Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

sportsfan43
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

Post by sportsfan43 »

Eaglesnest wrote:
balltime wrote:Lets not judge people when you dont know the circumstances!Just let it play out.Remember these are kids and should be treated as kids!Hopefully all works out and Tory can help the team.I will say this there are some great people in Portsmouth who really do care about kids,and put kids first its very refreshing to see that people do still care in these times!Tory is not cleared as of yet has paper work to be sent in and then state rules.

Not judging anyone. I hope Horne helps the Trojans....but I hope he also proves me wrong... and stays put in Porsmouth. If he leaves again, he will make a laughing stock out of the OHSAA for allowing him to play and Portsmouth for playing someone that is in and out of their District over their own kids that have been there for open gyms, conditioning, and practices since November?[/quote]
======================================
is that as bad,as letting kids come into your program,and playing over kids that have been practicing,going to summer camps,playing biddy ball all their lives :?:

and still not live in the district they play in :?:

because it happens everywhere :!:

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

sportsfan43 wrote:
Eaglesnest wrote:
balltime wrote:Lets not judge people when you dont know the circumstances!Just let it play out.Remember these are kids and should be treated as kids!Hopefully all works out and Tory can help the team.I will say this there are some great people in Portsmouth who really do care about kids,and put kids first its very refreshing to see that people do still care in these times!Tory is not cleared as of yet has paper work to be sent in and then state rules.

Not judging anyone. I hope Horne helps the Trojans....but I hope he also proves me wrong... and stays put in Porsmouth. If he leaves again, he will make a laughing stock out of the OHSAA for allowing him to play and Portsmouth for playing someone that is in and out of their District over their own kids that have been there for open gyms, conditioning, and practices since November?[/quote]
======================================
is that as bad,as letting kids come into your program,and playing over kids that have been practicing,going to summer camps,playing biddy ball all their lives :?:

and still not live in the district they play in :?:

because it happens everywhere :!:

I'm not an idiot. It does go on in our area...but i wouldn't say EVERYWHERE. It is much more common though than alot of folks in this area are willing to admit. BUT LOOKING OUTSIDE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT IS GOING ON IN P-TOWN. Every school needs to police itself.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

from the outside looking in the whole thing looks like a train wreck. I'm not assigning any blame, certainly the new coach doesn't have any say so in matters like this but when 3 impact players have eligibility issues it just looks bad.

I'm old fashioned . hate to see adults move kids around like pro athelets . and it sure isn't limited to Portsmouth.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

maybe we should just let the school/family,and OHSAA clear this up,and stop trying to figure out problems we know nothing about,I know one of the 3 is a custody situation,Im guessing that would be more Important then basketball right now...but,thats just me.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

i think alot of this goes on around here because we have to many schools. if it doesnt work at one lets go to another and so on. schools are so little around here if a kid has talent any school would love to have them. just look at burg this year it wasnt working out for a kid at a school so he goes to another and is playing there. i would love to see only for schools in scioto county and have the kids really have to work hard to play instead of just going to another school

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

biggdowgg wrote:maybe we should just let the school/family,and OHSAA clear this up,and stop trying to figure out problems we know nothing about,I know one of the 3 is a custody situation,Im guessing that would be more Important then basketball right now...but,thats just me.

Well said biggdowgg,

I agree the one situation was unavoidable, and is due to a temporary custody running out. I feel sorry for the young man, missing out do to something like this.

As previously stated, Tory looks like he will be able to rejoin the team soon. I don't know what his situation is, but it would be a shame if he had to miss his senior season. He must have a pretty good reason or the OHSAA would have already turned him down.

The last one is up to the young man, and how he performs in the classroom. They are first student athletes, so get the grades and play, don't get the grades you sit in the stands. This one is pretty cut and dry.

I still think this team can be very exciting, and win some games; they just have to get comfortable in the new fast up tempo style. Once they are comfortable the turnovers will go away and this team will be tough.

