach Lisath was taking notes on sportsmenship.
You have no idea what you're talking about! I remember the game well and already answered all of the critics as to why such a lopsided score. We played 15 players, with the starters playing a total of 14 minutes. We tried to hold the ball to prevent from scoring a 100, but the kids kept fouling and we made the free throws. A very difficult game to coach, and I certainly don't need any lessons on Sportsmanship.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

crazymidgets wrote:hmmm played poorly won by what 14 and should have lost ok lol
Tonight was the first time i'd seen Piketon this year, they probably didn't play as well as they do on most nights but Eastern didn't play there best game either. I won't say they should have lost the game, but they gave Eastern more than enough opportunities to win. This wasn't a very well officiated game for either side, the flop calls that were mentioned were the worst i've seen in that regard. It made it seem much worse for the Eagles because Piketon basically did more flopping than they did, as crazy as that sounds. There were also 2 i believe ghost fouls, whistle was blown foul was called and the ref really had no clue who it was on and just picked a number. On one occasion the foul was called under the bucket on a guy who was standing 15-20 feet from the play. Either way the Eagles had chances and didn't play well enough for 4 quarters to get it done. Offensive rebounds for Piketon, taking care of the ball on important possesions, and legitimate fouls were a huge reason they lost. The officiating was just to top it all off and put the game out of reach for the Eagles.

Flashing Cursor
Freshman Team

Post by Flashing Cursor »

jeff lisath wrote:
onthepitch wrote:I commend Coach Robertson for pulling his starters and not running up the score on a very young Western team. Lot of players got good minutes tonight. Something Piketon could not do last season, hope Coach Lisath was taking notes on sportsmenship.
You have no idea what you're talking about! I remember the game well and already answered all of the critics as to why such a lopsided score. We played 15 players, with the starters playing a total of 14 minutes. We tried to hold the ball to prevent from scoring a 100, but the kids kept fouling and we made the free throws. A very difficult game to coach, and I certainly don't need any lessons on Sportsmanship.

If I remember that game correctly Zach Farmer DNP because of a baseball thing, Piketon's bench actually scored 60 of the 105 points. No Piketon player broke the 20 point mark, the leading scorer came off the bench. Piketon's starters only played about 16 min. each. Piketon's best player, Even Legg, had 17 points in 14 min of play. 12 of 14 players scored 5 points or more in that game..

Also, on coache's note Piketon only shot 21 of 36 (many of the misses were the front end of 1+1) from the foul line, imagine if they sho 75% instead of 55%..

The most confusing thing was Western kept playing M2M defense and giving everyone layups.. If they would have zoned-up the score would not have topped 90.

Now historically, Western has had there shot to. They beat Piketon 122-58 in 1967-68 and 97-34 the year before. I would not call the legendary Heckie Thonmson a poor sportsman, but a supreme competitor. In an interesting twist Western's current Coach Jordan drilled the Streaks 101-28 in 2001-02 while at Southeastern... If breaking 100 showes bad sportsmanship you may want to do some house cleaning of your own first...

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

^^^^Stop being logical, an internet board is no place for that! lol Bengalfan, your budget for baseball has now gone to softball, question me will you! lol

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Actually, He did pull the starters last year. The subs, are the kids playing this year. Cant put subs in and tell them not to play the game.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

eagles73 wrote:^^^^Stop being logical, an internet board is no place for that! lol Bengalfan, your budget for baseball has now gone to softball, question me will you! lol

Haahahahah We have a budget?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

^^^^ No, you HAD a budget! LOL

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef was at the 2001-02 Southeastern dismantling of my beloved Redstreaks. It was some difficult waters for the Redstreak Nation but we survived it and some may say motivated many to get things to where it's at today. We took a few big defeats that season. Zane Trace beat us by like 70 and pressed us til about 2 minutes to go with starters in. It made us better instead of them playing keep away. No one wants that. 2 years later we played for a District title.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... last night was my first look at the 2011/12 Edition of the RedStreaks ... hard to sit , watch a Piketon game and NOT see Evan Legg as the floor leader... as a cheap seat guy - only having seen PHS last night- I can't make any "global" statement concerning Coach Lisath's Streaks BUT (and there is always a BUT) "from" last nights game a couple things stood out to me 1) PHS is still looking for that player who can "take control" on the floor - calm the troops, give them a "kick in the pants" when needed - with that said you don't replace one of the best PGs in Southern Ohio in Legg, doesn't happen - but finding that heady player who can slow the ball down "when needed"/calm players down so the ball is worked inside, instead of settling for a perimeter shot "when needed"/make sure the intensity is there "when needed" ... 2) PHS only had 7 made shots ATR (At The Rim) ONLY 3 offensive rebounds that resulted in points at the rim ... as I said not having seen more PHS games I can't say that this ATR napkin stat is the norm BUT if it is the norm it is an area of concern when going against teams of equal or better size/talent imo ...

... tonight's Championship game vs Waverly will be a good contest to evaluate this edition of the RedStreaks ... Best of Luck to Coach Lisath and the Streaks tonight ...

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

I like Waverly over Piketon tonite by 10 . Piketon is a good team but not great or an elite team by any means .. I agree totally with pfloyds assessment of the Streaks ..

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Piketon's best asset may be their ability to run in fresh bodies and not lose a beat. They have several kids who will give solid minutes. The big kids have a nice touch around the basket and the entire team shots foul shots well.

For Waverly staying out of foul trouble, rebounding and hitting foul shots will be key. I can see this game being decided in the last minute.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

44-38 waverly at the half.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

65-55 waverly after 3.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

89-64 Waverly

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Do you have the Western vs Eastern score?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Eastern by 20

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Not much more can be said about Kretzer's Classic performance. Piketon had a bunch of momentum in the final seconds of the first half....until that guy hit that shot. New gym scoring record and tourney MVP. Tigers played almost the whole game without Phil Hart good news was Next Man Up did his job. Great mins by Zach and Brock tonight. JP was playing with confidence and the results showed. Congrats to the Tigers now it on to SOC play. No better atmosphere for basketball than when the Downtown Gym is packed and stacked.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How many did Jake have?

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

Return to “Boys Basketball”