Federal Hocking Lancers

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Re: Federal Hocking Lancers

Post by The Gloaming »

Yes, and the last time that I saw a Howie coached team with some size, was around 2003 and 2004 with Dill and Cross, plus the much hyped Cozart at the shooting/point/everything guard, and the much smaller Fed Hock team handed their heads to them in 2004 when Dill was a senior, at Reedsville and in Stewart. There was no slamming the ball over any Lancer in those games, the way I remember it. Joe Butcher just seemed to have Howie's number, if memory serves me right.

Hope that Howie can work some magic at the Fed, it has been a few down years for a historically successful, and proud program. Let's see how it plays out this year.[/quote]

Fed Hock split with Eastern in 2003(but won the league)
Fed Hock lost both games to Eastern in 2004
Beat Eastern twice in 2005
2005-2009 FH owned Eastern

However I witnessed some big Howie coached teams in the early 2000's that destroyed FH... won those games by close to an average of 30+ per game, the Lancers did knock off the Eastern squad that went to State in 2001(which completely baffles me)

That said, I anticipate this FH team will be very good defensively and very mediocre offensively. I'm guessing lots of games played in the high 30s-low 40's.
The Parsons kid can play but will need someone else to help carry the offensive load.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Sorry Gloaming, that is why I said "around". I was off by a year. I was thinking 2005 on, that was when I was following Fed Hock basketball closely. I think that 2004 was Cozart's freshman year, when Dill was throwing it down over Jonathan Baldwin from Fed Hock. My bad.

Destroying the Fed Hock teams from the early part of the decade when Pettit coached is well remembered as well.

And I certainly agree with you. With their size, they should be able to keep the score low, but offensively, they are going to be challenged.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

After watching the preview I think howie may regret his coaching change

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:After watching the preview I think howie may regret his coaching change
Uh, not after seeing Eastern play ... Federal Hocking may not have looked great - but they definitly looked better than the Eagles ... Plus, they were up in Logan all morning playing in a scrimmage, and then point guard (Parsons) injured his ankle and didn't play later in the day at the preview. One last observation: The Lancers were playing by far the best team at the preview, Warren ... They tend to make any team look bad.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I would disagree and way fed hock looked the worst. Eastern didn't even try. Carnahan and his boys will be ready when fed comes to town. I think belpre looked the best by far. You could see on howies face how much he hated coaching the group he was with. Just my opinion ;)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:I would disagree and way fed hock looked the worst. Eastern didn't even try. Carnahan and his boys will be ready when fed comes to town. I think belpre looked the best by far. You could see on howies face how much he hated coaching the group he was with. Just my opinion ;)
I was sitting next to a guy who watched the scrimmages up in Logan Friday - he said Coach Caldwell was his usual self all morning ... Coaching, yelling, stomping, etc... etc... I've always known Howie to take it easy during the preview, and that's what it looked like to me Friday night ... I think by mid-season, Fed Hock will be a descent basketball team ... I know not having their point guard out their really hurt versus Warren, who plays a lot of pressure man-to-man defense.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Very true. But I also think howie expected a little more talent leaving eastern and going to fed. But I think fed and eastern will be pretty even this year. One things for sure the nest will be rocking when howie comes back to town. Saylors size will be tough for the hocking teams to control and the boy shooting outside but other than those 2 players I think fed will struggle

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Federal Howie rules!

:12224

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Dill and Cross both graduated and played in 2004/05 season with Cozart being a Junior and the Lancers did sweep by around 15 or more each game. Lancers also split in 2004. I know Federal has talent coming they may start a couple soph. and there junior high is loaded so Howie has some talent and lots more coming then Eastern.

Overall I thought all the teams talent wise were way way down. Warren was the best team but still talent wise way down from last year. Trimble, Eastern will struggle to win games. Miller will be better then the last several years, Belpre will be okay if they keep head cases in check, Alex my be smaller then I've every seen them, Athens will be fine Vinton will to well, Southern is much better, Wahama will be the team to beat if they don't have a slow start like last year with football running a late. Federal and it's 7 footer.........they may be better without him.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

That 1-3-1 they tried to run was terrible

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greatone wrote:Dill and Cross both graduated and played in 2004/05 season with Cozart being a Junior and the Lancers did sweep by around 15 or more each game. Lancers also split in 2004. I know Federal has talent coming they may start a couple soph. and there junior high is loaded so Howie has some talent and lots more coming then Eastern.

Overall I thought all the teams talent wise were way way down. Warren was the best team but still talent wise way down from last year. Trimble, Eastern will struggle to win games. Miller will be better then the last several years, Belpre will be okay if they keep head cases in check, Alex my be smaller then I've every seen them, Athens will be fine Vinton will to well, Southern is much better, Wahama will be the team to beat if they don't have a slow start like last year with football running a late. Federal and it's 7 footer.........they may be better without him.
The talent level did seem down - but that is becuase ALL THE TEAMS are so very young! I don't thik I have ever seen so many freshmen and soph playing in a preview ... The only two teams that had senior dominated line-ups were Wellston and South Gallia.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

There was a lot of inexperience on the court

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

The Lancers were tired, had a key injury, and faced one of the best programs in southeast Ohio yesterday. There is nobody on their schedule that is as good as Warren. The way the warriors shot yesterday I don't believe any team at the preview would have come within 20 points of them. Howie will have them prepared for a run at the league title. For the pot stirrers who think that Eastern will be better than the Lancers, you would have to be either severely biased or crazy to honestly believe that.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Best of luck to the Lancers for their season....that is probably the best the Warriors have looked in the preseason, ball movement, defense, and shooting....that is hopefully what we will continue to see into the regular season....they had better as the competition in the SEOAL will be very tough....Logan, Jackson, and Gallia all look to be better this year....and Meigs, Belpre, Athens, FFrye, and Marietta will all be looking for some payback....Warrens preview with Waterford starts at 6 tonight at the Warriordome....

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

gymrat88 wrote:The Lancers were tired, had a key injury, and faced one of the best programs in southeast Ohio yesterday. There is nobody on their schedule that is as good as Warren. The way the warriors shot yesterday I don't believe any team at the preview would have come within 20 points of them. Howie will have them prepared for a run at the league title. For the pot stirrers who think that Eastern will be better than the Lancers, you would have to be either severely biased or crazy to honestly believe that.

Warren is a good team but I could have hit those threes with a broken arm. Fed didn't have a man within twenty feet of the shooter that just kept nailing them.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Federal Hocking & Coach Caldwell BOTH had a long morning scrimmage at Logan ... the Lancers AND Coach Howie left it all on the court when they were in Logan ... within a couple possessions in some half court work FHS PG injured his ankle - never saw the court the rest of the day ... Howie has Fed Hock working on the keys - discipline at both ends of the court being the biggest ... do they have short comings? -YES! ball handling overall is weak especially when your PG is out ... the BIGS inside need to learn to play their positions - Howie WILL get that done as the year goes along ... FED HOCK will be fine - league champs? probably not ... will the Lancers have a say in who DOES win in the TVC? NO DOUBT IN MY MIND ...

dennisdrinksbud
Freshman Team

Post by dennisdrinksbud »

are good.

Return to “Boys Basketball”