Final: Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60 on 12/15/09

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Re: Final: Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60 on 12/15/09

Post by TrojanBuff »

Good luck to Mr. Bendolph and Wheelersburg the rest of the season. Great game tonight.

I have a feeling this win will go down in history as one of the best Portsmouth victories over Wheelersburg; given all the 'stories' surrounding this game:
(1) Mr. Bendolph leaving the Trojans and joining the Pirates
(2) Portsmouth's first trip to the new Wheelersburg gym
(3) All the pre-season hype surrounding Wheelersburg
(4) Portsmouth's poor performance in its prior 2 games
(5) A new coach leading the Trojans this year
(6) Coach Collins first vicotry as head coach of the Trojans
(7) Portsmouth coming from 14 down in the second half

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Great ball game. Could have went either way as Burg had two good looks at three's to take the lead, the last one with 4 seconds left, but it didn't fall.

Those refs were the same three clowns that did the Clay-NB game I went to and they are horrible. Stegman was called for three very cheesy calls on the defensive end and then goes to the offensive end, everytime the ball came inside to him he had three guys surrounding him slapping the crap out of him. He never could get on track. When he went out, that really hurt the Burg because they have no one on the bench that can come in and spell him. Also, more than likely he would not have been covering Underwood if Burg had certain players on the team. There depth, or lack thereof hurt them tonight.

Great game by Bendolph also against a hostile crowd. Gotta love it when adults were booing him, let alone the kids. He made the choice to leave for whatever reason he had and everyone should just live with it.

I sit pretty close to our student section,and I did not see any adult booing Bendolph,not saying it did not happen,but it must have been on the other end.

I did think it was pretty classy of ALL 5 of our starters,when they met at mid court to shake hands......all 5 gace Andrew a hand shake,and a hug,,,these kid grew up together and have a bond.

I even heard them tell him before hand, he is welcome "HOME",and time he wants to come 8) ;-)

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Tobias wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:Great game by Bendolph also against a hostile crowd. Gotta love it when adults were booing him, let alone the kids. He made the choice to leave for whatever reason he had and everyone should just live with it.

Isn't it a sin to transfer to Wheelersburg from Portsmouth?

BTW, love the sinner, hate the sin!

:mrgreen:

Serioulsy??? i would guess you are joking or maybe you were one of the adults that was booing the young man. Evidently he chose to leave down there for whatever reason. Something nust have happened to make him come to the Burg because he definetly would have been a starter for the Trojans

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg 12/15

Post by soccerfix »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:Sounded like the refs tried to steal it from Portsmouth. I love when it doesnt work out for them.

You are kidding about that right? They pounded Stegman all night under the basket and yet he's the one that fouls out and no one from Portsmouth does. The Burg never even got in the bonus in the 2nd half and the Burg had more than 10 teams fouls and you think the refs favored the Burg. Now that's funny right there.

This post sounds very familiar. Like every opponent walking out of the Wheelersburg gym.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Burg will never sell out a game because unless you arer a season ticket holder, you have to get there before the gates open to get a seat and did you notcie how many empty seats were in tnhe reserve section? It is like that most every game. I even sat in a reserve seat tonight and my dad told me the three games he has been to, no one has been in that seat. The problem is that they don't care if there are anyone in those seats since they have the money.

Come on dowgg, r u serious about the gym? Sure, it is way more seating on the visitors side that what you are probably used to but you have to notice by making the visitors side bigger, they shrunk the home crowd. Not smart and it has showed by the attendance so far.

I am serious,it is Impossible to get out of that GYM without going on the playing floor,on the vistors side anyway.

I dont think I said anything about the seating,there was plenty of seats for the visiting side,,,and yes,I did see the empty seats on the home side,did not know they was reserved for people that dont come to games,I would do just as you and your dad did,when it got close to game time,and no one was in them,,I would move on down
seems a LOT of others think the same thing?

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

biggdowgg wrote:
I sit pretty close to our student section,and I did not see any adult booing Bendolph,not saying it did not happen,but it must have been on the other end.

