Minford at Waverly

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Minford at Waverly

Post by bucki4life »

Should be a pretty good game but Minford might have a slight edge because they have already played a couple of games and Waverly has not.

People better get ready for a great year in the SOC. this might be the strongest the league has been in years.

outsider79
Waterboy

Re: Minford at Waverly

Post by outsider79 »

Waverly is to green for an experienced Minford team but somehow finds a way to win a very close game. 66-61 Martin and Victor lead the way.

fast1
Riding the Bench

Post by fast1 »

Do the Tigers have a point guard who can bring the ball up the court and push it to the basket? They lost a few games last year to this lack of player. Trying to stall with the lead and turning the ball over and over. Good luck to all the SOC teams this season .

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly has two point guards who can get the ball up the court. They might not score much but will take care of the ball and distribute the rock to the scorers and play hard nose defense. Minford has played two games against inferior competition while Waverly has been playing against some pretty good teams in scrimmages in game situations.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Time will tell if the Tigers competition has them ready for Minford. There are no substitutions for game experience and Minford has a 2-0 lead in that.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Turning the ball over when trying to stall did not come from the point most of the time. There were many more issues than the point guard last year but that's all people want to blame. Last year is history so let's move on to this season.
A whole new attitude and look for 08/09 Tigers.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I will be interested in hearing how this game turns out.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Having those two point guards will make a huge difference this year. 85 percent of our problems last year was not having a capable guard who could take care of the ball and hit free throws. Put Kretzer on last years team and they win 8 or 9 more games easily, and he is a freshman.

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

first of all i think that when you stall it is generally the point guard and others on the wing that are the most responsible- but Waverly having trouble with the stall did not cost them many games- heck they didnt lead in that many!

Kretzer would have helped the team last year but he is not a point guard- he can assist in handling the ball and i think he will this year too.

the point guards this year will be fine!!! The older of the two plays the best defense while the freshman is the better ball handler and will probably score more.

Its like anything else - we got to be able to put the ball in the basket but where i see a big difference from last years team is -this team is dedicated to defense and they all seem to work hard and together as a team.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I'll take Minford by 8.I see the differnce being Minford pressuring Waverly's guards.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

tiger4life said, "85 percent of our problems last year was not having a capable guard who could take care of the ball and hit free throws."

Show me the turnover and FT stats from last year to prove that statement.

Again, that's all people want to do is blame the point position last year. There were many, many problems that lead to a 6-15 record.

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

This years team should be a breath of fresh air with the youth movement. The season comes down to having a positive home start with first few games on the home court. I hope we can get the student into the games and make them crazy and loud bring energy to the team. So The Hawhee Hooligans need to be in full effect.

The Tiger Eyez are Upon You!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

You're going back some years now, oh the memories., Hawhee's Palace packed every night.
Hopefully that scene returns to Waverly basketball.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

The guards are going to be just fine!!!!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Last year is over. This is a new team with new players and a new outlook. I'm looking forward to this season with high expectations. I was concerned with the youth of the team earlier but the freshman and sophomore that start are for real. Let's get it started !!!!!!!!

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

I agree with tigers2010onhuddle, 6-15 can not be attributed to poor point guard play or poor free throw shooting. You have to be doing a lot of things wrong to go 6-15.

For the Tigers to be successful it has to be all about defense. Defense Defense and more Defense. It won't matter how green Waverly is or how little varsity experience they have if they play in your face pressure defense for four quarters. They will feed off that defensive intensity and be just fine.

In the words of Rick Van Metre i don't care if you can shoot, i don't care if you can dribble, if you don't let the other team score you will never lose. You may not win, but i will take a 0-0 tie.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly will be much improved defensively - but they have a couple of kids that need to improve on their speed. It will be improtant to keep out of foul trouble.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I really think we have a shot at winning 14 or 15 ball games. I think tonight is important to get off on the right step. Confidence is all these guys need, the talent is there. I think if they can beat Minford then they will know they can beat anybody. Lose to Minford and confidence goes back down. I am really excited about tonight and think we will win by 8 to 10 points. Go Tigers

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

I think Minford will come out sky high as they have played some fairly bad teams and they are ready to see how good they are too.

this one will be a very, very, good one!

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

Very Impressive win for The Tigers. A team win guard play was good this team showed signs of being very good but left room to improve. Martin as i said before is the motor to this machine. Remy played very composed and hit shots when they were there. Look forward to watching this team grow together and our youth get the much needed exp. Coach Robertson and Coach Hobbs have earned their money so far and will continue to work to improve the Tigers. Its just one game but seeing this team for first time you see the potential is there. Enjoyed seeing the Hawhee Hooligans in there crazy hats hopefully they get more fired up and wild as the season continues.

Keep Working
The Wolf is only as strong as the Pack, and the Pack is only as strong as the Wolf.

The Tiger Eyez are Upon You!!!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”