JV Team

Re: MINFORD @ CLAY TUESDAY

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Minford by a bunch.

slimTHUG
Waterboy

Post by slimTHUG »

Minford has too much depth. Their guards and forwards coming off the bench aren't too bad. Plus the starters get it done. Minford by however much they want.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I hope clay pulls through and if they do it will be a close game

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

Minford wins by 20 or more

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I believe the final was 59-43 Minford. Clay had a couple of good runs and had cut a 32-19 halftime deficit to 35-30 about midway through the 3rd quarter and missed two wide open looks at 3 pointers that would have cut it to 2 points. Minford then went on about an 8-0 or 10-0 run that put it out of reach and Clay couldn't get any closer. Once again turnovers killed the Panthers and though I don't know th exact number I'd be willing to bet it was at lest 15 to 20 and probably half of those were unforced TO's with just bad passes. Clay is definitely better than they were last year and they are very young. I think they started 4 sophs and a senior so the future looks bright for the Panthers.

Good luck to the Panthers the rest of the season.

Bricklayer
Riding the Bench

Post by Bricklayer »

Clay started three sophomores and two seniors. T.J, Jon, Cody, Nathan, and Shawn. The digger in the game was the first half if clay would've played better i think they could've won the game. But from way they looked last night they should do pretty good this season.

Mr_player
Freshman Team

Post by Mr_player »

I'm not sure how good they will do this year, but in two years they will be a team to watch out for

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

I look for Clay to have a realistic shot at the SOC I title. Coach Trainer is doing a good job. His kids play hard and I feel they are athletic enough on the perimeter to compete night in, night out.

golf_guy23
Waterboy

Post by golf_guy23 »

I think the players are definitely in it to win it if they can just overcome the turnovers that they committ. The Minford game proved to many that these boys can play ball, although the loss would make most people feel otherwise. Great job boys and hopefully Clay will come out with some wins this year.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Yeah this game really did help clay prove to themselves and others that they can play with the best of them

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

winchell wrote:I look for Clay to have a realistic shot at the SOC I title. Coach Trainer is doing a good job. His kids play hard and I feel they are athletic enough on the perimeter to compete night in, night out.

Seriuosly!!!!!! I'm not so sure about his coaching. I was at the game last night and there was a couple of times where Clay had a hot player and then he yanks them. If a kid is hot, leave him in. The one kid in question I think is a Senior and had just hit a three and a then made a tough shot for a two and then he gets yanked. Didn't understand that move.

Clay gave Minford all they wanted. I'd guess the Minford faithful was on the edge of there seats when Clay cut it to 5 and had the ball. Clay's big men need to really hit the weightroom for next year. They get pushed around way to easy, but that probably factors in to Minford and also Northwest having football and some of the football players are on the bball team and it shows.

Clay needs to not get down because of there first two games. They were against much bigger schools and they more than held there own until they ran out of gas. It comes down also to that those teams have a little better bench that Clay has and it showed. Clay will be tough the next few years as they are a very young team. I agree that the Graham boy needs to at least be given a chance to see what he can do. He has to much size to be sitting on the bench. No, I'm not a relative of his, just someone who has played some ball against him and have seen what he can do on the court. He just needs to play aggressive like he does at the life center.

Looking forward to watching a few more Clay games this year. We'll just have to see what they can do against teams there own school size.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Yabba brings up a good point about the weight room. Does Clay even have a weight lifting program? Like he pointed out, most of the schools that Clay will be playing this year have football, and since your best athletes usually play almost all of your sports, they will facing kids that been in weight training since last summer and will be stronger and more physical.

The kids at Clay defnitely need to hit the weights and get stronger, whether at school if it's available, or at home on their own. If they don't they are going to continue to get pushed around under the basket by the bigger, stronger kids. Learning to box out will help them some, and that is something they definitely need to work on.

If the big boy, #5 I think, would use his size and box out under the basket he would definitely get more rebounds per game. Someone also needs to put him under the basket with his back to the rim and someone behind him and then throw him about a 100 passes at different angles and speeds so he can develope some "hands". He also plays a little to soft for a big man and needs to get more aggressive. If he would work on his game and be serious about it I can see him becoming a good post up player.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

On the radio at symmes valley...yeah right...
get the car warmed up...

Bricklayer
Riding the Bench

Post by Bricklayer »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Yabba brings up a good point about the weight room. Does Clay even have a weight lifting program? Like he pointed out, most of the schools that Clay will be playing this year have football, and since your best athletes usually play almost all of your sports, they will facing kids that been in weight training since last summer and will be stronger and more physical.

The kids at Clay defnitely need to hit the weights and get stronger, whether at school if it's available, or at home on their own. If they don't they are going to continue to get pushed around under the basket by the bigger, stronger kids. Learning to box out will help them some, and that is something they definitely need to work on.

If the big boy, #5 I think, would use his size and box out under the basket he would definitely get more rebounds per game. Someone also needs to put him under the basket with his back to the rim and someone behind him and then throw him about a 100 passes at different angles and speeds so he can develope some "hands". He also plays a little to soft for a big man and needs to get more aggressive. If he would work on his game and be serious about it I can see him becoming a good post up player.

Now that you mention it. Clay actually has a good weight room. But if you would ask the coach he would tell you. That during summer the guys didn't really show up to the weight room too much. If you look at the seniors "T.J. , Brandon, shawn, and Jacob" and you look at the underclassmen the size difference is large. A team can have unbelieveable athletic ability but if they don't have the size to block out. They still are going to continue to lose. I mean look at the size of Randy Ward last clay team. Not only were they tall but that were strong.

Mr_player
Freshman Team

Post by Mr_player »

i'm just proud of the clay boys for holding minford to that low of a score

Return to “Boys Basketball”