Portsmouth 74 @ South Webster 48

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Re: Portsmouth 74 @ South Webster 48

Post by Can See All »

trojan7 wrote:I agree that is unclassy but I wasn't there (unfortunately) but I can see why Portsmouth could have pressed most of the game. After the years we've had the coaches have preached DEFENSE and playing with the same intensity throughout the entire game. Thus by them pressing and keeping the heat up on defense and being intense is trying to instill into these players (even the bench or players coming up) to play tough the entire game. Unfortunately the game got out of hand score wise and Webster just couldn't matchup with the Trojans. But like someone said the game could've been worse had Portsmouth kept their starters in. Very impressed by Tory Horne watching him at McClain and then hearing from tonight and I only hope he continues to improve. Good luck to both teams on the rest of the season

Go Trojans!

Yeah, I understand that they are preaching defense...Webster used to be all about defense once upon a time...But where did that Horne kid come from? He can flat out play!

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

I'm pretty sure it was Port Clinton, Ohio. His brother is playing at Shawnee, well I believe he is redshirting. And yes he can flat out play. I watched him vs. McClain and I was amazed at how athletic he was and a pretty solid shooter. I have also heard that his brother is a highriser at SSU. I heard he can flat jump out of the gym.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Cameron34Crazie34

you are correct, it is Port Clinton,

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

you dont owe it to anyone to win by less. compete, thats the way to avoid such instances. If your style is to press, you need to press at all times. this early season is a time where you get guys experience running your system. if that is pressing, keep pressing. you are trying to get better sooner, not later. if the other team is not as good, thats not your problem. you're concern is to get experienced in your style. As long as the starters are not left in for inordinary lengths of time then there is no gripe. get better.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Portsmouth could've scored 100 if they wanted to but pulled the pedal of the gas and let the score end up closer than the game really was. As for the Jeeps, keep playing hard because you will not see a better team on the schedule the rest of the season. If Portsmouth keeps their focus and buys in on the defensive end of the court, they are looking at a trip to Regionals and maybe even State.

dshanton: good post.*

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I was very happy to see the Trojans come out of the locker room with defensive intensity.......it wasn't there vs. McClain and PHS had to battle from behind......last night Portsmouth was all business in the first half, led by Tory Horne's shooting......he has been sensational in his first 2 games as a Trojan.......and the Trojans' stifling D......led by Andrew Bendolph. Andrew was all over the court.......the best defense I have seen him play..........and Portsmouth as a unit played defense the way they are supposed to and are capable of..............

Coach Shoemaker got what he wanted out of his starters and then played the kids off the bench.........but Portsmouth does want to get into the mindset of pressing/trapping teams in some form, whether it be full court, 3/4 court, or half court..........it is the style that best fits this talent.......

I am very happy with Zack Link's improvement........he is showing a nice mid range jumper.......something he didn't have last year.........Zack is proving to be a very important player in the Trojans' rotation...........

South Webster will improve with time......it was their first game........they did run some nice half court sets when they took the time to do so........their guards in the JV game played well..........

I was also very pleased with our freshman team........even without Dion McKinley, we looked good overall.......and several saw double duty in the JV game...........we should field some good basketball teams for at least the next 3 years..........

Deshanton3 and art vandelay: I agree with both of your posts.

GO TROJANS!!!!
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojandave.

you see where I was siting at the JV game?....I gave the team a big pep talk before they went to the locker room :lol:

by the way,,,how about that big slam in the first by williams?....

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

biggdowgg: I didn't see where you were sitting for the JV game........did you change sides again like the McClain game? I wonder where the "man box" will be for the home opener vs. Jackson on the 19th?

I did forget about Williams' slam........that was really nice.......we don't get too many of those........he got a perfect pass.......I can't remember whether it was from Horne or Bendolph..........

JV score for Jottings: South Webster 42, Portsmouth 38......that's at least one score for you, Jottings......... :-D

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote:biggdowgg: I didn't see where you were sitting for the JV game........did you change sides again like the McClain game? I wonder where the "man box" will be for the home opener vs. Jackson on the 19th?

I did forget about Williams' slam........that was really nice.......we don't get too many of those........he got a perfect pass.......I can't remember whether it was from Horne or Bendolph..........

JV score for Jottings: South Webster 42, Portsmouth 38......that's at least one score for you, Jottings......... :-D

TrojanDave...you came up and talked to me right befor the game :122246

I was sitting alomg side the team, so I ofred some advise :mrgreen: :lol:

TARTAN/TITAN
Freshman Team

Post by TARTAN/TITAN »

looks like webster will take some licks this year,im sure some other teams wont be as nice as portsmouth coach was

14U
S

Post by 14U »

I watched the game and have to say that Webster never quit. Even down by 43 points at one time they never quit. Most their points came in the 4th after the starters was out. When you are a full court pressing team thats all you know and will stay in it. If and I mean if Webster plays the way they did " NOT QUIT" they will be in alot of games or win them. Webster will not meet another team like Ptown on their schedule

Sharpshooter21
Waterboy

Post by Sharpshooter21 »

What were the scores to freshman and jv that night?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

from the sound of things on the radio before half when i turned it off, things could have been ALOT worse

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Tobias
After playing sports at Portsmouth its hard to see them lose. But now living in Burg with all 4 kids going to school here its time to root for them and their school, but Ptown is aways in my heart.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

biggdowgg: I completely lost my head on that.....I remember where you were now........ :-D

14U
S

Post by 14U »

That will be the hardest part when they get up there playing portsmouth

Return to “Boys Basketball”