Against Webster it was obvious that we were a team searching for an identity. We want to be up tempo, but we have athletes that aren't used to playing up tempo. Give it time and they will get better. After the 1st quarter our defense seemed to be pretty tough. If it can hold up its pretty simple we just have to cut down on turnovers, and not miss so many shots. Especially at the foul line, these are freebies no excuse for missing them.

balltime
Waterboy

Post by balltime »

Thanks biggdowgg,you are right not a single person outside the meeting really knows anything!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Tobias makes a very good point about Portsmouth's slow starts........so far 2 slow starts have resulted in an 0-2 record........it is very difficult to win a game when you're down 13-18 points after the first quarter. In fact last night at South Point the Trojans were outscored in the second quarter as well..........down 21 at the half, ballgame over.......

burgtown2008
Riding the Bench

Post by burgtown2008 »

PHS has a killer schedule this year, if they don't get started soon they might win just a very few.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Last word I heard was that Tory said he expects(hopes) to play Fri. against Warren. All contingent upon paperwork and getting the ok. Don't know if that's just him being optimistic but that's the last I heard. I've gotten the feeling from other onlookers that it's a foregone conclusion that they'll say ok since they haven't said no yet. I'm not so sure bout this but I am hopeful. We'll just watch how this all unfolds.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

After the start of the season, to come back with these two big wins on the road,
is the sign of good coaching ....... Job well done!

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

I'll be front row for this tripleheader then probably move around after the start of the JV game and then of to the upperdeck for the Varsity game. I say this portion of the season is the return of the fan. I remember round this stretch last year there was a buzz for the Chilicothe game then the air was let out for our season as the fans seemingly returned then went away after a lackluster game against the Cavaliers. We'll see if we can redeem our fans and get em buzzing again. I think our fans can be somewhat fairweather but I think it's more that they don't like a team that doesn't lay it all on the line. The team we fielded last year was talented but lacked that blue collar mentality that our fans have become accustom to pre 90's. Once again 2010 will be the return of the fan...You heard it here first.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I hope jgordon0315 is right........I would love to see bigger crowds at Portsmouth.......winning will bring the fans in and losing will keep them away.......I know that the wins at Wheelersburg and Warren have caught the fans attention.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

After the South Webster game I thought we wouldnt win a game this year. Its nice to see a quick turn around. The staff has them playing hard. just need to work on silly turn overs.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tobias wrote:BTW, Coach Collins told me last night that there are plans underway to have fan busses for both the Logan (1/15) and Marietta (2/5) games...

More information to follow (cost, etc.), but keep this in mind when making plans for these road games.

they announced this at the game tonight.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote:I hope jgordon0315 is right........I would love to see bigger crowds at Portsmouth.......winning will bring the fans in and losing will keep them away.......I know that the wins at Wheelersburg and Warren have caught the fans attention.

really nice crowd tonight,largest on this year.

and great job by the student section ,its nice to see them down there in big numbers:!: :!:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

missed you in the man box......it was almost FULL tonight

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tobias wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:missed you in the man box......it was almost FULL tonight

the worse part was that I had to watch Ironton on back-to-back nights and Portsmouth didn't play them in either one...

:shock:

Hopefully our man box buddy kept his gaskets in check tonight...

:mrgreen:

well,,,he lost it a few times,you know,,it was a double overtime,hard to keep him in check for 4 periods :mrgreen:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

They were selling Christmas ornaments of the old school at the last game.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Portsmouth Trojans 2009-2010 (4-3) (3-1)

12/08/09 South Webster 53 @ Portsmouth 42
12/11/09 @ South Point 85 Portsmouth 62
12/15/09 Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60
12/18/09 Portsmouth 75 @ Warren 69 *
12/22/09 @ Portsmouth 74 Jackson 69 * in 2OT
12/29/09 @ Portsmouth 55 Marietta 43 *
01/05/10 Chillicothe * 45 Portsmouth 42
01/08/10 vs. GALLIA ACADEMY *
01/15/10 @ LOGAN *
01/19/10 @ IRONTON *
01/22/10 vs. WARREN *
01/29/10 @ JACKSON *