12/20/22 Minford @ SW

EPN
Freshman Team

Re: 12/20/22 Minford @ SW

Post by EPN »

Eastern went to Regional finals in 2013 losing to a dominant Africentric team.
Went to District finals in 2015-losing to beau justice and Peebles in overtime.
Went to District finals in 2017 , lost to Waterford by single digits
Went to District finals in D3 in 2018,lost to Oak Hill by I think 3–4 points .
Lost in D3 sectional championship to Chesapeake in 2019.

Although only one district title , Eastern was a few possessions away from having 4 district titles ( would have, could have , should have ).. just saying I wouldn’t say we didn’t accomplish anything , not a bad run.

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

MattyIce wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:31 am Webster had league success and tournament success when the guys running the program weren’t from Webster!!! Hint, Hint!!!
Ater had league success but never won a league title but had a heck of an elite 8 run with arguably the least talented team he had at SW. That was a great hire after the Reese debacle

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Who was the coach between Kreischer and Ater and how long was he there?

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

MattyIce wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:11 am Who was the coach between Kreischer and Ater and how long was he there?
Not sure on his first name but last name was Reese. I think Ater came in 09-10 season? Maybe 10-11. Reese would've had 07 to either 09 or 10. It was an absolute disaster. May have been a year in his tenure that they didn't win 1 game

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

So it only took them a couple years to figure out the guy wasn’t a good fit and they needed to make a change. Kudos to the administration, at that time, to do what was best for the program and move on from that Coach who obviously wasn’t getting the job done.

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

MattyIce wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:31 am Webster had league success and tournament success when the guys running the program weren’t from Webster!!! Hint, Hint!!!
I don't know of anyone (other than Norm) not from Webster that you would go after. There's still plenty of time for these guys to turn things around and I think it will be better 2nd half of the season. I know others will differ on that opinion but I know it will get better

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Coach Reece won like 4 games in two years 🤣 I was there for it. Time for Coach K to snap a few more clipboards

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:43 pm Didn’t eastern steamroll SOC1 for years and not accomplish anything in the post season?
Go ahead and show proof that they steamrolled the SOC I. Why not answer the questions I posed? The reality is that most SW fans are completely out of touch with reality. They had a tremendous amount of great things come together at once for their great run in the mid-late 2000s. How many District titles did SW have before that run? It's okay Swanker, I get it. You're right at that age that came through and grew up believing that was how it always was in SW.

Space Between, I'm not going to argue with you when you can't comprehend simple logical statements. The argument is about claiming you don't care about league success when you are better prepared for tournament success. As was pointed out, the real reason SW is so adamant about being in the upper tier of the SOC is financial, not competition. To the point on tournament success, what has SW's tournament success been lately. I used Western as just one example. There are others. In fact, I think that Western made another regional trip about 6-7 years ago. How many has SW made in that stretch? How can you claim that playing in a tougher league better prepares you for tournament runs when the facts show you have less district titles than multiple other schools from weaker leagues?

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

I’ve seen bad SW teams make it to the district tournament. One year knocking off a #1 seed Southern comes to mind. Western has had some success but their peaks and valleys are more volatile. From a consistent basis, SW is always right there. They just need a push to get back over the hump and win a district. Lost to a very good Clay team in 17 in district final. Lost to a really good Coal Grove team (back to D3). Lost to Valley (back to D3). They are always right there. Just have to get over the hump. I’ll agree to disagree, I think Webster schedule does prepare them well. I think they’ve played in 3 district finals in that span. Just 0 wins. Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’ll add this….South Webster has gotten the hose almost every single year in the tourney seedings by the other coaches and most often the SOC1 coaches. I’ve seen this for about 20 years…..regardless of how good SW was, whoever was good that wasn’t in the SOC1, they were getting paired up with SW…..now with one big sectional it’s more difficult, but it’ll happen again. Book it. That alone has at least marginally hurt their tournament run chances.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Steve Ater or Kreischer or anyone worth their salt would’ve won 4 district titles with the talent that’s came through under this guys tenure. Point of the thread.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Yes, Kreischer and Ater had some really talented basketball players. They also taught those talented players how to play the game as a team, how to compete, and how to conduct themselves on the floor. They taught them to take pride in being part of such a great tradition in southeast Ohio.
All these things are lacking now and that’s the issue the supporters have with the current staff.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

MattyIce wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:11 pm Yes, Kreischer and Ater had some really talented basketball players. They also taught those talented players how to play the game as a team, how to compete, and how to conduct themselves on the floor. They taught them to take pride in being part of such a great tradition in southeast Ohio.
All these things are lacking now and that’s the issue the supporters have with the current staff.

Period.

Dudes higher than eagle nuts if he thinks us staying in the big boy league is about money.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Space Between, solid points. I do not disagree that the SOC II gauntlet prepares its teams for the tournament regardless of division. Just also stating that they have not dominated the DIV southeast district over the past decade either and have less district titles than some of their SOC I counterparts in that span.

Ironman92, my opinion is that your sense of them getting hosed by the SOC I is a little inflated. I do think it has happened some years, but not to the extent you claim. Wins appear to be the most heavily weighted factor in seeding. SW is usually going to come in with less wins than some other DIV schools because of that schedule. But if that schedule prepares them for the tournament then they should still handle most of the SOC I, TVC, and SHAC schools with slightly more wins right? They haven't for the past several years. During the Kreischer and Ater years they did.

Swanker, it is most definitely about the money. It has been an area of concern directly stated by several of SW's admins.

Return to “Boys Basketball”