Logan 2011-2012

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Re: Logan 2011-2012

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

Rocketfan88 wrote:
Loganchiefsnation wrote:Wellston could not and did not play with Logan's #1's last night. And the two wellston guards were the ones out of control. The #20 went after Miller because he was playing in your face defense and the other guard shoved Vermillion under the bucket as he was shooting the ball, with both hands. The only street ball being played was under the bucket with the Wellston coach who swallowed his whistle. Logan dominated Wellston and the 2nd quarter was blow out city and Wellston couldnt stop the Logan press. Had they not called off the dogs the score would have been alot worse. Logan played in your face defense and was all over the place on the press and their players couldnt handle it and got frustrated. The shoving came from them, but their coach didnt help matters much by not calling anything under the basket he was watching. If this was a regular game Logan would have won by 50.

Logan also dominated the JV scrimmage and the 9th grade scrimmage.
:lol: :lol:

I am glad you find it funny, but Ive talked to no less than 10 people who were at the scrimmage and they all agreed, including a couple of people I know from Wellston. This same group beat a Wellston team last year in a preview by 40 points and they would have won this game by more. Logan called off the press and for good reason.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

PFloyd;
Good assesment. Logan has 9 players than can rotate in and out and thats a good thing. Logan has good experience with a core of kids that got quality minuets last year and like its been said, have been together for a long time playing basketball. I like McNeil at the point, with Jourdan or Miller at the 2 and 3. Add Vermillion and the Mutzner kid down low, and you have two low post players who just go to the whistle stops. Myers has really gotten better and he adds a decent shot and big body who can get to the rim. Miller, when on can hit from anywhere and he too can dribble, drive and dish if needed. Logan's strengths will be pressure, conditioning, and basketball experience. Weaknesses; overall size, long range shooting, and the schedule early. If they can get a few wins early on, the snow ball may get bigger and bigger.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Purple's Pre-Season schedule to include :

vs Wellston November 16 @ 5:30pm
vs Marietta/Logan Elm November 23 @ 3:30pm
vs Federal Hocking November 25 @ 10:00am

All games being played at home.

ADD one more quality opponent in the preseason scrimmage season for Coach Helber's PURPLE ... Grandview Heights out of the MSL Cardinal Division will be visiting Jim's Gym I believe on Saturday Nov. 26th ... I don't have a time BUT I would assume a tip-off in the range of the Friday morning 10am get together with Federal Hocking on "no school" Friday Nov. 25th ...

... I like the scrimmages put together for the preseason menu ... looking forward to the BIG Tri-scrimmage with Marietta and Logan Elm next week Nov. 23rd ...

Rocketfan88
Freshman Team

Post by Rocketfan88 »

pfloyd wrote:... not sure ANY coach or fan can say that they KNOW who is their #1 unit YET ... scrimmages this early in the season are played to get game experience vs faces/size/quicks other than your own team ... coaches get a chance to see where players stand skill wise, energy wise ... coaches get an opportunity to see LOTS OF combinations on the floor that they normally don't to see during practice ... brought up was the "no officials" during a scrimmage issue? apparently there was a "BIG" meeting of officials in Southern/Southeast Ohio yesterday evening - hence no officials ... usually EVEN the officials like to get in scrimmages to get ready for the regular season as well ...

... Street ball? ... talked to Luke Miller today - he said "I just wanted to get after it - just wanted to be out on the court "... I'm sure the same is true of the Wellston squad AND on at least one occasion the "getting after it" turned into "almost getting INTO it" ... all in all it was two teams taking the lid off of the season "officially" in a scrimmage format ...

Neither team was close to where they intend to be on the court, but both teams had an opportunity to go against pressure both full court and in the half court; both teams got a chance to "get away with" being over physical, using their hands on defense, hammering inside WITHOUT getting called for it ... BUT as a "cheap seat guy" it felt sooooooooo good to watch the "kids" on both sides , as Luke pointed out so well, getting after it again...

Wellston goes 6 deep, not a lot of depth, BUT the 6 they can put on the floor do a nice job ... they have a good combination of perimeter people who CAN knock it down from behind the arc - as noreply66 posted they were 5 of 7 in the 4th 10 minute quarter ... throw in #14 (practice uni) who could put the ball on the floor as the BIG inside for the Rockets ... WHS definitely had trouble with the Logan full court press in quarter two - A LOT had to do with the combination of personnel that the PURPLE had on the floor - size/quicks for LHS in that group of juniors plus 1 senior ...I liked what I saw from the Wellston group as far as what they will be putting on the court this season ... will be a good team out of the TVC to keep an eye on ...

