SEOAL

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

SEOAL

Post by warriorfootballer »

Curious how the league is gonna look this year, any thoughts?

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: SEOAL

Post by jottings »

I look for the Warriors to make a clean sweep this winter. WLHS lost three close games inside the SEOAL last year, but the Warrior JVs were league champs at 11-1.

Portsmouth and Chillicothe should be two and three. Rest of the league should be a toss-up.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Jottings may be right. But I'm sure there will be a surprise or two.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Each of the three teams you named lost key players
Portsmouth lost Bendolph and Underwood
Chillicothe Ragland and Manion?
Warren Austin Cunningham and Grant Venham

Im sure Im missing more but just those that come to mind

My prediction
1. Portsmouth (Lots of depth and a LOT of seniors)
2. Chillicothe (Zach Johnson steps up and they have the best defender in the league in Malik)
3. Warren (Lost two BIG players Cunningham and Venham and could struggle early)
4. Jackson (Colt Chapman and Co. could surprise a team or two)
5. Logan (Played better towards end of the season and could have a good season)
6. Gallia Academy (Has some players and if they can get a team to play their style of game they'll win, just hard to do that though)

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Have to agree, The Trojans are the team to beat as we begin the season.Loads of talent, tons of confidence, and a desire to Finish what they started last year!

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Jottings wrote:I look for the Warriors to make a clean sweep this winter. WLHS lost three close games inside the SEOAL last year, but the Warrior JVs were league champs at 11-1.

Portsmouth and Chillicothe should be two and three. Rest of the league should be a toss-up.

you must not be aware of the seoal!?!? that is a serious statement you just made??? jv's????

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

My prediction for the SEOAL in 2011-2012 is the same as trojan7's:

1. Portsmouth........with 13 of 15 players back from the state tournament roster, this is the Trojans' best chance since joining the league in 2007 to win it outright.
2. Chillicothe..........London and Johnson are solid players, but will Coach Kellough's supporting cast step up?
3. Warren........two key losses in Cunningham and Venham, but Coach Maddox always has a good team, and this year will be no exception.
4. Jackson........probably will be the most improved team in the SEOAL, with Chapman, McNelly, and Ray leading the way, but it will be tough to move into the top 3.
5. Logan...........Chieftains still trying to build the program back under second year coach Helber
6. Gallia Academy........Blue Devils have been down for a while but maybe the kids will adjust to Coach Moore better in his second year.

Portsmouth's Dion McKinley is my preseason pick for SEOAL POY, while Jackson's Heath McKinniss is my choice for SEOAL COY. Chillicothe's Malik London is my pick to be the defensive POY in the SEOAL........I'm not sure if they give that award, but he is one of the all-time best defenders I have seen in high school basketball.

I also think that the SEOAL will have two teams in the regional tournament come March, with Portsmouth having an excellent opportunity in D3, whiile Chillicothe, Warren, and Jackson could be battling for a Sweet 16 berth in D2.

The main reason I am picking McKinniss to be the COY is because of where Jackson's program was before he took over last year, and the Ironmen should be over .500 in 2011-2012..........Eugene Collins of Portsmouth has done a similar job, with a Final 4 on his resume, but he is my pick to be the SE D3 COY, so I didn't want to be a complete homer.

My All-SEOAL first team is:

Dion McKinley, Portsmouth
Wayne Evans, Portsmouth
Malik London, Chillicothe
Zach Johnson, Chillicothe
Colt Chapman, Jackson

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

I think it's Portsmouth's title to lose, with Chilli and Warren close behind.
I agree that Jackson will be the darkhorse. Probably not enough firepower to win it, but the I-men could play spoiler. McKinniss will move Jackson to the next level in the near future if the boys there will buy into his program entirely.
I don't see Logan and Gallia seriously threatening anyone. Logan will be a work in progress for a while. Not sure how long the Gallipolitans will be patient with their coach if GA doesn't produce soon.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

jgordon0315 wrote:
Jottings wrote:I look for the Warriors to make a clean sweep this winter. WLHS lost three close games inside the SEOAL last year, but the Warrior JVs were league champs at 11-1.

you must not be aware of the seoal!?!? that is a serious statement you just made??? jv's????
My friend he may know more about the SEOAL than anyone on here. He counts decades he has been covering the SEOAL.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

fighting_falcon wrote:
jgordon0315 wrote:

My friend he may know more about the SEOAL than anyone on here. He counts decades he has been covering the SEOAL.