I even heard them tell him before hand, he is welcome "HOME",and time he wants to come 8) ;-)

I thought you said the student section was in the south parking lot. :roll:

Good ears....... (although I don't guess there is much between them to hinder your hearing.) :122246 :lol:

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

TrojanBuff wrote:Good luck to Mr. Bendolph and Wheelersburg the rest of the season. Great game tonight.

I have a feeling this win will go down in history as one of the best Portsmouth victories over Wheelersburg; given all the 'stories' surrounding this game:

great post!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

biggdowgg wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:Burg will never sell out a game because unless you arer a season ticket holder, you have to get there before the gates open to get a seat and did you notcie how many empty seats were in tnhe reserve section? It is like that most every game. I even sat in a reserve seat tonight and my dad told me the three games he has been to, no one has been in that seat. The problem is that they don't care if there are anyone in those seats since they have the money.

Come on dowgg, r u serious about the gym? Sure, it is way more seating on the visitors side that what you are probably used to but you have to notice by making the visitors side bigger, they shrunk the home crowd. Not smart and it has showed by the attendance so far.

I am serious,it is Impossible to get out of that GYM without going on the playing floor,on the vistors side anyway.

I dont think I said anything about the seating,there was plenty of seats for the visiting side,,,and yes,I did see the empty seats on the home side,did not know they was reserved for people that dont come to games,I would do just as you and your dad did,when it got close to game time,and no one was in them,,I would move on down
seems a LOT of others think the same thing?

Dowgg, I was agreeing with you on how bad the gym is. Like BG77 said, they made alot of cuts on the building and it was all done to the gym. I agree with you on how bad it is that you have to walk on the floor to get out. That when the players are on the bench there feet on in play. That the coaches can't coach without being on the floor the whole time. The size of the lockerroom. Need I go on

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Let me say this, Portsmouth finally got off to a good start. They couldn't keep it going but they weathered the storm. They went down in the 3rd by about 14. They could've folded right there. Later they forced some timely turnovers. They take the lead late in the game. Portsmouth had to hold on late with there inability to get the ball up court late because of there own turnovers and a few terrible noncalls of our own, where the trojans were themselves being pushed out of bounds. One in particular, where a very opportunistic steal taken from Forrest which happened to be a foul(non call) which in turn caused Forrest to regroup and fouled in return, thus fouling out. All in all a great game. refs coulda stole it but Portsmouth prevailed despite some questionable officiating. Regardless, however you see it, the Trojans did things to take it out of the officials hands. Late free throws by Tre Underwood iced the game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TrojanBuff wrote:Good luck to Mr. Bendolph and Wheelersburg the rest of the season. Great game tonight.

Not even top ten.
1. Could give you that one, but it turned out okay. Other than some mouthing, not a big issue.
2. Okay, same thing could be said for Burg's first trip to Trojan stadium in football.
3. All the pre-season hype was put on by outsiders. This team was totally unproven coming in and no one from the Burg put those high expectations on them. Then after some players didn't go out, that took away alot of depth.
4. Burg hasn't exactly played lights out in there games yet. they still haven't established an identity of what the team is going to have.
5. Coaches don't make the plays, they just call them. doesn't matter how good the coach is if the players don't execute.
6.Yep, it was. every coach gets his a some time in his coaching career.
7. That was a great comeback. Burg got hot early, trojans got hot late. would love to see them play agins and it jsut might happen.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:

Not even top ten.
1. Could give you that one, but it turned out okay. Other than some mouthing, not a big issue.
2. Okay, same thing could be said for Burg's first trip to Trojan stadium in football.
3. All the pre-season hype was put on by outsiders. This team was totally unproven coming in and no one from the Burg put those high expectations on them. Then after some players didn't go out, that took away alot of depth.
4. Burg hasn't exactly played lights out in there games yet. they still haven't established an identity of what the team is going to have.
5. Coaches don't make the plays, they just call them. doesn't matter how good the coach is if the players don't execute.
6.Yep, it was. every coach gets his a some time in his coaching career.
7. That was a great comeback. Burg got hot early, trojans got hot late. would love to see them play agins and it jsut might happen.

