Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Post by Ironman92 »

93bulldog...I’m having trouble remembering the 2004 final between Eastern and Whiteoak ...can’t recall specifics. Cozart a sophomore? Barnett for Whiteoak was a freshman. I remember the 2002, 2003, 2005 games between the two.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:35 am 93bulldog...I’m having trouble remembering the 2004 final between Eastern and Whiteoak ...can’t recall specifics. Cozart a sophomore? Barnett for Whiteoak was a freshman. I remember the 2002, 2003, 2005 games between the two.
43-42 2OT in the semi finals

Yes, Cozort was a young pup.
But they had 6'6 Cody Dill, 6'5 Robby Cross & 6'2 Alex Simpson, who were all seniors.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:45 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:35 am 93bulldog...I’m having trouble remembering the 2004 final between Eastern and Whiteoak ...can’t recall specifics. Cozart a sophomore? Barnett for Whiteoak was a freshman. I remember the 2002, 2003, 2005 games between the two.
43-42 2OT in the semi finals

Yes, Cozort was a young pup.
But they had 6'6 Cody Dill, 6'5 Robby Cross & 6'2 Alex Simpson, who were all seniors.
Yeah I remember the players of each team but can’t really recall the game...how it went.

The two programs dominated D4 for a few years and then big bullies South Webster joined in and then took over.

2000 Whiteoak Dist Champs

2001 Eastern Final 4

2002 Whiteoak Final 4 (beat Eastern in Dist Champ)

2003 Eastern Dist Champs, Whiteoak Regional Finalist (Whiteoak beat Eastern in reg semis)

2004 Eastern Dist Champs (beat Whiteoak in Dist Champ)

2005 Eastern Dist Champs (beat Whiteoak in Dist Champ)

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

It was Sciotoville that Eastern beat in the 2004 District Finals in OT. Cozart did not play that season for Eastern.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:56 pm It was Sciotoville that Eastern beat in the 2004 District Finals in OT. Cozart did not play that season for Eastern.
Yes! Eastern beat WO in district semis that season

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Bullies 😂 come on now

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 pm Bullies 😂 come on now
I’d be interested in a “where are they now?”

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:56 pm It was Sciotoville that Eastern beat in the 2004 District Finals in OT. Cozart did not play that season for Eastern.
Where was he?

I know he was a three year starter, graduated in 2006 and played in two regional tournaments. I just looked up the story in the Messenger when he signed with Ohio Valley University. Also in the article, he scored 46 versus Alexander his junior year. 46! Dang. lol

They only went 11-10 his senior year so that wasn't one of the trips to the regionals. They beat Whiteoak in the district finals in 2005, his junior year.

The only other year the story could be eluding to is 2003, his freshmen year. But the bracket is not showing on the OHSAA web site so I can't confirm that. I assumed the two district championship teams he started on were '04 and '05.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 pm
Where was he?

I know he was a three year starter, graduated in 2006 and played in two regional tournaments. I just looked up the story in the Messenger when he signed with Ohio Valley University. Also in the article, he scored 46 versus Alexander his junior year. 46! Dang. lol

They only went 11-10 his senior year so that wasn't one of the trips to the regionals. They beat Whiteoak in the district finals in 2005, his junior year.

The only other year the story could be eluding to is 2003, his freshmen year. But the bracket is not showing on the OHSAA web site so I can't confirm that. I assumed the two district championship teams he started on were '04 and '05.
He was there in 03 and in that OHSAA mess if you scroll you can find Athens and it shows like other years. Cozart’s freshman year in 03 Whiteoak beat them by about 13 in the regional semis.

