Final: Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60 on 12/15/09

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Re: Final: Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60 on 12/15/09

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Congrats Trojans on a good win. Hopefully this is a turning point of the season. I do think this game was poorly officiated, but it would be a tough one to call. I thought that overall both schools show good sportsmanship in the contest, and I was afraid that would not be the case. Some people have commented that they did not like our student section booing Mr. Bendolph. I personally didn't see any problem with it, and I am thankful that we live in a country where these students are able to express their distaste for Andrew's decision. If they were yelling something that was slanderous that would be a different story. I personally think it would be sad if our students didn't vocalize how they felt about a former classmate turning his back on them, and going to play for an arch rival, and no matter how you justify it that’s what happened.

Trojans obviously played their best game of the year so far, but there are plenty of things that we can still improve upon. This was a total team effort, with good games from several players coming off the bench. A few that stuck out in my mind were that of Isaiah Reeves, and Seth Bratchet, I though both played great when they were in. Obviously the starting 5 did very good as well. If we can keep up this leave of play, and get a few other key players eligibility worked out I think we could be a very dangerous team by mid season.

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

I just heard the news... Congratu- freakin- lations to Portsmouth! I heard Trey and Fo played their hearts out! Wish of could of been there.
No offense to the Burg players but I just love the Trojans!!! Good LUck on your next game.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

GO SEOAL

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Burg has alot of work to do..Very inconsistant on their shooting and just look lost at times on the court. No depth off the bench is hurting this team along with no one steping up and taking over the game when needed. There JV looked good tho...lol
One note I took from this game is Coach Collins is a class act

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Congratulations to the Trojans

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

It must have rubbed the people in Portsmouth the wrong way when Bendolph transfered to the Burg,I haven't heard this much crying since my little girls boyfriend broke up with her,Trojans you won the game, enjoy the hard fought battle the boys have just accomplished.Trojans had a great game from Johnson,and Stegman did not get enough touches.Trojans will be a good team if they continue to play hard every night and when the new players come back blend in with the chemistry.Burg will improve when the players roles are more established.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Congrats Trojans. Burg may have over-achieved last season?????

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

Congrats to the Trojans.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Wow. I am shocked. Tough loss. Portsmouth has not beat the Burg in a LONG time.

Not enough basketballs for the Burg?

Over-hyped?

No D?
What happened? Yikes. Not good at all.

Congrats, Portsmouth. I am happy to see a new coach finally get something good from PHS. I hope it can continue, for the kids' sake there. They need good things to start happening for them and their basketball program.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

First of all I would like to congraulate the Trojan players and staff for winning the ballgame last night. Coach Collins was gracious in victory. The players stepped up and made plays when they had to, being 14 down.
Last edited by alabama mike on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Excuse me for typing the next statement in ALL CAPS...........

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR TROJANS ON THE WIN........OUR KIDS SHOWED WHAT THE DEFINITION OF HEART IS ON A BASKETBALL COURT!!!

After Portsmouth's lackluster performances against South Webster and South Point.......I had serious doubts that our Trojans could pull this off.........but our kids have not only erased any doubt that I had about them, but have proven that they can win on the road vs. a very good team.

This win was Portsmouth's first at Wheelersburg since 1979.......I believe the score was 56-43........remember that the Burg and PHS have not played regularly over the last 30 years........they played each other up until the mid 80's, then the series has been off and on since then........the Pirates and Trojans did not play during the Suboticki years (1988-1991), then resumed briefly in the early 90's, then took a brief break again until the late 90's........if I remember the numbers that drrabbit posted last year, Wheelersburg now leads the series 16-14........Portsmouth and Wheelersburg are tied 3-3 in tournament play. Portsmouth got wins in 1978, 1983, and 1987, while Wheelersburg won in 1984, 2006, and 2007.

Forrest Johnson was outstanding for Portsmouth with 20 points before fouling out.......Tre Underwood once again had an outstanding game.......he is one of the most improved players in the SE district.......3 good games to start the season.......Wayne Evans played a very good all around game, and handled the ball quite a bit in the final critical minute........and I was glad to see Seth Bratchett and Lenny Collins get some experience in the final moments.......it will serve them well as the season goes. Isaiah Reeves came off the bench for the second straight game and made good things happen......I love the way Isaiah plays HARD.

CONGRATULATIONS TO COACH COLLINS ON HIS FIRST VICTORY.......HE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING THAT HASN'T HAPPENED AT PORTSMOUTH IN 30 YEARS!!!
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth shot the ball well in the clutch from the free throw line......Tre Underwood made his last 4 free throws......the final 2 iced the game........Forrest Johnson went a perfect 3 for 3 after getting fouled on a 3 pointer.......and Wayne Evans was money from the stripe.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Edited the above post about the series history......I previously stated that it was the first time that Portsmouth had won 2 regular seasons contests in a row vs. the Burg.......in fact, PHS beat Wheelersburg in 1979 at WHS and in 1980 at PHS. But it is the first time in 29 years that the Trojans have enjoyed back to back wins in the series.