You've gotta be kidding me. You do realize Portsmouth hadn't beaten Wheelersburg in Wheelersburg in 30 years. That in itself, in this rivalry puts it as historic. only one that may be in question in his list may be number 3 but that's the essence of hype. Regardless of who's putting it out there. Big picture, this is historic only if it leads to good things rest of this year and beyond.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I didn't get to attend the game but did listen to it on the radio, and if it was the same refs that did the NB/Clay game then I feel sorry for the players. As Yabababa said, they were clowns in that game. A guy told me that the fat bald ref wouldn't make a call all night, and as far as I saw he didn't. They missed foul after foul and you couldn't draw a charge no matter how long you were set.

As for the fans, my son said the Portsmouth Students booed Bendolph every time he touched the ball early, that's kids, and it would be sad if the adults joined in. He also told me at the end of the game the Portsmouth fans were on the floor singing the trojan fight song to a bevy of "1" finger salutes from the burg side, again, if the adults took part in this behavior it is sad.

Overall it sounded like a great back and forth battle between two teams that are building talent for next season. Can't wait for the next game!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

my2cents wrote:I didn't get to attend the game but did listen to it on the radio, and if it was the same refs that did the NB/Clay game then I feel sorry for the players. As Yabababa said, they were clowns in that game. A guy told me that the fat bald ref wouldn't make a call all night, and as far as I saw he didn't. They missed foul after foul and you couldn't draw a charge no matter how long you were set.

As for the fans, my son said the Portsmouth Students booed Bendolph every time he touched the ball early, that's kids, and it would be sad if the adults joined in. He also told me at the end of the game the Portsmouth fans were on the floor singing the trojan fight song to a bevy of "1" finger salutes from the burg side, again, if the adults took part in this behavior it is sad.

Overall it sounded like a great back and forth battle between two teams that are building talent for next season. Can't wait for the next game!

I waited around inside for a few minutes,so I didnt have to fight the parking lot crowd,the only one singing the Trojan fight song was our student section,it was right in front of me,they was on tye floor,but not far out,they was right in front of the student cheer block,there was a deputy right there with them

and, you are right,it was a great high school basketball game.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

my2cents wrote:I didn't get to attend the game but did listen to it on the radio, and if it was the same refs that did the NB/Clay game then I feel sorry for the players. As Yabababa said, they were clowns in that game. A guy told me that the fat bald ref wouldn't make a call all night, and as far as I saw he didn't. They missed foul after foul and you couldn't draw a charge no matter how long you were set.

What's really sad is your 2 cents aint even worth that. To not even have been at the game and to make comments like that is irresponsible. (In a sarcastic voice): My son said yadda yadda yadda and if that happened that is sad. If, if, if. My friend told me if my aunt had gonads she'd be my uncle. lol. Loosen up people. It's a rivalry. Good sportmanship was on both sides but nobody's posting that. Good luck Wheelersburg the rest of the way.

hoop22
Waterboy

Post by hoop22 »

Would the game have been any closer if the Burg Boys had been allowed college visits during the season?

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

hoop22 wrote:Would the game have been any closer if the Burg Boys had been allowed college visits during the season?

Hard to tell but it might have helped some if you had visited one during your illustrious career.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

You've gotta be kidding me. You do realize Portsmouth hadn't beaten Wheelersburg in Wheelersburg in 30 years. That in itself, in this rivalry puts it as historic. only one that may be in question in his list may be number 3 but that's the essence of hype. Regardless of who's putting it out there. Big picture, this is historic only if it leads to good things rest of this year and beyond.

Let's see, so you are saying the Trojans haven't beaten the Pirates at Wheelersburg since 1979. I don't have the actual results available, but I find that really hard to believe.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

TrojanDave will have the results I'm sure when he gets on tomorrow but that's what he was telling me at the game

Doubleduece
Waterboy

Post by Doubleduece »

Wow! This can not be good for the Burg. Portsmouth hasnt been that good in their first two games, then go out and win their first game AT Burg. Burg is 2-2, could easily be 1-3.

If Portsmouth gets back McKinley and Horn, they will be 100% better immediately. With these two teams I see Portsmouth being the sky is the limit, and for Burg the limit is the sky.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Burg will be fine...They always are.Come Mid-January...they will be clicking just like every other Barrick coached team.They will be one of the top teams in SE Ohio in a month.

Congrats to Coach Collins and the Trojans on a huge win tonight!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”