The PURPLE ... rough around the edges BUT I saw good things to come for this TEAM ... first thing anyone will see is a very talented group of juniors - they have all played together since 2nd grade, they KNOW the game of basketball -translates into when the coaches tell them what to do, what needs to be done => they get it ... focus in practice can be on "the game" more so than trying to "learn what to do" ... Josh Vermillion had a GREAT scrimmage - going to be the BIG inside, good hands, finishes around the rim, sees his teammates in the paint, dishes well AND the kid gets after it on both ends of the floor ... Gaven Jourdan showed hustle/hustle and more hustle ... on the ball harassing D AND he HIT THE BOARDS hard ... Tristan Myers showed that he can contribute on both ends of the floor - he is a big/thick body that doesn't realize YET how big he CAN play ... Josh Mutzner showed what he could do in his contributions last season in the paint for the Chiefs- he has varsity experience ... Bird McNeal looks to be the man to run the show - good head for the game, has length- both height and wing span... sees the floor well ... Luke Miller will set the tone for the Chiefs all season ... might set a record for MOST minutes of PT for the Purple ... I'm thinking that any thoughts of Luke Miller being out of shape in any way can be put to rest - the kid is the proverbial "Energizer Bunny" - non stop hustle every minute the kid is on the floor ... he WILL BE the leader of this group ... defensively he is in the ball handlers pocket, gets into the oppositions head ... can shoot the three ball from anywhere on the court, can get into the paint AND finish ... let's throw in that he is a lefty (and YES that is an advantage) ... Nik Wotring rung up a few treys on the evening, can give good defensive minutes while providing another perimeter person on the offensive end ... I like the top 7 for Coach Helber/Coach Koon ... will be important for the juniors to quickly get used to the physical play/speed at the varsity level - all in all I thought the boyz in Purple & White gave us all reason to look forward to seeing these kids develop as the season progresses ...

Good assement of the scrimmage! Thanks for the input on the refs it makes sense why there wasn't any refs there.

Rocketfan88
Freshman Team

Post by Rocketfan88 »

Loganchiefsnation wrote:
Rocketfan88 wrote:
Loganchiefsnation wrote:Wellston could not and did not play with Logan's #1's last night. And the two wellston guards were the ones out of control. The #20 went after Miller because he was playing in your face defense and the other guard shoved Vermillion under the bucket as he was shooting the ball, with both hands. The only street ball being played was under the bucket with the Wellston coach who swallowed his whistle. Logan dominated Wellston and the 2nd quarter was blow out city and Wellston couldnt stop the Logan press. Had they not called off the dogs the score would have been alot worse. Logan played in your face defense and was all over the place on the press and their players couldnt handle it and got frustrated. The shoving came from them, but their coach didnt help matters much by not calling anything under the basket he was watching. If this was a regular game Logan would have won by 50.

Logan also dominated the JV scrimmage and the 9th grade scrimmage.
:lol: :lol:

I am glad you find it funny, but Ive talked to no less than 10 people who were at the scrimmage and they all agreed, including a couple of people I know from Wellston. This same group beat a Wellston team last year in a preview by 40 points and they would have won this game by more. Logan called off the press and for good reason.
please go back into your wig wam :lol: :lol: Now thats funny

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Only if you go back in your miss-fired rocket

NOW THAT IS WHAT YOU CALL FUNNY

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a BIG week for the PURPLE as Coach Helber's Chiefs get a chance to see how they stack up against a couple of annual heavyweights on the Elite 8 rankings seemingly every year in Logan Elm and Marietta (Wednesday evening at 3:30) ... Friday Coach Caldwell's Federal Hocking Lancers come calling (10:00am tip off) ... Saturday finishes off the scrimmage season with MSL Cardinal Division Grandview Heights taking on LHS ... lots of variety in team styles, looking forward to seeing them all at Jim's Gym ...

What a great Turkey Holiday Week for hoops !!!! Weds/Fri/Saturday LHS scrimmages - getting to see 4 of the teams I will be ranking this season ... Friday late afternoon/evening the Shriner's Preview in A'town with TVC teams mixed with Warren Local out of the SEOAL ... I'm smiling, sharpening up the pencils and gathering up some napkins to take along as well ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... That Wednesday afternoon scrimmage with Marietta and Logan Elm has an early 3:30 tip off ...

