SVC Predictions

svc_guy
Freshman Team

SVC Predictions

Post by svc_guy »

Its almost time...lets get the discussion going on how the teams will finish and POY candidates...
My predictions are as follows:
1. Unioto - Although I am concerned about how the turnover will affect this team they still have a lot of talent there to work with. Swackhammer at the point, nice bigs to work with, and of course Cole Cottrill at the wing. If they start fast I think they win it, if not, they could be pushed by 2 and 3.
2A. Adena - Nice starting five matches up with anyone if the SVC. Downside to this team is depth. If they can figure out how to manage this I think they could surprise Unioto.
2B. Westfall - This teams youth from the last two years will finally pay dividends for this year. They return the entire starting 5 and have a much deeper bench to support them. Wyman is one of the top players in the conference and Mink and Anderson will provide great scoring to stretch defenses. Downside is their size and ability to rebound against bigger teams.
4.Zane Trace - Mowrey is a great scorer that will take over games against the lower half of the conference. I am concerned about the supporting cast but I would not count them out as a dark horse.
5. Southeastern - Lost a great leader in Miles. If they can find someone to take that lead I think they could be a solid team to make some noise. Look for them to be better in the second half as they figure out their roles.
6. Piketon - Moore kid is very fundamental and will be their leading scorer. Just too many holes around him to figure out how they can compete against the top.
7. Paint Valley - Big man will have nice statistics this year but they lost a ton of talent. Team scoring will be a problem. Rebuilding year for sure.
8. Huntington - This is a team that's also rebuilding but it would not surprise me to see them get better as the year goes along and challenge the lower half teams. My dark horse of the lower half.

POY Candidates:

Mowrey ZT - Obviously at the top of this list as he returns as the defending player of the year. He will be heavily relied on for scoring. If Zane Trace can sneak into the top 2 or 3 I think he will be at least co-player of the year.

Wyman WF - A top 10 scorer who led the league in assist last year is poised for a breakout Junior season. Look for him to dominate teams as his physical body catches up to his skill level. If WF can finish in the top 3 I think he will be right there for POY.

Cottrill Unioto - Playing on a very talented team, he has the length and long range shooting ability to take over games. An unselfish player, I would like to see him take the lead role this year and see what he can do with it.

Jon Thomas Adena - Shifty kid who can score in bunches. Depending on how Adena fairs in the league he could be in the mix for POY. Tough call on him as he is playing along side Brian Hall who also can be a lead man.

rcarroll
Waterboy

Re: SVC Predictions

Post by rcarroll »

Rumor has it Adena might not have couple starters playing this year.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Sorry, ignore this.
Last edited by Wffan on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Nice post. Agree with most of it. I believe McFadden and Swingle will be enough to jump Piketon and maybe Southeastern.

Rumor I heard was one Adena starter. Not sure if more.

Excited for this season and my Mustangs!

The Great Pumpkin
Waterboy

Post by The Great Pumpkin »

1. Unioto
2. Zane Trace
3. Adena
4. Piketon
5. Westfall
6. Paint Valley
7. Southeastern
8. Huntington

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Zane Trace has lost an absurd amount of talent the last couple of years to transfers, imagine them with Boltenhouse, Hall, and Hill to play along side of Mowery. Wow. But, it still wouldn't surprise me if they finished 2nd this season. Mowery is a complete stud.

Adena, with all of their pieces playing, is extremely talented. But, how many aren't? And how is their chemistry? Those are huge factors in how the Warriors' season goes.

Westfall is a dark horse to make a run at the top and in the tournament. Team rebounding and defense is vital for the Mustangs' success, because we all know that they can score the ball. 4 outstanding guards will lead them to a lot more wins then they have had in the past.

Southeastern always seems to have more talent then anyone thinks and I think that may be true this winter. Nothing would surprise me out of the Panthers.

Paint Valley will be short on depth, but with McFadden and Swingle, they'll be able to score the ball and play excellent defense.

Piketon is another school that seems to have basketball players in bundles. I know they have a talented freshmen group to go along with a couple of nice juniors. They may be a year away from making an impact in the league, but never sleep on the Streaks.

Huntington has a nice junior class. They gained a lot of varsity experience last year and should take a step forward this year.

Overall, I think it will be a fun winter in the SVC. Mowery pushing for Matt Combs' All Time Scoring Record in the league will be something to watch for.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Please post any svc scrimmage results/thoughts

11/7/15-westfall 2-0 vs Vinton County and 1-1-1 vs Lynchburg Clay

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Westfall with another solid scrimmage today.

3-0 against Cardington Lincoln. Total score 59-40
3-0 against Delaware Christian. Total score 69-38

We scrimmage Hamilton Township and Greenfield Tuesday at Westfall.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

1. Unioto
2. Adena
3. Westfall
4. Zane Trace
5. Paint Valley
6. Southeastern
7. Huntington
8. Piketon

POY - Pierce Mowery & Jonathan Thomas as both will score 1500+ points.

