Coach fired for running up score 100- 0

robycop3
All State

Re: Coach fired for running up score 100- 0

Post by robycop3 »

As I said earlier-the coach was fired for PUBLICLY DISAGREEING WITH THE SCHOOL'S BIG DADDIES. Those gents shoulda been called up before whomever they answer to, for suggesting the game be forfeited. That's just plain disloyalty to their own school & some of its student-athletes.

I reckon the Dallas Academy folx knew their team was gonna take a hammering every game, but they opted to play in that league anyway. And I see almost all the stink is being raised by the COVENANT officials, not those of Dallas Academy.

About all the parents of Covenant students who were interviewed disagreed with the firing of Coach Grimes. Again, I hope they hafta pay him a big chunka change for his dismissal. What did HE do wrong? He didn't play! Again, no coach worth a hoot is gonna insert players, especially lower-echelon players & tell them not to do their best. Since these sub players might not ordinarily get that much playing time, that was THEIR time to shine, & I believe their coach knew that, too, & thus allowed them to play on.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

chicken_coop wrote:Gotcha, ok so they must have played last year and etc? What was the score of that one? Or was this the first year for bball?

I don't know what the previous scores were or how long they have been playing but both schools have been playing for at least four years and they are placed in their 'districts' by the state association based on size and location so they have probably been playing each other for awhile. Dallas Academy (the loser) has not won a game in the past four years.

Four years ago when this particular coach took over at Dallas Covent (the winner?) they were the ones being beaten 80+-10 range but they decided to get better by working hard. While this team of 8 girls have only won about 50-60% of their games this season, they have been competitive with almost everyone on their schedule--even when they have kids foul out and/or are out sick and have to finish the game with only four players. Now their coach has lost his job for saying that his girls did nothing wrong and played within the rules of the game, did not press and did not go out to 'run up the score.' He thought his girls deserved better than for their administration to say that they were 'ashamed' of them. Too bad the girls played that well--they probably feel terrible about it now. Too bad the kids treated it like just a game.

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

Personally I don't believe there is ANY excuse for beating an opponent like that. There are too many things a coach could and should do to prevent that large of an amount. What is wrong with telling your kids that, "Considering the score is 65-0, I would like you to pass the ball at least seven times before you shoot." The subs would understand and would probably have more respect for you than telling them to "Pile it on." An earlier poster is right though, in todays sports enviroment there is little honor, integrity or sportsmanship. It is all about me. Self gratification. UGLY.

The Man on the Microphone
Riding the Bench

Post by The Man on the Microphone »

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there is a good possibility that the coach was fired because he posted his opposition of the school administration on a website. The firing may have not been directly related to the game.

Also, as drrabbit suggests, having ADHD does not suggest a student cannot perform as well as a student without the disorder. If truth be known, probably many of the top athletes of every sport have some symptoms of ADHD.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Yes, I agree, this coach had to do a little bit more in order to get fired. No one is really mentioning the exact reasons for his firing, but I'm sure that his actions during and after the game was part of the reason for his firing. This coach obviously has no class, sportsmanship or integrity. Beating teams 100-0 teaches your players nothing. There are many things that make a basketball team a good basketball team, and having class is one of them. Making new school records is not what basketball is about. It's too bad that the coach can't understand that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”