redstreaks bball how far do the go in the tournaments????

CANNIBAL
All Conference

redstreaks bball how far do the go in the tournaments????

Post by CANNIBAL »

my thoughts are that piketon will do pretty good and far if they stay consistent and play well every game.

basketball
Waterboy

Re: redstreaks bball how far do the go in the tournaments????

Post by basketball »

They have the ability to have anice tourny run, but there are alot of other teams that have ability as well. Division 3 in boys is a very tough sectional becasue you have alot of teams playing each other that are in the same league such as the SVC. Watch out for North Adams and the SHL they are always competitive inthe waverly sectional.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

hopefully to the district finals!

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

hbk123 wrote:hopefully to the district finals!

Better focus on getting out of Sectionals,as that Waverly Sectional is stacked!!!!

OneBunter
Freshman Team

Post by OneBunter »

If Piketon is going to go very far in the Tournament, then thier Coaching Staff better get them to play much better team ball! He needs to put the clamps on a couple of players about shooting the ball as soon as they touch it. I have been to e few of there games where the opposing team should not even be in the game with Piketon, but they are for there are two to three guys that feel they have to shoot soon as they get whether they or open or not. When they do this they have no one underneath to rebound. If they do not change this now, they will struggle outside the Sectional!!!!

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

OneBunter wrote:If Piketon is going to go very far in the Tournament, then thier Coaching Staff better get them to play much better team ball! He needs to put the clamps on a couple of players about shooting the ball as soon as they touch it. I have been to e few of there games where the opposing team should not even be in the game with Piketon, but they are for there are two to three guys that feel they have to shoot soon as they get whether they or open or not. When they do this they have no one underneath to rebound. If they do not change this now, they will struggle outside the Sectional!!!!

onebunter is on the money with this one. The sectional and District road for Piketon will be brutal. They better come together as a "team" or they won't make it anywhere. Their talent will only take them so far!

Bob
Waterboy

Post by Bob »

Agree with the previous posts. The talent is there, the ability is there, but is the 'team' concept? They have good overall height, but seem more inclined to fire away from the outside than pound it inside. They took it right at the Kimsey boy last Friday for a half, but once they got up 18, inside the three-point line became off limits. Plus, being able to play up-tempo but controlled is a fine line, and they struggle with being able to walk it.

This Streaks team can win some games in the tournament, but they will have to put the team first to make it even out of the sectionals.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I've seen this team play both ways, fast and slow....regardless they figure out a way to win. I really don't think it's a matter of being "ball hogs". The last two games they were up 19 and went to cruise control....I think they lack a killer instinct.....I know coaches like to call off the dogs, but maybe we need to run up the score on someone. They've had a few games with three players in double figures, and Evan Legg seems to be able to get everyone involved, because he is very capable of scoring 15-20 himself. I think they do play as a team, every now and then someone is going to force a couple of shots, when you have two potential 1000 point scorers you have to expect that.
Teams can't match up with Piketon.....so everyone is playing a packed in zone.....we have to shoot some three's and open it up a little. I like how we forced the ball inside vs. Adena, and we are seeing more of that. But Smith and Brabson has proved over the years they can hit the three, so once they start hitting a few, I'm sure this team becomes even more dangerous.
I agree, getting out of the Sectional will be the biggest challenge, I'm sure the coaching staff is aware of what needs to be done. It's early....Coach Lisath is always talking about the next game....taking one game at a time...and getting better each night out. At 9-1, I can't complain or finger point...just sit and watch to see how it all plays out. It will get interesting down the stretch.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I plan on being at tonight's Piketon vs. Westfall game........it's hard to believe the negative comments about a 9-1 team........sounds a lot like Portsmouth fans.......we are 6-2 and you could swear by talking to our fans that we are 2-6.........we were 42-88 over the last 6 years coming into this season, and there's a good number of people I have talked to that can't seem to appreciate what our Trojans are doing so far or from where we've come.

I have no problem at all with criticism as long as there are some positive remarks made also. Piketon is 9-1...they've got to be doing something right!!! More good things than bad!!!

Good luck to Coach Lisath and the Redstreaks...........

Question for Redstreak fans: What is Piketon doing well at this point in the season?

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

To answer you question Trojandave, they are playing very good defense. The put bigs up front on the 1-2-2 press and give guards a fit! They have some very quick post players. Much of they're team is interchangeable. A lot of them are kind of from the same mold.

I think for them to go deep, keep up the defensive energy, and be patient in the half court offense. They have the ability to run, but when it's not there, the players are skilled enough to control the ball and make good passes without turning over and get good high percentage shots. Make the other teams play some long possessions of defense! PHS is deep. That's just another way to wear teams down. IMO

Good luck Streaks.

Double OT
Waterboy

Post by Double OT »

I believe Piketon is playing much better as a team. I think they proved that tonight, beating #1 Westfall by 21 points. With several players in double digits, that shows how much they have improved as a team. If they continue their team play and peak at the right time, they should go far in the tournaments.

Go Streaks!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I also watched the Piketon vs. Westfall game, and I have no idea where the comments about lack of team play came from. They ran a good half court offense, pushed the ball up the court when the opportunities came, they had some very nice assists of which several were passes from the top of the key to down by the basket. Defensively the Redstreaks looked solid, adding several blocked shots as well.

It's only the second time I've seen Piketon play, but I think that the comments regarding selfishness and lack of team play seem totally unfounded. Remember.........the Redstreaks are 10-1..........not 1-10.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

They are in a very tough sectional with the likes of North Adams, Peebles, Portsmouth, Westfall, and Minford to name a few. But they are capable of advancing deep as well as Porsmouth, Minford, North Adams, etc.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

trojandave wrote:I also watched the Piketon vs. Westfall game, and I have no idea where the comments about lack of team play came from. They ran a good half court offense, pushed the ball up the court when the opportunities came, they had some very nice assists of which several were passes from the top of the key to down by the basket. Defensively the Redstreaks looked solid, adding several blocked shots as well.

It's only the second time I've seen Piketon play, but I think that the comments regarding selfishness and lack of team play seem totally unfounded. Remember.........the Redstreaks are 10-1..........not 1-10.

TrojanDave.

Your post does not suprize me at all and I understand you being loyal to a former Trojan. However, bottom line, the 3 games that I have seen of Piketon has been 1 pass and jack it up from 4 feet beyond the arc. No rebounders in place. No movement. No screens. Southworth never getting any touches inside.

However, that being said, I haven't seen them lately and I believe your current assessment. I wish them well and hope they make a long tourney run. If they play the way they did when I seen them ,it will not happen.

Bottomline:They will not "out talent" teams in their sectional draw.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Did anyone hear the Westfall coach lose his mind on WKKJ after the game?

indiangirl
Waterboy

Post by indiangirl »

Did he really say "they played like a bunch of girls?"

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

The Streaks played a complete game against Westfall- pressure and movement on defense, excellent blocking out when rebounding, crisp passing and meaningful movement on offense. While I haven't seen every game they have played, this was by far their best game, in my opinion. This was the kind of game I have been expecting from them, based on the returning players from last year. I know every game won't be a thing of beauty, but they are capable of this kind of game every time they step on the court.

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

indiangirl wrote:Did he really say "they played like a bunch of girls?"

You can listen to the podcast on wkkj , and i must agree he lost it totally

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

I would think the school administration would have a problem with that show?

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

how about the redstreaks whooping up on westfall and zane trace at home this past week i know they won both games by atleast 20 something.

Return to “Boys Basketball”