N-York @ Federal Hocking

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Re: N-York @ Federal Hocking

Post by NYBucksDad »

trimblebookworm wrote:Fed by 15-20...nelsonville is horrible :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulation BUCKEYE’S

I was going on Trimble’s threads and congratulating them on their wins but after seeing some of their post on here that won’t happen again.

GREAT JOB BUCKEYE’S

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Outcome of this one really surprised me. Way to go Buckeyes, way to represent the TVC-Ohio...keep up the hard work and you will go great places. Once again congratulations to N-Y, let this be a starting point for turning around last year!!!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

im surprised also. expected fh to be 2-0 at this point.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Wow. This was a surprise. Nice job Buckeyes. Federal may not win a game? They like play southern, Alex, Wheelersburg, Rock Hill and Fairland next. It will be a tough road.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Congrats Buckeyes!!!!

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

This has to be tough to swallow for the Lancer faithful. Hopefully this new coach is as good as they say he is, and can recreate what the last few coaches had going down there.

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

good win for the bucks.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

I Smell Bad............on your comment "what they had going done there." That's right "had going." FH has a group of young men that have had 3 coaches now in 3 years. There has been no program building in the past 2 yrs. Their past coaches for the last 6 or 7 years have been parents that road out the program with their kids then left..............what is now a mess for someone else to clean up and take all the heat for.

I'll reiterate what I said on the FH/Trimble thread, no ill feelings towards any of those parents but you can't build a program on parents running the show. It's gonna take a long time to get this program back on it's feet. Last outside coach was Paul Pettit and he brought quite of bit of success in the 10 or 11 years he ran the program. He was the last "non-parent" coach. There has been no kind of summer ball the last 2 years as coaches bailed out. No camps for a very long time for district kids like Trimble, Alex, etc has to stimulate interest in basketball, teach skills or keep them engaged with the program ??? non existent. Where has been the building up of this junior class, particularly last year, to get them ready to take over being varsity players ????? non existent. Current coach from my understanding was hired at the end of the summer and there was no time but to observe open gyms. Where is a freshman program to build both the freshman and JV Players instead of throwing them in one big pot with a different starting line-up every game out ???? non-existent. Big problem last year, carry over problem this year.

Hopefully the FH administration, parents and most of all PLAYERS will stand behind their new head coach and accept some change. It's time for the same old, same old to go away.

On last nights game..............FH came back from another VERY SLOW start to take the lead in the 4th quarter. A tie at 58-58 saw a questionable drama act from an NY player that resulted in a technical foul on an FH player. That was the game..........4 foul shots and the ball out of bounds. But that is no excuse to get yourself in that kind of situation. This stuff happens on the Varsity level and the boys need to learn that.

These boys have to decide to come to the floor with a hungry mindset and emotion to win. They've got to believe in themselves and they need floor time..............something they've been short on playing behind 2 classes that was loaded with athletes. That's where "programs" keep them coming on and that is what FH needs most...........a program.

FH players keep your heads up and fight!!! FH Coaches don't give up on these kids!! Stay with us for the long haul, it won't be easy but good things happen to those who persevere!!

Buckeye Boy
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye Boy »

Fed Hock is horrible. Good win for NY. Coach Cline is Coach of the year.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Buckeye Boy wrote:Fed Hock is horrible. Good win for NY. Coach Cline is Coach of the year.

buckeye boy it's Kline

Congrats Bucks on the win!
Last edited by orange-n-brown 365 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

fedhocker
Riding the Bench

Post by fedhocker »

Foxworthy I agree with your comments about the Fed program. Joe Butcher and Bob Vales were both very good coaches and people. I believe they still help out in the program in other ways then coaching, but an "outsider" view is exactly what this program needs. Coach E appears to be very knowledgeable and have a unbelievable passion for the game. This group of Lancers are young and they need playing time. Most of the Junior class got limited quarters last year because they sat the varsity bench and only got to play a quarter or two of JV. These are the same guys that are now being called upon to play varsity basketball.

As for the JV teams I think each year is a struggle for this program because there normally aren't enough bodies for a freshman team. Coach Thompson appears to be doing a fine job with this group but those kids have to want to step up and play basketball for him. Last night they showed no enthusiasm or will to win last night.

Its easy to talk down on a program that is rebuilding and for people to question what the coaching staff is doing, but lets face it, we're not at practice everyday, or meeting with the three coaches to see what there thoughts are. Its real easy and comfortable to coach from the bleachers.
Keep your heads up Lancers! Play hard and good things will come!

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Was Vales even ask to come back? Word is they told him he only had a one year contract.

Joe Butcher, Bob Vales and Brent Chadwell have done a great job with this program. When kids aren't dedicated
to work in the summer and no one wants to go to team camps or shot outs then not much a coach can do. I do know from a parent in the district that Vales called a meeting early to see who wanted to go to shot outs and camps and only two players showed up and all returning players were contacted. So blame the kids for not working in the summer. Some played Legion baseball and some worked on lifting with football so they made their choice. This has nothing to do with Parents coaching their kids. Coach Butcher stayed two years after his son left and Bob Vales and Brent coached for years before their kids even got their. Brent even helped the girls
program way way back.

fedhocker
Riding the Bench

Post by fedhocker »

athens78 wrote:Joe Butcher, Bob Vales and Brent Chadwell have done a great job with this program.

Can't agree more. Three class act men who are in it for the kids. They have been great for our school and community.

