VC @ ALEXANDER

Sue E. Side
Freshman Team

Re: VC @ ALEXANDER

Post by Sue E. Side »

Alex couldn't buy a bucket all game and lost by 4!!!!! I went to watch as a neutral fan and thought Alex was dumb for playing to Vinton's tempo. They showed Vinton what would happen if they tried to run with them in the 1st. 16-5 or something around there. Barnhouse kid had a horrible game and had 1 point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought this kid was going to be good when I saw Alex play earlier this year. Vinton could not gaurd Alex out top thats for sure but Alex couldn't finish. Vinton did a great job on the boards and congrats on the win. I think Alex will get them @ Vinton.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I'm sure Coach Combs is already thinking about the Belpre game on Tuesday and not letting the Vikings have a letdown from tonight.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Sue E. Side wrote:Alex couldn't buy a bucket all game and lost by 4!!!!! I went to watch as a neutral fan and thought Alex was dumb for playing to Vinton's tempo. They showed Vinton what would happen if they tried to run with them in the 1st. 16-5 or something around there. Barnhouse kid had a horrible game and had 1 point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought this kid was going to be good when I saw Alex play earlier this year. Vinton could not gaurd Alex out top thats for sure but Alex couldn't finish. Vinton did a great job on the boards and congrats on the win. I think Alex will get them @ Vinton.

These are valid points Alex got outcoached.Thats why they didnt set the tempo. Alex couldnt buy a bucket because of the "D". Look at VC's games this year what are there opponents averaging around 45 a game? Alex is a good team and I expect another good one in a couple of weeks in McArthur, but also expect the same outcome.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I beleive I said in a earlier post Coach Combs gets the most out of his players.However he still cant golf a lick. :aaaaa87

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Sue, Sue, Sue

Has it crossed your mind yet that possibly the ineffectiveness of the Spartans tonight could maybe have something to do with the Vikings coach outcoaching your guy.

If it hasn't crossed your mind yet, then you just don't get it. Just another disappointing night for all the Spartans.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Congrats to VC.

It's not always easy to knock off the champ.

Sue E. Side
Freshman Team

Post by Sue E. Side »

My guy whoa whoa whoa, I wouldnt call Alex's coach my guy.hahaha. I went to a rival school of Alex and have some good friends that go to Alex. Vinton's Coach is a great coach but Alex just came out flat. My guy, lol.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Just got in the door from a GREAT game. A wonderful atmosphere for a heavyweight battle.

Congrats to Coach Combs and VC. The Vikes played solid D and absolutely dominated the boards. I'd also be interested in what the turnover margin was between the two teams.

Although Frost started out hot for Alex, as thing moved along, the Spartans couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

The officiating was extremely inconsistent. This crew was from the central district and I'd bet they won't be invited back to Alex anytime soon.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Ty Webb....I always liked the expression "couldn't throw it in the ocean if standing on the edge of the beach." :122245

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

Hats off to VC on the win,they came to play,Spartans didn't. Alex looked like they were flat and confused.VC you still have the team to beat!If Alex don't box out for rebounds,get a better inside game, play some Man To Man and don't look scared they wont beat you at your house.Just my opinion.I was impressed at how some of the Vikes can jump for their size also.Viking D stepped it up after the 1st,awsome job by the kids.Officials wasnt that bad so no one should blame that,seen calls on both sides that were ify,VC wanted it more!Good luck to both teams,it was a good game to watch.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Went to the game tonight and enjoyed the atmosphere in "The Alley". Vinton County started out slow as if they were intimidated by the hype of Alexander. They proved that they are a good defensive team and rebounded well. Free throws were off tonight as the game should have been over with 3 minutes left. This team may not be as powerful as teams in the past but they play well together. Work on those free throws boys and the same result will happen at home. Some of the posters that predicted a landslide are feeling pretty empty hearted tonight. Vinton County has an excellent bball program. Congrats to Coach Combs and the Vikes

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Wow! :roll: I guess we will see.

I guess we saw.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

The Gloaming wrote:
I think the difference this year is this....Alexander very good.......Vinton County....not nearly as good as they have been.
Alex whips VC Friday and then VC keeps it closer at home....but still loses to a better team.

I was actually in attendance for this game. I saw VC three times this season, this was the fourth, and I have been impressed every time. Not only does Combs run a class program, his kids play with class and they play their butts off. But, their defense is one of the best I have seen, man can those kids defend. I was talking to the Judge from VC, the one who does the radio and he told me that this team beat Brookhaven over the summer and they are only giving up 39 points a game. VC is a very good TEAM, I mean TEAM.

Alexander is a very good team also, so the next VC game I see, will be when Alex goes to McArthur. Can some one tell me when this game is?

Great game and great atomsphere. Good luck to both teams in the future.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

According to my schedule the game is February 10th

Larry Dallas
Waterboy

Post by Larry Dallas »

Don't worry Spartans, help is on the way. My son will be enrolling on Monday. I hope Coach Gabriel gives him a chance to make the team.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Great job by the Vikings. Controlled tempo, and just took the game. The rematch will be of equal billing I am sure.
The Viking popcorn is calling my name in two weeks.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Congrats to VC on the win. You proved why you are the champs. Alex did not play their tempo of game. Credit VC for their in your face defense. Wayyyyyy too many turnovers for Alexander and no rebounding. Jake Hedrick was the only Spartans that impressed me on the boards tonight. The officiating was awful, but that's no excuse because it really was bad both ways. I'm not going to say Alex got outcoached because I think Gabriel was trying to get his team to increase the tempo, but the boys just looked flat. You can coach and coach, but it's up to the boys to execute. The Spartans could not. I felt like the Spartans were most successful in the 2nd half when they got the ball inside. Granted Tolar got in foul trouble (very cheap foul trouble), but when he came back in the 4th quarter, they stopped throwing it inside and started chucking 3's...Anyway, regroup Spartans; I believe you play Athens next. This will be a tough matchup. Come out fired up and get back on the winning track.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

I don't understand when teams lose that people always complain about the officiating. There will always be calls that seem to be a little iffy (both ways), but the refs last night kept control of the game. It is so easy to make the call from the stands because you are above the event. I went to a D1 school north of Dayton and played soccer for 25 years. I saw my first high school basketball game 5 years ago at Vinton County. Great atmoshphere, loyal fans, I love it. Looking forward to my kids playing for Coach Combs. Just remember these are young men and they are still learning in life.Some peoples comments on here shows their morality.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

There was alot of banging going on. Give credit to the officials, for the most part they let the two teams play, just what you would want when two 9-1 teams play.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Another factor to VC winning this game is depth. VC had 9 players enter the game in the 1st Q and I dont believe Alex subbed untill the 2nd Q. When VC went on that big run in the 1st and 2nd Quarters I think they wouldve put the game out of reach before halftime, but Grillo and Allen, VC's best 2 ball handlers, were sidelined with foul trouble and the Vikes had to slow the pace due to this. Alex is a very good team, however I feel the better TEAM won. The Vikes play sound in your face "d" and have the depth to keep coming at you. This as I posted earlier possed big problems for Alex.

Alex was up 16-6 at 1 time and VC made the proper adjustments on "d" and changed the pace of the game to fit their style. When VC went on their runs Alex had no answer. They had to chage what they were doing because VC was forcing their style on them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”