I know who Jottings is, that's why I was baffled with his statement!! I can't see how Warren is the front runner because of their JV squad??? that makes no sense.....it'd be different if Warren was returning Cunningham and Venham and added a strong Jv team into the mix....but that's not the case at all.....smh!! I don't know what SEOAL that Jottings is following for the 2011-12 season, because Warren(though they may be good), there is no way they are the front runners!! All I'm saying is to be as informed as Jottings usually is! His statement seems like a mis-informed prediction, given what each team in the league has returning.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

The three teams mentioned will battle for the league title....will be enjoyable to see how this works out...Warren hasn't lost to anyone except Portsmouth and Chilli during the regular season in the last 2 years...everyone knows Bendolph made Portsmouth a different team last year, just look at the difference in game 1 vs game 2 against Warren last year.....and with the loss of Underwood they will be as challenged as Warren will be to replace Venham and Cunningham....and Chilli will be Chilli, but they have to replace Manion and Ragland....all 3 teams have major rework to do, and what coach has the best gift to get their team playing at the highest level the earliest, because one game will make a difference in this years race.... and don't count out any of the other 3, none like to lose and will be capable of stirring the pot...can't wait!

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

warriorfrosh wrote:The three teams mentioned will battle for the league title....will be enjoyable to see how this works out...Warren hasn't lost to anyone except Portsmouth and Chilli during the regular season in the last 2 years...everyone knows Bendolph made Portsmouth a different team last year, just look at the difference in game 1 vs game 2 against Warren last year.....and with the loss of Underwood they will be as challenged as Warren will be to replace Venham and Cunningham....and Chilli will be Chilli, but they have to replace Manion and Ragland....all 3 teams have major rework to do, and what coach has the best gift to get their team playing at the highest level the earliest, because one game will make a difference in this years race.... and don't count out any of the other 3, none like to lose and will be capable of stirring the pot...can't wait!

I beg to differ! It's Portsmouth's league title to lose! It'd be an upset if anyone other than Portsmouth won. I don't see it as a 3 way race. No Cunningham, No Venham...Portsmouth still has Evans & Mckinley!?!?!?!?! What Portsmouth lost and has coming back is apples & oranges to what Warren lost and has coming back! and yes Bendolph did make a difference last year, but don't fool yourself into thinking Warren dominated us without Bendolph....Portsmouth was leading the first 3 quarters at portsmouth then led the whole game at Warren......You'd have a better argument next year, but this year PHS is loaded with seniors! Now, anything is possible in hoops....I'll give you that....but it seems to me that many on here thinks, PHS is bunch of nobodies without bendolph........I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....cause PHS is getting hardly NO respect! Warren is the front runners??? how???

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Portsmouth IS the frontrunner out of the gate because of their final 4 appearance last year and they have so many back....but I say don't slip or you'll go from 1st to 3rd in a heartbeat....Warren may start 5 seniors this years, kids that have grown up playing together and Portsmouth's JV hasn't come close to beating them the last 2 years....and Chilli will be very talented again....is will all start to shake out by mid December.....

gotribe
Waterboy

Post by gotribe »

Warrior frosh, that is another strong statement to make about Warren starting 5 seniors. Especially considering Leffingwell started as a soph. and the athletic ability and skill of sophs. Patten and French. Those two will be on the floor A LOT. Ward, Hastie, French, Patten, and name the fifth. Just a guess though!!!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

gotribe wrote:Warrior frosh, that is another strong statement to make about Warren starting 5 seniors. Especially considering Leffingwell started as a soph. and the athletic ability and skill of sophs. Patten and French. Those two will be on the floor A LOT. Ward, Hastie, French, Patten, and name the fifth. Just a guess though!!!!!
French will start along with Leffingwell

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I would think the Trojans would be just about everyones favorites. Bendolph was a difference maker but he didn't even play the first half of the season ! Last season Portsmouth played in a holiday classic in Florida and lost down there to some good teams ! This year they don't play those teams and no disrespect to any team on the schedule but there no Los Alimitos or anything so that could and should be one less loss for the Trojans ! Warren and Chillicothe should battle for the 2,3 spots but watch out for Jackson i think they will be a very good team.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

I dont think it matters what we think. I say lets get excited and support those on the floor and on the chairs. GOOD LUCK

Bigbluewarriorfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigbluewarriorfan »

I have herd rumors that Leffingwell is not playing this year along with Chas Miller. I have also herd that Fivecoat is coming out who hasn't played since he was a freshman who started jv. It will be intersting to see who does start for Warren this year.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

Post by warriorfootballer »

why would leff and chas not play? leff has been playing varsity since he was a freshman, that experience is invaluable, and a good guard can be hard to come by. i hope that's all rumors. have the warriors held tryouts yet?

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

warriorfootballer wrote:why would leff and chas not play? leff has been playing varsity since he was a freshman, that experience is invaluable, and a good guard can be hard to come by. i hope that's all rumors. have the warriors held tryouts yet?
It's no rumor it real, Dylan and Chas are not playing this year and it is of their on decission as they are going to concentrate on goals they are setting for themselves as far as football goes.

Return to “Boys Basketball”