Will we ever have a state champ

MightyOaksFan
SE

Re: Will we ever have a state champ

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Super Trooper wrote:Eastern and Waterford girls have a decent chance
No they don't. They are good for their division in this area. Step outside of that and they will get beat.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

GWA wrote
This site has become a joke
Or you passively aggressively claimed that SW and Oak Hill didn't count.

Or your ridiculous assertion about "home grown" talent.

Either one of those would in my book be classified as a joke.

Please excuse kids for legally moving in or out of the district.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

If The Chef's memory is correct and in the what has happened lately, the last several D3 southern Ohio reps in state tournament found their demise at the hands of:
Ironton '05 lost to North College Hills
Wheelersburg '06 lost to Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph
Wheelersburg '07 lost to North College Hills
Piketon '09 lost to Cleveland Central Catholic
Chesapeake '10 lost to Lima Central Catholic
Portsmouth '11 lost to Cleveland Central Catholic
Seems to The Chef might have a chance to win a title if there's not a Central Catholic or College Hills schools on the menu.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

The 88 Portsmouth team was very fun to watch, but didn't they have a boy from Portsmouth East on the team that year ??

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

North Adams 1996 is a perfect example of a home grown team that should have won state. There was actually a letter sent, which few people are unaware sent to NA from OHSAA basically admitting the call was blown and apologizing. North Adams was up by 9 with 2 min left. Miami East went on to cruise to a victory in the State Finals....

Also, just to clear it up Kraig Unger never went to Peebles for any period of time.

Gasisontheright
Waterboy

Post by Gasisontheright »

I think even the Waterloo Wonders in 33 & 34 had a "move-in" from Cadmus.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

GaryGroundhawg wrote:The 88 Portsmouth team was very fun to watch, but didn't they have a boy from Portsmouth East on the team that year ??
No, they didn't have anyone from Portsmouth East on their roster. However, Wheelersburg's '88-'89 team that lost to Cincinnati North College Hill in the State Semi's had a guard who started for East in '88. During those same years, East had a player from Pottsmouth on their roster. Then again, in those days Portsmouth AND Portsmouth East were BOTH part of the Portsmouth City School District.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

theuglytruth wrote:North Adams 1996 is a perfect example of a home grown team that should have won state. There was actually a letter sent, which few people are unaware sent to NA from OHSAA basically admitting the call was blown and apologizing. North Adams was up by 9 with 2 min left. Miami East went on to cruise to a victory in the State Finals....

Also, just to clear it up Kraig Unger never went to Peebles for any period of time.
I played against North Adams in the '94-'95 Sectional Finals and we scrimmaged them in the '95-'96 season. They were a very talented group. After we were eliminated in '96, I followed them closely through the tourney, as I was confident that they would win a State Title. I still get angry when I think about the circumstance in which they lost. I can only imagine what it must have felt like for the players, coaches and community.

On the sidelines
Riding the Bench

Post by On the sidelines »

All I can say is Morgan Dobbins 2009 D-2 State Golf Champion. Get your facts straight Cutekid before you talk. Jackson High School's first and only State Champion.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Anyone care to elaborate on the North Adams blown call?

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

worse call I have ever seen! It was on the news! but NA shouldnt have blown their lead and they wouldn't have been in that position! That being said, one of the worse blown calls i've ever seen on the biggest stage...

.............................and that my friend, is the ugly truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

... What happened?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Swanker Pine wrote:... What happened?
They allowed a shot that was released a second or two after the buzzer.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Well that certainly is a good reason to be pissed if you were a NA fan/player. Unbelievable

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

trojandave wrote:In answer to the topic question, Portsmouth won state titles in 1931, 1961, 1978, and 1988........don't know all the details about the 31 champions, but the other 3 all had Portsmouth kids.
And they should have won it in '80 after making it to the finals.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

chef_piketon wrote:If The Chef's memory is correct and in the what has happened lately, the last several D3 southern Ohio reps in state tournament found their demise at the hands of:
Ironton '05 lost to North College Hills
Wheelersburg '06 lost to Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph
Wheelersburg '07 lost to North College Hills
Piketon '09 lost to Cleveland Central Catholic
Chesapeake '10 lost to Lima Central Catholic
Portsmouth '11 lost to Cleveland Central Catholic
Seems to The Chef might have a chance to win a title if there's not a Central Catholic or College Hills schools on the menu.
No question the big cities have a larger talent pool to draw from. I'll always be proud of what SE Ohio has accomplished through the years given that disadvantage.

batman44
Waterboy

Post by batman44 »

With athletes being able to change schools, we could have four or five outstanding players decide to go to one school. This could happen anywhere in the state but to win
the state you need to have three or four really good players. Those three or four go to one school and there is the opportunity. I don' t ever think around the southern Ohio area we will have a champion unless that happens. We just don't have the quality talent as a Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinnati team has.

Regionalchamps2011
Waterboy

Post by Regionalchamps2011 »

anyone wanna tell them ( for those that werent there ) how long that shot was? i cant bring myself to say it, because i still dont believe it lol.......probably the single worst non-call ( or call ?? ) ive seen in my life....im not even from north adams, but im from adams county and we followed them as if they were our own...... would of loved to hear the refs explain it

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

peake hit nail on the head...this thread is nothing but a passive-agressive swipe at Oak Hill and South Webster to somehow discredit their trophys. What a joke.

As for the '96 North Adams team, that was an absolute blown call (everyone in St. John arena knew the buzzer had sounded before the shot went up). Was a shame for North Adams b/c that still one of the best seOhio teams I ever seen. Copas was a baller.*

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
Bucknut27 wrote:
peytonhillis wrote:Chillicothe won state in 08 with only 1 kid who wasn't "homegrown."
Didn't Hitchens transfer from ZT?
Wasent he from Chillicothe originally though?
No, ZT originally.Finished at Chilly.

Return to “Boys Basketball”