Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Re: Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

So does this mean he is able to practice right now?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

not sure,but my guess would be ,yes...the reason I say that,is because Mason Jordan,came back from Tennessee,and he practiced with the football team for the first 9 weeks,and was allowed to play in week 10 game at Western Brown.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Thats what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Within the next 10 days, we should know the status of Tory Horne and perhaps Mason Jordan.......it won't be until January that we know about Dion McKinley........

One thing that I think people will be impressed with is how the Trojans play as a team.......yes, they will press and run and in the process make some turnovers and allow some easy baskets.......yet also at the same time they will make some plays with that style.......I really like our guard setup with London Malone at the point flanked by Wayne Evans and Forrest Johnson.....two kids who can go for 20+ on a given night.....London is a perfect compliment to Wayne and Forrest because he is totally unselfish.......then you take Tre Underwood who is a beast on the boards for his size, and Patrick Underwood who will play steady basketball at both ends......this is a pretty nice starting 5.

The bench will get good minutes because of Portsmouth's style of play.......full court pressing most of the game means a lot of subs.......and we have some very capable kids off the bench.

Then there's the intrigue of adding Tory Horne, Mason Jordan, and Dion McKinley.......the cement hasn't dried on this year's Trojans.......there's still some footprints we can put in it.

I am making no predictions on the upcoming season........but I am excited from what I have seen so far from Coach Collins and how he runs his program........and the kids like playing for him.

Hopefully this will FINALLY be the year that we can make an upturn with our Trojan cagers......we have been down long enough.

jgordon0315: Check your PM's........

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Trojan Dave,

As always, it was great talking to you tonight at the Zane Trace tip-off classic. I appreciate all the good words you had for our team. Likewise, we will be wishing the Trojans well this year, and we want to see them return to the top, too. Anyone who loves this wonderful game in this part of the state knows what Portsmouth Trojan basketball means. It has been a beacon for many years all across the state of Ohio, and it's time for them to be back at the top. We hope Coach Collins continues to teach these young kids; the most important thing is to just BELIEVE! It doesn't matter what anyone says except that all those players, coaches, and TRUE fans Believe!

Good luck this year, and we hope to see you again down the road!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coach Kelley: Thanks for the kind words about the Trojans.......and likewise, I enjoyed talking to you and the other PHS coaches about basketball........looks like the Redstreaks will have another very good season, and the void left by the graduation of Cody Smith and Jordan Brabson seems to be filled with Vulgamore, Lewis, and Helton. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Piketon in the regionals again.

I'm sure I'll see you down the road somewhere......and I would like to see the championship of the Pike County Tournament which should be Piketon vs. Waverly.

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

That is a brutal schedule,no D3 school in the area,including Piketon,Burg,Peake,could go through that without some L's.

balltime
Waterboy

Post by balltime »

Try to clear up Tory Horne situation-Tory and parents did nothing wrong were given wrong or no info about transfering.This should be taken care of soon.The kid should not be punished for mistakes of high school admimistrators.Will know more fri.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

balltime wrote:Try to clear up Tory Horne situation-Tory and parents did nothing wrong were given wrong or no info about transfering.This should be taken care of soon.The kid should not be punished for mistakes of high school admimistrators.Will know more fri.

I'd say if Horne wants to play somewhere he probably ought to stay put and attend a school for a while and quit changing schools every year right before every basketball season.

If he stays put and quits transfering in and out...then he is eligible...that simple.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Horne has a meeting with OHSAA on the 10th (which is tomorrow).....I've almost never seen or heard of them approving something like this. He better have some real deal circumstances for transferring 3 times in two years.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

sometimes kids, has no choice in these matters.not sure what Hornes situation is,and its none of my buisness so I just hope it works out for him one way or the other

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

makes the system, the kid, and the whole process look bad when a kid gets moved around like this. my kid could'nt even swim or play tennis this season for a local county school because they follow the letter AND the spirit of the law. And he was enrolled there before the 1st day of school. MD

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Any word on Tory?

Or Mason, or Dion? All or any of these guys would be a huge lift to the team.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I heard Horne has been cleared ,but has to wait on paper work to get to the school from OHSAA,,,should be ready after Chistmas break

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

nice! Hope he steps into the "team" concept!

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

biggdowgg wrote:I heard Horne has been cleared ,but has to wait on paper work to get to the school from OHSAA,,,should be ready after Chistmas break

Thats good news,he should help Coach Collins and the Trojans become more balanced,it appears the defence is there Horne should add punch to the offense of side of the floor.

balltime
Waterboy

Post by balltime »

Lets not judge people when you dont know the circumstances!Just let it play out.Remember these are kids and should be treated as kids!Hopefully all works out and Tory can help the team.I will say this there are some great people in Portsmouth who really do care about kids,and put kids first its very refreshing to see that people do still care in these times!Tory is not cleared as of yet has paper work to be sent in and then state rules.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tory could still play at Portsmouth.......the OHSAA did not say NO at yesterday's hearing.......as balltime has said, some paperwork must be completed......when it is submitted, the OHSAA will make its final decision.......but evidently Tory's family has a strong case or otherwise the OHSAA would have said no yesterday. If Tory's eligibility is restored, his projected date of return is the first week of January. Portsmouth plays 14 games after December.

Mason Jordan: His eligibility is an issue with his move back from Tennessee.......when that is resolved, which should be soon, he can join the team.

Dion McKinley: We will know his eligibility status at the end of the next 9 weeks, which ends in early January.

Portsmouth basketball never lacks intrigue, that's for sure.......if these kids' eligibility is restored, the Trojans could become a MAJOR player in the D3 SE district.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

balltime wrote:Lets not judge people when you dont know the circumstances!Just let it play out.Remember these are kids and should be treated as kids!Hopefully all works out and Tory can help the team.I will say this there are some great people in Portsmouth who really do care about kids,and put kids first its very refreshing to see that people do still care in these times!Tory is not cleared as of yet has paper work to be sent in and then state rules.

Not judging anyone. I hope Horne helps the Trojans....but I hope he also proves me wrong... and stays put in Porsmouth. If he leaves again, he will make a laughing stock out of the OHSAA for allowing him to play and Portsmouth for playing someone that is in and out of their District over their own kids that have been there for open gyms, conditioning, and practices since November?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I'll make a guess on this.......when the paperwork on Tory Horne is submitted and the OHSAA reviews it, his eligibility will be restored.......I think the paperwork will just make it official......we all know there has to be official documentation for about everything in this day and age.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but logical thinking tells me that the OHSAA could have NO yesterday, and since they didn't, his family has a strong case......but without paperwork, the official "yes" cannot be given.

That's my prediction.......with my fingers crossed.......I hope for Tory's sake that he can play......he's just a kid who did nothing wrong on his part.........

Return to “Boys Basketball”