Re: ATHENS @ BELPRE 1/16

Post by sportfolio »

Here is the scoring for tonight's game:

Athens 14 9 23 28 — 74
Here is tonight's scoring --
Athens 14 9 23 28 -- 74
Belpre 10 28 20 26 — 84

ATHENS (74) (5-4, 2-2)

Colin Pfaff 2 5-7 9, Ben McAdoo 0 0-0 0, Jimmy Herpy 1 1-2 3, Cori Butcher 5 4-6 15, Anthony Sylvester 0 0-0 0, Joey Germano 0 2-2 2, Matt Witten 13 2-2 34, Dean Maffin 1 0-0 2, Joey Stanley 2 2-2 6, Cameron Tope 1 1-4 3; TOTALS 25 17-25 74; 3-point goals: 7 (Matt Witten 6, Cori Bucther 1)

BELPRE (84) (4-6, 2-2)

Erik Wadeker 3 0-0 7, Channing Parsons 0 0-0 0, Scott Loyland 1 0-1 2, Pat Slattery 1 0-0 2, Markie Tate 10 4-10 26. Kelvin Eaton 2 2-2 6, Jared Azor 11 1-4 23, Josh Campbell 0 0-0 0, Rashwan Miller 0 1-2 1, Tyler Watkins 7 3-6 17; TOTALS 35 11-25 84; 3-point goals: 3 (Markie Tate 2. Erik Wadeker 1)

Witten had 28 of his 34 points in the second half and 15 in the fourth quarter ... For what it's worth, Athens played without the services of Frank Valentour who was in the first of a two-game suspension...not sure of the circumstances but assume some sort of team situation.

Larry Dallas
Waterboy

Post by Larry Dallas »

Athens should get out of the TVC. The officiating is awful on the road, and the facilities are worse.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Was this the first time Athens and Belpre ever played each other in basketball? I know this past fall was the first time they ever played each other in football.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Larry Dallas wrote:Athens should get out of the TVC. The officiating is awful on the road, and the facilities are worse.

I guess Athens should go undefeated then right. According to you the only times they get beat is if they get "jobbed" by the refs. Did you guys get bad calls in every game last year too? Face it you are not as good as you think. Welcolme to the bottom of the TVC. :( :(

This is funny you come to the TVC to be more competitive and still get smoked by teams in the TVC Ohio and Hocking maybe next year you can drop into the junior high circut and and possibly go .500 :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

I agree Bluegrass Vike, every time I see Larry Dallas post he or she complains constantly. Looks like they need to get a big towel to cry in because the season is not over yet.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Larry Dallas wrote:Athens should get out of the TVC. The officiating is awful on the road, and the facilities are worse.

Athens shot 25 foul shots and Belpre shot 21,most of those at the end of the game when Athens was fouling trying to catch up.Half way through the 4th quarter the fouls were 10 -2 in favor of the Bulldogs.Can't see where officiating made a difference in this game.Bulldogs 25-70 from the field and Belpre's 35-67 had a lot more to do with it.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

The officiating was fine last night at Belpre. We played Belpre back in the 80's when I coached. The gym is not an easy place to play, but any time you are on the road and the fouls are 10-1 in your favor you are pleasantly surprised.

Larry Dallas
Waterboy

Post by Larry Dallas »

It's not just the officiating and crappy facilities in the TVC, it also has a lot to do with academics. Athens is pretty much the Northwestern of the TVC.

Our kids work a lot harder in the classroom than say the kids at Vinton County or Nelsonville. This takes away from their focus on a sport. I guess on the positive side, Athens kids go onto bigger and better things. Most of the other athletes at the other TVC schools will simply fall through life's cracks.

There's always a silver lining.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

So your definition of "bigger and better things" is to hide behind a screen name and bash kids education. I find this post pretty funny considering your avatar is a used car salesman. Is this your dream?
I can say this, I am a graduate of Vinton Co and do quit well for myself. I went to a very good Big East school and graduated with honors. Whats your background? Let me guess Rio? Maybe OU? or possiblly Hocking College? Get out of SE Ohio, become something, then your post will have some validity. Nothing wrong with these schools my father is an OU grad, just saying....

You are right about 1 thing however. Nothwestern sucks in all sports too. Great school to compare yourself to. However lackluster sports programs is all you have in common.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Where was Frank Valentour?

Larry Dallas
Waterboy

Post by Larry Dallas »

BLUEGRASSVIKE wrote:So your definition of "bigger and better things" is to hide behind a screen name and bash kids education. I find this post pretty funny considering your avatar is a used car salesman. Is this your dream?
I can say this, I am a graduate of Vinton Co and do quit well for myself. I went to a very good Big East school and graduated with honors. Whats your background? Let me guess Rio? Maybe OU? or possiblly Hocking College? Get out of SE Ohio, become something, then your post will have some validity. Nothing wrong with these schools my father is an OU grad, just saying....

You are right about 1 thing however. Nothwestern sucks in all sports too. Great school to compare yourself to. However lackluster sports programs is all you have in common.

Hey Boy....You proved my point. I marked all of your mistakes. It's not your fault, genetics can be a very cruel thing.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Larry Dallas, You are what is commonly refered to as a chicken sh++, and Class A jerk. I don't think you are a true fan from Athens, just some little sissy that would wet their pants if some one said Boo to you face to face. The people from Athens are good people, and wouldn't want you anyway. They have way to much Class!!!

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Frank Valentour missed Friday's game at Belpre because of a team suspension and then will miss a second game but instead of it being Saturday (when Athens played Jackson at Wellston as part of the Hoops Classic (where Valentour had 18 points and was selected as Athens' player of the game). it will be next Friday's game at Nelsonville-York (also a TVC Ohio game)... in the meantime, he will be able to play at Logan on Tuesday.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

A few observations on this game...

1. Can Athens even play defense? There are 2 different ends to a basketball court with 2 entirely different objectives. Defense, or a least trying to play defense, is not very high on their list.

2. Athens was in the 1 and 1 @ 3:38 of the 3rd period. That is almost 1 1/2 quarters in the bonus.

3. Total fouls in the first half, 8 for each team. Totals fouls in the second half, Athens 10 Belpre 14. When Athens got into the 1 and 1 bonus @ 3:38 of the 3rd period the total fouls were Belpre 7, Athens 0. That means the rest of the game was 7 fouls for each team. Each team shot 25 free throws.

4. Athens played without 2 key people. This game could have a different outcome in Athens.

5. Belpre did a better job of trying to run their offense. The guards are slowly improving their ball handling. Less turnovers equals more and better quality scoring chances. Belpre is also improving in basic areas such as boxing out and their weak side defense, but, they do have times where they relax and allow the other team easy scoring chances.

6. Remember, these are high school boys, ages 15-18. They will make mistakes. As long as they continue work to improve themselves, they will get better.

Here is a link to the local writeup on the game from the Parkersburg paper.

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/con ... l?nav=5063

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Yes I just changed it I put on wrong thread sorry

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Larry Dallas wrote:It's not just the officiating and crappy facilities in the TVC, it also has a lot to do with academics. Athens is pretty much the Northwestern of the TVC.

Our kids work a lot harder in the classroom than say the kids at Vinton County or Nelsonville. This takes away from their focus on a sport. I guess on the positive side, Athens kids go onto bigger and better things. Most of the other athletes at the other TVC schools will simply fall through life's cracks.

There's always a silver lining.

And that silver lining would be not having to listen to you whine about pitiful refs, slandering coaches, calling kids a bunch of names, and generally proping yourself up as the great and mighty Oz.

Return to “Boys Basketball”