Tcat wahoo
Waterboy

Post by Tcat wahoo »

You have to throw Paul Paul Petit in that group.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

Fed Hocker, Glad someone else see this thing the same way. I want to re-emphasize that yes, these two past coaches were great people and did a great job but they also were working with once every 20 years physical talent and that makes coaching alot easier. History tells us in all facets of basketball that you don't have to be a super athlete to be a good basketball player, ask Larry Byrd. Basketball in not all instinct, IT'S LEARNED!!!

I also want to stand firm on the fact that the boys ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR NO SUMMER BALL AND NO, NOT ALL PLAYERS WERE CONTACTED. THAT IS A FACT!!!!

So, I want to believe that Coach Vales would never do anything like only contacting certain players and leaving the rest of the boys out. If that did happen shame, shame.

Athens poster, you don't know the inside if you are from Athens. Was the JV flat, you betcha, but when you rotate a different starting 5 every game there is no flow to their game.

Let's get beyond this and build from here. Not pointing unnecessary fingers but these players have had no particular attention come there way from our past coaches. Plain and simple it's time to rebuild so let's get in trenches and start digging!!!!

RedBaron
Riding the Bench

Post by RedBaron »

Foxworthy wrote:Fed Hocker, Glad someone else see this thing the same way. I want to re-emphasize that yes, these two past coaches were great people and did a great job but they also were working with once every 20 years physical talent and that makes coaching alot easier. History tells us in all facets of basketball that you don't have to be a super athlete to be a good basketball player, ask Larry Byrd. Basketball in not all instinct, IT'S LEARNED!!!

I also want to stand firm on the fact that the boys ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR NO SUMMER BALL AND NO, NOT ALL PLAYERS WERE CONTACTED. THAT IS A FACT!!!!

So, I want to believe that Coach Vales would never do anything like only contacting certain players and leaving the rest of the boys out. If that did happen shame, shame.

Athens poster, you don't know the inside if you are from Athens. Was the JV flat, you betcha, but when you rotate a different starting 5 every game there is no flow to their game.

Let's get beyond this and build from here. Not pointing unnecessary fingers but these players have had no particular attention come there way from our past coaches. Plain and simple it's time to rebuild so let's get in trenches and start digging!!!!

Better get your facts straight Fox. Everyone knew about fed havin open gym in the summer. Most didn't come because of baseball or football, and in Grant Smith's case, surgery. Some jus didnt want to come and thats a FACT.

RedBaron
Riding the Bench

Post by RedBaron »

fedhocker wrote:Foxworthy I agree with your comments about the Fed program. Joe Butcher and Bob Vales were both very good coaches and people. I believe they still help out in the program in other ways then coaching, but an "outsider" view is exactly what this program needs. Coach E appears to be very knowledgeable and have a unbelievable passion for the game. This group of Lancers are young and they need playing time. Most of the Junior class got limited quarters last year because they sat the varsity bench and only got to play a quarter or two of JV. These are the same guys that are now being called upon to play varsity basketball.

As for the JV teams I think each year is a struggle for this program because there normally aren't enough bodies for a freshman team. Coach Thompson appears to be doing a fine job with this group but those kids have to want to step up and play basketball for him. Last night they showed no enthusiasm or will to win last night.

Its easy to talk down on a program that is rebuilding and for people to question what the coaching staff is doing, but lets face it, we're not at practice everyday, or meeting with the three coaches to see what there thoughts are. Its real easy and comfortable to coach from the bleachers.
Keep your heads up Lancers! Play hard and good things will come!

Agreed fedhocker there usually are plenty of coaches in the stands and some even say they know what they're talkin about!

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

Feds defense is in need of a tune up more than anything. When the shots aren't falling, you better hope you have a good defense to counter or you'll get beat by 30. The D was lazy and uninspired until they finally realized they were down 15 to NELSONVILLE. They did a nice job in the fourth of forcing turnovers and making it a ball game but why not play with that intensity the whole game. Until the D steps up, the Lancers will struggle.

As far as the Technical foul goes...#12 for NY gave Grant Smith a little bump after Smith fouled him and then #12 got bumped back by Clark. Wasn't a smart move at all and the T wasn't a bad call. Gotta learn to keep your cool in situations like that.

Road doesn't get any easier for FH, Southern is an extremely tough place to play....or at least it used to be.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Sorry I'll just stay on the Athens threads. Since you seem to run this thing. Red Baron you are correct on the open gyms and other stuff, but I'm from Athens so I'll stick to them, not!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ive covered both Fed Hocks games thus far and I see nothing wrong with the team or the coach ... They are just inexperienced and haven't put a full 32 minutes together yet, the small lapses they have gone through in both games really cost them. (The third quarter Vs Trimble and the 2nd Vs Nelsonville) other than that, they have either outscored or were within 2 or 3 points in the other 6 quarters.

Ellcessor seems like a real good guy and pretty good coach too, ive sat right behind the scorers table and am able to listen to both teams coaches during timeouts and during the game ... He is very involved, very active, has good game plans and he cares deeply (from what I can tell through his emotions during the games) and those traits are all good things when your looking for a good coach.

When you have 5-8 players that really haven't seen much varsity action and they are having to live up to previous teams that were flat out outstanding, is very tough for a young and inexperienced team ... and on the coach too. Give the Lancers some time, I would not be surprised if they are 12-8, 11-9 come tourney time, but if they come together in time, Federal Hocking could cause a team major problems at the Jackson sectional (which is absolutly loaded by the way) ... Some team like Chesapeake, South Point or Fairland will look at the Lancers and think they aren't very good with a sub-.500 record, or possibly better, and could perhaps let their guard down in the tournament ... With FH having so many outside shooters, they have the ability to beat just about anyone on any given night.

Return to “Boys Basketball”