JV Team

Re: Alexander @ Federal Hocking 1/10

Post by kcarth305 »

Congrats to Alex on the win.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Listening to is on the radio it was at 27 or 30 torwards the end. This good have been a 50 point win by Alex if they would have wanted it. Grant Smith sounded like he had a great game.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

After seeing the Spartan men, yes, they are absolutely legit. Blaine has a great group of very quick, talented kids. Good basketball skills, and good basketball IQ's to go along with it.

Alexander has the potential to win the regional, with what they have, who knows what else. A deep talent pool, and a group of kids that you can plug one in, and sit the other, and not miss a beat.

Congrats to the "Men of Sparta" on their win tonight. Lancer men, regroup, chin-up, and play hard. Alot of season left. Keep working and playing hard.........

You ran into a buzzsaw tonight, period.

charstar
Waterboy

Post by charstar »

PHOTOS OF TONIGHTS GAMES WILL BE ON MY WEBSITE THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK. www.cslusher.shutterfly.com
When you get to the webpage go to the right hand side to FAVORITES and click on Boys Basketball 08-09 or Girls Basketball 08-09. This will direct you to the photos.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

Alex was very impressive tonite and well-deserving of their win. Lancers again had a hard time getting the ball to fall but give credit to a sticky, superb Spartan defense. Alex #24, Greg Frost, is an outstanding player and very fun to watch. Hang in their Lancer men and keep working. You had bright moments in the game. A pat on the back to Grant Smith who just kept working hard the whole night!

Lancers JV took a tough loss too but keep in mind Alex plays almost an entire Jr. roster/starting line-up on their JV so it was a very mature group of Spartans that you took on tonite. Fed plays 2 or 3 Jrs. too but also alot of sophomores and freshman. Not trying to make any excuses because Alex executed well. Best wishes to Jon Skidmore who played with a badly injured hand tonite, hope you heal soon!!

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

Congratulations to the Spartans.

Hayman
Waterboy

Post by Hayman »

Fox - I don't see your point that Alex was mostly juniors at the JV level. There are 6 on their JV roster. They get the play time they need to be better as seniors. Good junior players aren't just sitting varsity with no play time. Several of Fed's juniors show up on varsity roster, but they get little to no varsity and they do play JV (Sharp, Hedges, Campbell, McPherson). Fun game to watch, Alex outplayed FH, plain and simple. Alex has built a great program and they run it right.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

We throw the word "great" around rather loosely. We live in a world of hyperbole.

What does that make FH's "program"? Remarkable? How about Vinton County's? Stupendous?

The TVC isn't exactly the SEC of high school basketball. Let's see a stretch of seasonal hardware before we throw around "great."

gt13osu
Varsity

Post by gt13osu »

That is actually a great point orestes. Alex has done pretty good in the regular season, however when it comes tourny time, they always go out in the sectionals. To be great, you have to last more than one or two games in the tourny. Nothing is for sure, but this year could be the year they finally play at the convo since a while ago.

Hayman
Waterboy

Post by Hayman »

Alex has a solid program that builds its players. Does that make ya feel better Orestes. Maybe you have a sour taste in your mouth after last night. Alex fans believe the spartans can go a long way this year. Time will tell. I look for Alex to win sectionals at minimum, but its possible for them to go 24-25 games this year.

sball32
Riding the Bench

Post by sball32 »

Hayman wrote:Alex has a solid program that builds its players. Does that make ya feel better Orestes. Maybe you have a sour taste in your mouth after last night. Alex fans believe the spartans can go a long way this year. Time will tell. I look for Alex to win sectionals at minimum, but its possible for them to go 24-25 games this year.

I have to agree, Hayman. Gabriel has done an excellent job building from year-to-year. Alex is, like you said, a solid program that builds its players.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Seriously Orestes...Get off your high horse of knowledge...You've held a grudge against Alexander ever since they beat Zack Wires in 2002! :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Anybody got stats for Alexander? Or at least the high scorers?

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

All Alexander in this one. I thought it would have been closer, but Alexander could have won this one by 50.

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

baseballstud24 wrote:Anybody got stats for Alexander? Or at least the high scorers?

Frost had 21.

Baseballstud...i had mentioned earlier in the thread about the time I dunked on you and put you through the Spanish announce table at Fed Hock back in 01-02....any recollection of that?

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Oh yea...I remember that well...JR said and I quote..."Good God...it looks like a car wreck out on I95"...The sad thing was I only got into the game for about a minute and you destroyed me.

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

haha, i don't remember much of that night...but i do recall you having awesome highlights in your hair..

Hayman
Waterboy

Post by Hayman »

Spartan - Your right, Alex could have won by 50. But coaches showed class not running up the score. Starters came out early in the third. Someone said that Frost had 21 points, remember he played only two and half quarters. Same thing with Malone in JV. Im not sure he even got in second half and I think he had over 20. Congrats Spartans. Your the real deal.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

Haymen, point well taken about Jrs. getting JV time and not sitting on the bench but I believe you did not fully understand my point. First, Campbell does not nor has anytime this year played on JV. One Jr. who is doing a fine job on JV but is playing his first organized basketball from what I understand plays JV all the time. Until 2 games ago only 2 Jrs. were dressing and playing both JV and Varsity when Hedges also started the dual role.

When programs have big classes playing this happens at alot of schools so I'm not picking on Alex for doing this at all, what else are they to do. Alex has 8 Srs. making big contributions and FH only has 2 Srs. and 3 Sophomores in the program. This requires the Jrs., which is I believe the same number Alex has playing taking on dual roles. FH has been loaded with players for the past 4 to 5 years and now there is a gap in the amount of kids so you end up having alot of freshman being pulled up to fill the ranks. Also remember that there is a quarter limit of 90 under OHSAA rules. So while I'm not certainly the coaching staff it only makes sense the FH can't play 3 or 4 jrs. for 4 JV quarters and then ask them to come back and be THE bench for the varsity team. You have to calculate in illness, injury or the dreaded and hopefull never, but it happens academic ineligibility that can occur. If you've wasted too many quarters early on your bench can shrink drastically, does this make sense.

Case in point and go check the record books. 1970 Rio Grande University Sectional. Alex of all teams basically upset a strong Eastern Eagle squad but was disqualified after a freshman was found to have played more quarters than allowed. Very sad but the coaching staff has to keep a close eye on this.

FH started 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 Jr. and rotated the rest of their Jrs around Sat. night. Alex started 4 Jrs. and 1 sophomore, you only have one freshman on your roster. Not that this was the only reason for a lopsided score, it wasn't but it was a contributor.

Hayman
Waterboy

Post by Hayman »

Fox- Alex has adeep pool of talent, for sure. The reason one freshman is listed is partly because Alex has a freshman team. Does FH? If not, they should. They should schedule a few freshman games to get these boys playing time. Your JV roster is freshman heavy, but I bet they see little floor time. Its all about building a program. Sorry if I misunderstood your post. And honestly, Malone would be varsity anywhere else in the TVC. Alex is just that deep. Meadows was stepped down for playing time and experience. Hes the only one that dresses both.

Return to “Boys Basketball”