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

Nice win for the Trojans! I don't think Coach Collins could ask for a better first victory. I wish I could've made it to the game.
Wheelersburg--do me a favor please--stop making excuses and accept your loss. There is no reason to get on here, list all the reasons you lost and blame the officials. I highly doubt that if the score would've been 64-60 Burg, then the same folks would've been on here bashing the refs. I follow more of the SVC, but I see this a lot from the Pirate nation...blame blame blame. From what I am seeing on here, PHS played hard and wanted the ball game more. They made the plays when they needed to. Barrick is a well-known coach in Ohio and very good at what he does. I'm sure he will get the guys together and get them ready for the rest of the season. There is A LOT of ball to be played.

And finally, the thing that made me laugh the most was someone bringing up the football score. Who Cares? You lost on the hardwood. Does this mean that the Portsmouth fans should start a thread on the football forum posting the score of the game last night. I can't wait until football season because I may just have to do that =).

Good luck to both teams.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I hear all the talk about who transferred to the Burg but I think a bigger factor is who didn't play at all this year for the burg.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

jgordon0315 wrote:
my2cents wrote:I didn't get to attend the game but did listen to it on the radio, and if it was the same refs that did the NB/Clay game then I feel sorry for the players. As Yabababa said, they were clowns in that game. A guy told me that the fat bald ref wouldn't make a call all night, and as far as I saw he didn't. They missed foul after foul and you couldn't draw a charge no matter how long you were set.

As for the fans, my son said the Portsmouth Students booed Bendolph every time he touched the ball early, that's kids, and it would be sad if the adults joined in. He also told me at the end of the game the Portsmouth fans were on the floor singing the trojan fight song to a bevy of "1" finger salutes from the burg side, again, if the adults took part in this behavior it is sad.

Overall it sounded like a great back and forth battle between two teams that are building talent for next season. Can't wait for the next game!

What's really sad is your 2 cents aint even worth that. To not even have been at the game and to make comments like that is irresponsible. (In a sarcastic voice): My son said yadda yadda yadda and if that happened that is sad. If, if, if. My friend told me if my aunt had gonads she'd be my uncle. lol. Loosen up people. It's a rivalry. Good sportmanship was on both sides but nobody's posting that. Good luck Wheelersburg the rest of the way.

Settle down Gordy. It was insinuated that the adults were booing Bendolph on the Portmsouth side, I said IF that was true it was sad, and I said IF the Burg adults were acting up it was sad. The key word being IF. The students were having fun, you could hear them on the radio.

BTW, I gradeated from the burg, so I know how involved the fans can get on both sides.

PS, If my aunt had gonads, she would still be my aunt. Don't you ever watch Jerry Springer.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Outstanding! Trojans made my day, my week, heck my Christmas, what an early present to beat the Burg on thier home floor. CONGRATS GENO! keep the faith brother and you will turn this program around! GO TROJANS!

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Anyone have pics from the game?

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

Time to move up Massie or McBee or both? Burg is really decimated by the players that did not or are unable to play. But, one thing is sure. A Barrick team will get better as the season goes on.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Bear42 wrote:Nice win for the Trojans! I don't think Coach Collins could ask for a better first victory. I wish I could've made it to the game.
Wheelersburg--do me a favor please--stop making excuses and accept your loss. There is no reason to get on here, list all the reasons you lost and blame the officials. I highly doubt that if the score would've been 64-60 Burg, then the same folks would've been on here bashing the refs. I follow more of the SVC, but I see this a lot from the Pirate nation...blame blame blame. From what I am seeing on here, PHS played hard and wanted the ball game more. They made the plays when they needed to. Barrick is a well-known coach in Ohio and very good at what he does. I'm sure he will get the guys together and get them ready for the rest of the season. There is A LOT of ball to be played.

And finally, the thing that made me laugh the most was someone bringing up the football score. Who Cares? You lost on the hardwood. Does this mean that the Portsmouth fans should start a thread on the football forum posting the score of the game last night. I can't wait until football season because I may just have to do that =).

Good luck to both teams.

Dear sir/madam........ I believe if you take the time to read all the posts here you will find that it was one of the overly enthusiastic TROJAN FANS that brought up and criticized the refs for trying to steal the game...... NOT a burg fan.
Congratulations to Portsmouth for beating the mighty Lakers.... ooops.... I mean Wheelersburg.... on their home floor. Certainly a feat of historic and forever remembered proportions. (good grief, get over it already, it was a high school basketball game). :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”