Western vs East District Final

Blue33
Freshman Team

Re: Western vs East District Final

Post by Blue33 »

Well I wouldn't pay the $5 if it bothers you all that bad.

LAIndian
Waterboy

Post by LAIndian »

Tartanblue wrote:Lets be honest on a few things, East losing Brown hurt in the final few minutes but also not taking care of the ball and free throws hurt them a lot. They hit free throws late and dont turn the ball over they win. Western took advantage of them. Also allowing Purdue to get close to if not 40 hurt.

Those are facts
You know you can be salty if you want. But there was a very small gap in the difference between these two teams this year. No blowouts either at East, or at Western. Yea, they had the better record, and they deserve all the praise from their terrific regular season. A gold ball is nothing to sneeze about. But go ahead if it makes you feel better and think that you should have dominated the game. They did a great job keeping Akia out of the paint where he does most of his damage. He got most of his points via FTs. And lets also be clear Perdue took the tough shots, you didn't allow him to have anything. Give the kid some credit. This game could have went either way from the get go. It was taken by the better team on Saturday Night Only. Very small gap between 1-6 in the district.

Those sir are the facts......

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Blue33 wrote:Well I wouldn't pay the $5 if it bothers you all that bad.
Say what? 5 bucks to watch people act like clowns? That's a way better deal than the circus. And don't worry, it wasn't only the East crowd, there were lots of others too.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

93Bulldog wrote:
Blue33 wrote:Well I wouldn't pay the $5 if it bothers you all that bad.
Say what? 5 bucks to watch people act like clowns? That's a way better deal than the circus. And don't worry, it wasn't only the East crowd, there were lots of others too.

It's sweet Lou's fault , he's always yelling...."let's get agitated!!! "...... :mrgreen:

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

LAIndian wrote:
Tartanblue wrote:Lets be honest on a few things, East losing Brown hurt in the final few minutes but also not taking care of the ball and free throws hurt them a lot. They hit free throws late and dont turn the ball over they win. Western took advantage of them. Also allowing Purdue to get close to if not 40 hurt.

Those are facts
You know you can be salty if you want. But there was a very small gap in the difference between these two teams this year. No blowouts either at East, or at Western. Yea, they had the better record, and they deserve all the praise from their terrific regular season. A gold ball is nothing to sneeze about. But go ahead if it makes you feel better and think that you should have dominated the game. They did a great job keeping Akia out of the paint where he does most of his damage. He got most of his points via FTs. And lets also be clear Perdue took the tough shots, you didn't allow him to have anything. Give the kid some credit. This game could have went either way from the get go. It was taken by the better team on Saturday Night Only. Very small gap between 1-6 in the district.

Those sir are the facts......
I'm not salty whatsoever, Western got the better hand with East and like a said cause turnovers and capitalized off them. Purdue did make some tough shots, I am not taking anything away from the young man, but East needed to make some adjustments to try and take him out of being a factor in the second half and made someone else step up and beat them once they got the lead. Western done what they had to do, especially in the first half when they got down by 10 twice by chipping away and causing turnovers. Next season will be just like this season between these two teams along with Clay and Notre Dame who all return their core parts. The SOC I next season will be interesting to watch with the top 5 teams

asb
Freshman Team

Post by asb »

First off I've watched Akia since kindergarten and he has never received a Technical foul. He is a great kid that plays with great sportsmanship. I was at the game as well and he did swipe at the ball accidentally hitting an official. On purpose, no but it happen. Was it a technical, no but they called it. You can't show officials your emotions either way (doesn't help anything ). If he could do it all over I bet it wouldn't have happened. I've said all along that western could beat any team left in the D4 tournament(including East), western made less mistakes and remained poise and got the win. There were blown calls throughout the whole game. Well there are blown calls every game. Officials aren't perfect. Let's talk about East staff never making any adjustments throughout the game. That was the difference IMO. Western has a heck of a coach and his kids play extremely hard for him. Congrats to Western and good luck. I'm routing for yall. #SOC1

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

Asb, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but I'm struggling.

First, we know you've watched Akia since kindergarten. Most fathers have watched their kids from day 1.

Second, what adjustments didn't they, or should they have made? I saw some adjustments and the coach you are giving so much credit to (at Western) acknowledged adjustments that East made as well in the Pike paper.

How was their "adjustments" the difference in this game? I thought it could have been the 20+ turnovers or the lack of execution in the last :30 seconds? How can you pinpoint coaching when you foul 3 pt. shooter, turn it over for a layup, and then turn it over on the next and last possession of regulation?

Your posts have been critical of the East staff all season, and for what? I don't think they have been perfect, but what staff has? This team has gone 11-11 as freshman, 17-7 last year (sectional champs) and went 20-5 this season (league champs, District runner-up). That is a very solid 3 year stretch.

So anyways, tell us what they should have done....

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

TheSportsGuy wrote:Asb, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but I'm struggling.

First, we know you've watched Akia since kindergarten. Most fathers have watched their kids from day 1.

Second, what adjustments didn't they, or should they have made? I saw some adjustments and the coach you are giving so much credit to (at Western) acknowledged adjustments that East made as well in the Pike paper.

How was their "adjustments" the difference in this game? I thought it could have been the 20+ turnovers or the lack of execution in the last :30 seconds? How can you pinpoint coaching when you foul 3 pt. shooter, turn it over for a layup, and then turn it over on the next and last possession of regulation?

Your posts have been critical of the East staff all season, and for what? I don't think they have been perfect, but what staff has? This team has gone 11-11 as freshman, 17-7 last year (sectional champs) and went 20-5 this season (league champs, District runner-up). That is a very solid 3 year stretch.

So anyways, tell us what they should have done....

Parents wear blinders, we all know that. The majority of parents refuse to blame their kid for things, therefore, it must be the coaches fault.

It's not just at East, it's everywhere. Every. Single. School. However, only a certain amount of parents get on social media/forums to post their disapproval.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

And for the record, as a casual fan in the stands, I thought East coach did a fine job. The only error I saw was not calling the timeout with under a minute left with the ball in a full court situation. East clearly looked confused and didn't even know who was going to throw it in ---- thus, became a turnover and a score for Western (East had either 2 or 3 timeouts left at this point).

However, lots of coaches make that mistake. They get just as caught up in the moment as any kid does and doesn't recognize things like that. That's when you need a great assistant to tap you on the shoulder and remind the coach "you have 3 left!"

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

js7_22 wrote:
Jackie Moon wrote:Does anybody know why the one official stopped at the end of the court as he was going into the locker room and took off his shoes leaving them at the end of the floor? This was done on the Western end of the floor? Not trying to be disrespectful to the officials just curious. :?:
Great game, congratulations to Western and good luck in the Regionals.
I believe it was Dave Hopkins and his last game as an official (I believe 25 years of reffing). Just his way of hanging it up.
Dave Hopkins hanging it up? Hell, he's not old enough to hang it up yet. He should have another 10 good years at least.

Return to “Boys Basketball”