I kinda remember Cozart not playing a year or part of a year

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

While waiting for 2020 to make it's exit I watched Chesapeake beat a good South Gallia team handily at So. Gallia 76-51 on the recorded livestream ... the Peake is play some good basketball ... I posted on another thread that if the season started right now that Coach Davis's Panthers don't lose the games with Ironton and Coal Grove with the way they are playing ... Great ball movement, passing is outstanding on the interior/ everyone seeing the floor ... perimeter scoring is very good Caleb Schneider a 6-1 fr , Travis Grim sr, Nathan Cox sr, Levi Blankenship jr ALL can bury the 3 ball ... 4 guards on the floor at any one time makes pressuring the Panthers difficult at best, costly most of the time as they will make a team pay ... I have been impressed with the 6-4 jr post player Devon Bellomy in the paint - can score around the rim, makes good decisions with the ball/has good hands catching the interior passes and finishing AND he does what big men do rebounds the ball at both ends ... outside of Bellomy the Panthers are Trimble like - all around 6-0 tall but due to the solid fundamentals they rebound the ball like a taller team and push the ball in transition ... I recall talking to Coach Davis last season - he enjoyed working with this group - they were/are coachable ... it shows - as they are well positioned at the offensive end of the floor, the spacing is excellent along with the motion on offense ... defensive everyone plays physical in your face man to man D ... like the other outstanding defensive teams - Logan Elm, Warren, Unioto, Trimble etc. they use their bodies well, move their feet, quick with their hands, they don't let opposing players cross in front of them without getting bumped or redirected ... fun to watch ! everyone has a role, everyone seems to play within their roles Schneider/Grim/ Cox/ Lemley/Bragg/Blankenship/Bellomy ... looking forward to seeing Tuesday nights game with Fairland ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You're right I92, I remember as well.
Can't remember the whole story, just remembering being disappointed he didnt play.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You're right I92, I remember as well now.

Can't recall the whole story, just remember being disappointed he didnt play.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Happy New Year's !!! -pfloyd

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Happy New Year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Trimble added @ Chesapeake on the 9th to replace the Beasts of the Southeast, Floyd.

Cats toughest games 2020/2021

@ Piketon
@ Chesapeake
@ Federal Hocking
@ Athens
vs Federal Hocking
vs Coal Grove

---------

@ South Gallia
vs River Valley
@ Alexander
vs South Gallia

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:49 am Trimble added @ Chesapeake on the 9th to replace the Beasts of the Southeast, Floyd.

Cats toughest games 2020/2021

@ Piketon
@ Chesapeake
@ Federal Hocking
@ Athens
vs Federal Hocking
vs Coal Grove

---------

@ South Gallia
vs River Valley
@ Alexander
vs South Gallia
... that will be a great game for both teams @ Chesapeake ! when I was watching the Peake last night vs South Gallia(watched them vs Coal Grove/Ironton & Portsmouth as well) they a very similar to Trimble - defensively/the motion offense /similar in size of players/height wise ... the biggest difference imo is Trimble works the motion offense to get shots at the rim while Chesapeake works the ball and is MORE than willing to take the 3 ball as they have 4-5 players who can hit the trey ... the quickness/physicality of both teams will fun to watch !!! great pickup by Coach Caldwell !

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I92
Robert Johnson 03-04 is a lawyer
Grashel is in education
Richardson went on to study at OSU
Aldridge we know
Kyle Cayton lives in SC now

Fenton has coached at Webster, Ironton, and now with Norm
Lower is in the insurance business and coaches
Nick Bowman I believe went on to be an assistant at EKU?
Waginger is still on the staff at WCU if I’m not mistaken.
McClintic is the baseball coach at Webster
Campbell I don’t really know.

Coach K is the superintendent of our schools.
Of course Cole is our head coach.

I don’t think anyone really turned out to be a train wreck and most went on to graduate college. K told them boys after getting the Dub not to let this moment in the Schott define them

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 pm I92
Grashel is in education
Aldridge we know

I don’t think anyone really turned out to be a train wreck and most went on to graduate college. K told them boys after getting the Dub not to let this moment in the Schott define them
Solid

What is Aldridge doing now?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Don’t know what he does but he lives in Illinois now.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 pm I92
Grashel is in education
Aldridge we know

To add to swanker’s update: Grashel is head basketball coach at New Albany High School near Columbus (had previously been head coach at Groveport Madison). Bowman is an assistant coach at Nichols State (was previously Director of Basketball Operations at Clemson). Pretty cool to see so many of those guys still involved with basketball in some capacity.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”