Shot Clock?

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Shot Clock?

Post by warningtrackpower »

Over the past few years, I have had great talks with several people about the changes in various sports. In this article, I recalled some comments of Don Neff, Ron Lovely, Pete Hollon, and Lori Merriman as I look at why I think the shot clock could help spark the game of basketball at the high school level the same way the three-point line did in the late 80s.

Click link below to read the article...and feel free to email your thoughts to admin1@svcsportszone.com...or call to be a part of SVC Sports Talk (podcast show for SVCsportszone.com) by leaving your opinion on the voicemail at 740-569-3254. We hope to use some of the best questions/comments on the upcoming show.

http://www.svcsportszone.com/shotclocktalk.html

bryanc45
JV Team

Re: Shot Clock?

Post by bryanc45 »

i think it is a bad idea for a shot clock.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

As most people I like it but with schools cutting sports programs I don't think it will happen because of the cost to the smaller poorer school districts. There wasn't much cost in just painting a three point line on the floor put would be costly to buy, install and up keep shot clocks for a lot of school district.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

I like the idea of the shot clock. I would like to know what the cost to put the 3 point line on the court was. It isn't that simple. Had to strip down the floor, template and paint, re-surface for high schools and middle schools. This, I'm sure, would be for high school only.

Here is an idea of cost for the shot clock. A t-shirt fundraiser or two would cover this cost. I think over long term that it is not very expensive.

North Dakota, which already had a shot clock for Class A schools, added one for smaller-enrollment Class B in 2010. Sherm Sylling, executive secretary of the North Dakota High School Activities Association, said a school's individual costs of adding shot clocks begin at $2,200 for the clocks, plus the extra pay of a shot clock operator. Those costs could be balanced by higher scores that might draw more fans.

I also like Shaynes idea to make it two 16 minute halves with the shot clock.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Heck why not paint the entire gym floor in different colored zones, 1 pointers, 2 pointers, 3 pointers, 4 pointers and 5 pointers, with 1 special zone in the corner that if a kids heaves a full court shot from that corner and makes it the team wins right then and their and confetti and streamers fall to the floor and balloons fly out of everyones bum! lol

The only reason for these changes, and before anyone says anything I hate the 3 point line, is for the uneducated basketball fan to enjoy watching points being scored! These uneducated fans, you guys have sat next to them screaming about "shoot the ball, cant win if you dont shoot," and the ball was just inbounded from the backcourt! These fans only understand points, the more points, the more exciting it is to them.

They dont get the pain and details that go into playing defense! They dont care, they yell at the kids for not playing defenses, but they couldnt tell you how to get better at it! They know how to yell "SHOOT!"

Why are we making changes for these people? Change for the sake of change isnt good.

A shot clock will only give MORE advantage to large, athletic kids. Basketball already looks like football with dribbling, hurrying the process up will only make it worse. A shot clock takes away the ability for a coach and team to control tempo and get a defense to come out and play defense!

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

eagles73 wrote:Heck why not paint the entire gym floor in different colored zones, 1 pointers, 2 pointers, 3 pointers, 4 pointers and 5 pointers, with 1 special zone in the corner that if a kids heaves a full court shot from that corner and makes it the team wins right then and their and confetti and streamers fall to the floor and balloons fly out of everyones bum! lol

The only reason for these changes, and before anyone says anything I hate the 3 point line, is for the uneducated basketball fan to enjoy watching points being scored! These uneducated fans, you guys have sat next to them screaming about "shoot the ball, cant win if you dont shoot," and the ball was just inbounded from the backcourt! These fans only understand points, the more points, the more exciting it is to them.

They dont get the pain and details that go into playing defense! They dont care, they yell at the kids for not playing defenses, but they couldnt tell you how to get better at it! They know how to yell "SHOOT!"

Why are we making changes for these people? Change for the sake of change isnt good.

A shot clock will only give MORE advantage to large, athletic kids. Basketball already looks like football with dribbling, hurrying the process up will only make it worse. A shot clock takes away the ability for a coach and team to control tempo and get a defense to come out and play defense!