COY - Matt Hoops 13-1 conference record

District appearances - Adena & Unioto

Regional Appearances - Unioto

Karl
Waterboy

Post by Karl »

winningaintcheap wrote:1. Unioto
2. Adena
3. Westfall
4. Zane Trace
5. Paint Valley
6. Southeastern
7. Huntington
8. Piketon

WHO GET'S UNIOTO if Hoops goes 13-1?

WhiskeyTwoFive
Riding the Bench

Post by WhiskeyTwoFive »

danicali- imagine that ZT team Mowery, Hall, Hill, Boltenhouse and Rittenhouse as your starting 5. It all started failing when they replaced the coach with Koker.

I think UHS and Westfall battle all year for the title...

Adena has a chance...revolves around the Seniors...Id like to see how Hall plays with the team without having to miss time.

PIERCE MOWERY WILL BE THE ALL TIME LEADING SCORER IN THE SVC...but after this fall I think he may be better off going to play FB in college

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Karl wrote:
winningaintcheap wrote:1. Unioto
2. Adena
3. Westfall
4. Zane Trace
5. Paint Valley
6. Southeastern
7. Huntington
8. Piketon

WHO GET'S UNIOTO if Hoops goes 13-1?
At Adena.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

I think league champion will have 2 to 3 losses. Unioto will not be undefeated this year. Adena and Westfall matchup very well with them. Look for a possible tie for title.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

svc_guy wrote:I think league champion will have 2 to 3 losses. Unioto will not be undefeated this year. Adena and Westfall matchup very well with them. Look for a possible tie for title.
Adena... Yes.
Westfall... Not so much.
Westfall can certainly match the guard play of any team in the league. Unioto has a new animal in the paint with the tandem of Hosley and Wheeler. I'm not sure Westfall can maintain post play long enough to hold off the bigs of Unioto.
Adena are the real contenders. Matching the athleticism of Unioto is possible, but consistency has to be there for the Warriors to make a run at the title.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

What does Adena have inside to compete with Unioto?

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Point Guard - Wyman - 15.1 ppg 4.4 assist(led svc), - Swackhammer - very nice guard but I think his distribution skills will be more valuable to his team. Avantage: Wyman

Shooting Guard - Mink - 12.1 points per game - Branden Kennedy - New starter(sophomore) - I really like the Kennedy kid but to think he will be more productive in this matchup against a senior would be too much to ask. Advantage - Mink

Small Forward - Chase Anderson - 14.4 ppg - Cotrill(U) - Not sure on his points per game but not listed in top 15. I am guessing around 10ppg. Cole is a great leaper who can hit the 3. Chase can fill it up from three but also play inside as well. I think these two will neutralize each other. Advantage - Neither.

Power Forward - Chase Adams - 7PPG - Eriq Hosley - I Believe about the same. I am not saying these two will guard each other but in terms of production I give the nod to Hosley for his defensive ability to alter shots and protect the paint. Offensively in terms of points I would say its a wash.

Center - Mason Peart - Around 6PPG I believe. Issac Wheeler - Not listed in top 15 but I am guessing around 11-12 ppg. Clear advantage to Wheeler on this one. Like his game. I will say I seen Peart play recently and he has really come along and will surprise some people.

Bench: WF - Jude, Wilson, Nunemaker, Trueman - Westfall is 4 deep this year which will really help against better teams. All will provide production.
Bench - Unioto - Lovely, Edler, Hill(sits out half year), Another Junior big man...sorry I cant remember his name.
- Both of these benches are worthy and can provide ample minutes when needed. I see no clear advantage here.

Summary: This matchup is about the numbers. Will the production of the guards from Westfall be better than the Bigs from Unioto. If you look at it on paper, its clear WF can matchup just find. The problem some are having right now is accepting that WF can be very good and Unioto might not be as good as last year. I have seen both teams and the eye test tells me this will be a great matchup. But, as they say, that's why you play the game!

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

The issue is probably people wondering if the worst defensive team in the SVCsportszone era can actually stop anyone. At all. They gave up 75 to an Amanda team that broke 60 one other time last year.
Sure they can score, but play some defense and the Mustangs will get respect.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

That's fair. The question was can they matchup. I believe they can. Like I said, the games will be played and the story will be told. Should be fun.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

A look at SVC basketball on SVCsportszone.com = http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk112315

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

My official predictions factoring in injuries and the preseason.

1. Unioto
2. Westfall
3. Adena
4. Southeastern
5. Piketon
6. Zane Trace
7. Huntington
8. Paint Valley

Also, there will be a shocking POY. Not sure if we'll get more than one 1,000 point scorer either (McFadden) although, Wyman and Hosley will get in the general range of it.

Should be an interesting and fun winter

Return to “Boys Basketball”