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I've heard because of some issue with a OYB biddy ball basketball tournament the officials from Southeast aren't working any scrimmages for Logan but that could be gossip so take it for what it is. Maybe they should try to get some refs out of Lancaster or Columbus to work the scrimmages. I'd think it would be hard and a good chance for someone to get mad and get hurt with no one keeping control especially with the teams pfloyd just mentioned coming in. Of course starting at 3:30 doesn't help when a lot of people are probably still working.

trubbguru
Riding the Bench

Post by trubbguru »

NO heres the deal. Most of your established refs especially ONE from Logan think that it is below them to work scrimmages. And there are some that just wont work Logan. Logan dosent pay refs for scrimmages so this dosent help. But the main reason is POOR planning on the staffs part not only this staff but also past staffs. Know for a fact as i have been told that at some scrimmages there were no refs notified. If you throw the dogs a bone they will come but we know the financial situation at Logan.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Thats probably true with the payment or non payment for scrimmages. With gas price always between 3.50 and 4.00 a gallon it would seem feasable to at least give a ref 20 to 30 bucks to off set gas. its not a game check but at least helps pay for gas. Good point.

eaglesrock
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesrock »

trubbguru,
You would think that having a former varsity offcicial on staff they would be able to get some guys to come down and do the game. I cannot remember the last time I went to a scrimmage and there were no officials. There is no reason not to have officials. If its Johns fault or administrations fault it dosent matter you need officials at any varsity contest.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I just talked t a guy again today who said he was sure that officials in southeast were boycotting the scrimmages because of the biddy league thing. Something to do with using officials from lancaster for that so let them get those guys for the scrimmages. If that's the case it's a pretty lame excuse to not do a scrimmage. My god over biddy ball. Hopefully that's not the case. How about Koons he should know some officials over in the Glouster area. What about the classes being taken by new officials?

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

another quick question, has the girls varsity had a home scrimmage yet and if so did they have officials?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

1st tonight with Marietta

forgot about Eastern and Westfall
Last edited by noreply66 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Riding the Bench

Post by dave »

greatone wrote:another quick question, has the girls varsity had a home scrimmage yet and if so did they have officials?

Yes, the girls have - Last Sat. vs Eastern & Westfall. They had (2) refs that day and did a fine job.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

well at least they had two.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

anyone make it the scrimmage today???

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Scrimmage at Logan ... Marietta and Logan Elm ...

An early start today at 3:30pm ... good scrimmage opponents for the youngsters of Logan ... opponent #1 Coach Secrest's Tigers came in with both size and speed ...will push the ball in transition but prefers to play in the half court ... MHS has the ability to hit the 3 ball and get into the paint around the rim ... opponent #2 Logan Elm ... the Braves of Coach Stiverson came in doing what all LE TEAMS do - play D, get out in transition, attack the rim, lots of physical play on offense - picks (I know REAL picks on REAL players)... kick the ball out to the perimeter for the 3 ball ...communication at both ends of the floor ... this years edition of the Braves lacks varsity experience SO look for LE to improve with each game out this season ...

... Logan's Juniors looked more comfortable on the court this go around ... the Purple is finding perimeter threats in (sr) Luke Miller (a given) ... throw in Bird McNeal, Tristan Myers as 3 point scorers as well ... Myers used his big frame to get position in the paint, was able to get to the rim/finishing while hitting 4 threes on the night excellent scrimmage for TM ... add to the mix Vermillion (solid outing again), Mutzner (looked more comfortable offensively), McNeal (was able to put the ball on the floor/get to the rim/finish AND hit the three), Gaven Jourdan upped his value tonight - hustling on defense, getting the ball inside with penetration and the pass, showed he could score on the offensive end hitting the mid range shot) ... (sr) Ronnie Webb earned more PT with his performance (got good position inside, rebounded, made good interior passes, finished in the paint) ... Coach Helber's Chiefs will continue to get better with every varsity game this season ... should be an exciting season for the Logan faithful ...

Scores for all but the last matchup between Logan Elm and Marietta ... 10 minute quarters with a running clock , stopping for fouls/foul shots only ...

Marietta 14
Logan 20

Logan Elm 17
Marietta 8

Logan 16
Logan Elm 14

Marietta 5
Logan 17

Marietta 13
Logan Elm 14

Logan Elm 13
Logan 9

Logan 13
Marietta 9

Logan Elm ???
Marietta ???

... have read a few MYTHS concerning scrimmages at Logan:

Myth #1 - no officials will work the Logan scrimmages ... <WRONG> there were officials everywhere! 3 for the varsity scrimmages, 3+ in the JV contests ...

Myth #2 - officials who work the Logan scrimmages DON'T get paid <WRONG> $30+ for each official doing the scrimmages ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Looks like the chiefs did well

They looked good against Logan Elm last year and things didn't go well the rest of the way

GO CHIEFS

Return to “Boys Basketball”