Thank You. The shot clock would ruin high school basketball in my opinion. Now i can't relate much with the times before the 3 point line, but i'm educated enough in the game to realize how much this would effect it in a negative way. Part of the reason why i enjoy college ball and despise the NBA is because of the longer shot clock. You actually have time to move the ball and run a little bit of offense

bryanc45
JV Team

Post by bryanc45 »

I do not like the shot clock idea. Because I run the clock at our home games and it takes some time to do it right; but trying to figure out 2 clocks no it would be difficult to do for the scorekeepers so I hope not.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

love the idea and the fact that it wouldnt allow a team to play pass for an entire quarter, half, game. realistically it will never happen. too much time involved in training an operator, officials, actullay paying for it, getting them to work properly.

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

If you installed a shot clock in High School Basketball it would slow down the game considerably. There are not many people that hold the ball for 35 seconds a possession. If you put a shot clock in coaches adn players would be more concerned about how much times on the shot clock and would not just run their offense there would be more forced shots and the game would be uglier.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

qualified101 wrote:love the idea and the fact that it wouldnt allow a team to play pass for an entire quarter, half, game. realistically it will never happen. too much time involved in training an operator, officials, actullay paying for it, getting them to work properly.
If they play pass for the entire quarter, it is because the defense is allowing them to do it!

I whole heartedly agree with eagles93, especially the part about not giving so much advantage to the large and athletic kids, and I might add it wouldn't handicap teams that due to numbers can't afford to keep up with all the fouling and so many possessions in a game. I love a good strategical game rather than one where teams try to overwhelm with as physical play as they can get away with and sheer mass of possessions.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i agree mhs but it happens. like i stated before, it will never happen unless the state pays for installation.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Absolutely not. And for Gods sake please dont do it at the lower levels.
Fundamentals are a lost art in coaching as it is and now we want to run up and down the floor and jack it up.lol
The game already leans toward the offensive player. This is not college and pro.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

NO!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

qualified101 wrote:i agree mhs but it happens. like i stated before, it will never happen unless the state pays for installation.
Just let it happen, don't change the rules and basic tenets of the game because one team doesn't want to play defense.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

In high school the shot clock is not really necessary. Far to many high school teams just don't have the skills or paticence to hold the ball and it shows. Very few teams go more than 35 seconds on the offensive end of the floor before they shoot. Yes, there are times when teams are ahead so they hold the ball (or at least try to hold it) but this doesn't happen enough to justify a shot clock.

The logistics of having a shot clock (cost, additional table personel, officials applying rules correctly) IMHO do not justify adding the clock.

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

I don't see this happening and I agree with the above post that they don't have the patience to hold it that long anyways or do the fans.it seems a lot of place I go and watch games someone is always hollering out shoot the ball

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

"I also like Shaynes idea to make it two 16 minute halves with the shot clock"

Maybe some old time Waverly fans can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe back during the 68-69 season the Tigers played a home game against Akron Talmadge and the game feature two sixteen minute halfs and three referees as an experment.

The game was played in the old band box at the old High School and I remember no obvious effects on the flow of the game, but games were longer in duration back then as every foul resulted in a free throw and of course most all of the games in the old gym were usually track meets given the small size of the court.

As to the shot clock, lets say I still have fond memories about the four corners tactic. With excellent ballhandlers and coaching the display of fundamentals and strategy was hard to beat. Of course I am old and senile, so what do I know anyway !

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Blahhh the shot clock for high school basketball is an absolute terrible idea. Dont even bring something like this up or some bonehead will get it into his head that its a great idea. Wanna watch crappy basketball watch the NBA theres your team basketball oh wait they have a shot clock wow only 2 guys are playing offense, hmm when did it become a 2 man game oh yeah when they put in the shot clock. PALEASE

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

athens78 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:50 am As most people I like it but with schools cutting sports programs I don't think it will happen because of the cost to the smaller poorer school districts. There wasn't much cost in just painting a three point line on the floor put would be costly to buy, install and up keep shot clocks for a lot of school district.
For 12 years this has gone on. Stop it already. High school = no shot clock. Nuff said!

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.

Return to “Boys Basketball”