Varsity

Valley at Waverly January 13

Post by soccerfix »

Should be quite a game.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Re: Valley at Waverly January 13

Post by crab_apple4 »

I don't know much about Waverly... Are they having a good season? Who are their main players?

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

Waverly has had a very good year so far- but - they really haven't beaten anyone that they shouldn't. They have beat one fair team in Minford and then consider that they have beaten- pike eastern, rock hill, northwest,South Webster, and Portsmouth West.

If they really want to be good they might get some believers if they can beat Valley. This will could be a very good game, as I don't think either team can beat the other very bad. If Valley shoots well they can beat anyone in the league.

That being said about Waverly- I will say coach Robertson has done a great job with this group- when you consider last year and all the times they lost to teams they should have beat. A good team beats people they are supposed to beat and Waverly has done that- if they want to take the next step then they will have to win some pretty big games and this week they have Valley on Tuesday and Burg on Friday- I say if they can win one of those two then they are going to have a pretty good year!

As far as Valley goes I really think they can be in it to the very end and they might just win the league- but they must beat Waverly!

As you can tell this will have the makings for a very good game- good luck to both teams!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

This could very well be THE key game for both teams as they approach the midway point of the season. Since Valley beat Oak Hill I think this game is more important for the Tigers to win, especially at home.

This will be a very interesting match-up as both teams can run but I think Waverly will try to slow it down a bit.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Waverly better slow it down if they want to have any chance at all in this one........I'll guess Valley wins by 8 70-62.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

A big week for Waverly the biggest of the season so far. These games will go a long way in determining if Waverly is a middle of the pack team or a top tier team in the SOC. Valley is scary. Anyone who can beat Oak Hill deserves alot of respect. Waverly will have to perform better at the foul line and be on top of there game to be in these two games.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

This game is huge the winner keeps pace with Oak Hill assuming the Oaks don't get knocked off again. And I think Waverly has to have an inside game to beat Valley. When Oak Hill went to Hale Valeey didn't seem to have much of answer in defensive post. Now OHHS got away from that late and with #32 and #31 shooting lights out from downtown for Valley it made hard for the Oaks to have a chance.
For Waverly: Lundin big game, Roback D, D, and more D, Martin just do what you do. Kretzer are u only freshman?
For Valley: They have to see if they can run on the Tigers. Waverly likes to run too, but Valley is very fast. Have to shoot well, take crowd out of the game. And neutralize Waverly's post players.
Not only is Wavery playing for SOC, but maybe a good draw come tournamentand that be huge in that brutal sectional they are in.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

This game is huge the winner keeps pace with Oak Hill assuming the Oaks don't get knocked off again-----and Wheelersburg with 1 loss

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I think if Waverly tries to run, it will play into the hands of Valley, because that is their game.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

How big is Valley? Seems like Waverly plays the best when opponent can't match up with their size.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

valley goes from 5'9" to 6'4" but they'll run your guts out. They had Oak hills big boys panting in the first 4 minutes of the game.. oak hills big boys could score but could not keep up on defense valley got easy baskets underneath because OH not moving their feet .

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

As to the game, Valley lacks size but their strength is constant pressure and trapping. I believe handling that is Waverly's weakness. I'll take Valley by 10.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Everybody talks about Waverly's inability to handle pressure. I've been to every game and nobody has disrupted their press breaker. Every team has pressured Waverly and they are getting better every game bringing the ball up the floor.

bball21
Waterboy

Post by bball21 »

i think the indians win this one, waverly's crowd with factor, and the matchups will also be an issue, valleys gonna do what they do though, run teams off the court

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

I think this will be a good game.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Is this a tripleheader or just varsity/Jv? What time is JV game start? thanks

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

JV at 6:00p.m.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Waverly wins, can't remember the exact final score.

Folks let me tell you, the Kretzer kid is going to be someting special. Every game iv'e watched him play he keeps progressing & getting better. Waverly will be a very scary team next year, and up to when he graduates.

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

66-58 Final

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly jumped out 7-0 only to see Valley tie it up. Waverly went on another 7-0 run and the 1st qurater ended with the Tigers up 18-13. Kretzer drained 3 from downtown in the opening quarter.
Waverly lead 35-30 at the break. Kretzer hit two more 3's in the 2nd to lead the Tigers in the first half with 16 points.
Utley lead Valley in the first half with 12 (two 3's in the first quarter).
Waverly extended the lead to 9 after 3 at 53-42. Lundin lead the Tigers with 7 points in the frame. Kretzer hit his 6th and final 3 in the 3rd.
Waverly had as much as a 13 or 14 point lead in the 4th and it got as low as 7 at one point. The Tigers only hit 8 of 15 FT's in the 4th, allowing Valley to hang around.

WAVERLY SCORING:
Kretzer 21
Martin 17
Lundin 12
Roback 10
Robertson 3
Kelly 2
Remy 1
Waverly hit 16-26 from the line

VALLEY SCORING:
Utley 19
Yates 16
Arbaugh 9
Winters 8
Cunningham 5
Chaffin 1
Valley hit 17-23 from the line

The Tigers are playing some pretty good ball right now as they continue to get better.
7-2 overall
5-1 SOC

Return to “Boys Basketball”