Final: Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60 on 12/15/09

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Final: Portsmouth 64 @ Wheelersburg 60 on 12/15/09

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
Bear42 wrote:Nice win for the Trojans! I don't think Coach Collins could ask for a better first victory. I wish I could've made it to the game.
Wheelersburg--do me a favor please--stop making excuses and accept your loss. There is no reason to get on here, list all the reasons you lost and blame the officials. I highly doubt that if the score would've been 64-60 Burg, then the same folks would've been on here bashing the refs. I follow more of the SVC, but I see this a lot from the Pirate nation...blame blame blame. From what I am seeing on here, PHS played hard and wanted the ball game more. They made the plays when they needed to. Barrick is a well-known coach in Ohio and very good at what he does. I'm sure he will get the guys together and get them ready for the rest of the season. There is A LOT of ball to be played.

And finally, the thing that made me laugh the most was someone bringing up the football score. Who Cares? You lost on the hardwood. Does this mean that the Portsmouth fans should start a thread on the football forum posting the score of the game last night. I can't wait until football season because I may just have to do that =).

Good luck to both teams.

Dear sir/madam........ I believe if you take the time to read all the posts here you will find that it was one of the overly enthusiastic TROJAN FANS that brought up and criticized the refs for trying to steal the game...... NOT a burg fan.
Congratulations to Portsmouth for beating the mighty Lakers.... ooops.... I mean Wheelersburg.... on their home floor. Certainly a feat of historic and forever remembered proportions. (good grief, get over it already, it was a high school basketball game). :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like was said, no one from the Burg was saying the refs cost the Burg the game, most of them, me included just said that they did a horrible job. They were horrible in the Clay-NB game I watched and they were horrible last night. Those three are not good refs and are not sure what to call sometimes on certain plays. Lot of No Calls on drives to the basket in once instance and then they call Stegman for a foul when he is standing straight up and made no play for the ball. Very inconsistent.

LetsGoPSU wrote:Outstanding! Trojans made my day, my week, heck my Christmas, what an early present to beat the Burg on thier home floor. CONGRATS GENO! keep the faith brother and you will turn this program around! GO TROJANS!

That's another thing that is funny. Portsmouth wouldn't care if they won another game all year as long as they just won this one. I guess Burg should be proud to say that they are an elite enough program that if someone does beat them on there homecourt they will get mentioned at that teams banquet.

How many years in a row over the last ten has Burg beaten the Trojans at home or at there place. Do you think that was a topic of discussion at the Burg banquet? Don't think so. This Burg team is not as good as what everyone thought going in, with those certain players not playing. They are at best, 6 deep right now and do not have a replacement for Stegman if he goes out of the game. That was proven last night. Schankweiler would helpi f he is able to play this year, but just not sure that is going to happen.

Both teams still have room for improvement and should only get better as the year goes on. After watching McBee and Masssie last night for the first time, I think that would contribute some good minutes on the court as they could spell Bendolph and Lang when needed, plus give them some much needed depth off the bench

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

trojandave was it the 1980 team that went to the state? I remember watching Portsmouth play in the state they had two guards that was very quick. I just can't remember the year. Great win for Portsmouth I would like to see them get back like they were in the old days.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

Man, what happened to all that returning talent? NW should have won, PHS, Peake did.
Burg had everyone back from last year plus Bendolph? I know Shanks hurt and others didn't return for some reason but I believe the burg overachieved last year and some thought this was a state tourney team coming back. The expectations need to be dialed back a bit. This is not a 10 deep talented loaded team like some posters thought. Great win by PHS! I think Valley, NW and Oak Hill will be the front runners in the SOC this year and the teams to beat.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

No, not now they are not. You are missing, Kemper, Whitley and Craigmiles from last years team, plus Schankweiler was a starter last year that has been missed this year, so yeah, this years team would have been about 9 deep with some good guard play. The only place they would have still been hurting with is a replacement for Stegman, but they could have ran a 4 guard, 1 forward offense and ran teams out of the gym. They would have been a very fast ballclub.

You don't see alot of Burg posters on here setting up the high expectations. That was mostly coming form outsiders with the main one being pfloyd and his elite 8. In no way, shape or form was the Burg the best team in the area this year. They still had some questions and no one knew how well bendolph would fit in to Barrick's style of play. IMO the young man has fit in well and Burg jsut needs to work out some kinks. They will be just fine come tourney time.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

marshallman wrote:Man, what happened to all that returning talent? NW should have won, PHS, Peake did.
Burg had everyone back from last year plus Bendolph? I know Shanks hurt and others didn't return for some reason but I believe the burg overachieved last year and some thought this was a state tourney team coming back. The expectations need to be dialed back a bit. This is not a 10 deep talented loaded team like some posters thought. Great win by PHS! I think Valley, NW and Oak Hill will be the front runners in the SOC this year and the teams to beat.

Like Yabba just stated, had the 4 players he listed played this season then yes they would have been 9 or 10 deep. But without them they aren't. The only player on the bench that I see that can come in and actually produce is Ballard. After that the talent level drops off dramatically.

This season we will see just how good a coach Barrick is. If he can get 13 to 15 regular season wins out of the team and win the sectional then he should get COTY. He has a good starting 5 and that's about it.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

I am now putting dressing on my hat as I am about to eat the hat....Great job Trojans! It is a long season but the win over Burg is a great start.. Keep working hard in practice and the games will take care of themselves.....WipalaWalt

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

On Portsmouth, On Forever More...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
Bear42 wrote:Nice win for the Trojans! I don't think Coach Collins could ask for a better first victory. I wish I could've made it to the game.
Wheelersburg--do me a favor please--stop making excuses and accept your loss. There is no reason to get on here, list all the reasons you lost and blame the officials. I highly doubt that if the score would've been 64-60 Burg, then the same folks would've been on here bashing the refs. I follow more of the SVC, but I see this a lot from the Pirate nation...blame blame blame. From what I am seeing on here, PHS played hard and wanted the ball game more. They made the plays when they needed to. Barrick is a well-known coach in Ohio and very good at what he does. I'm sure he will get the guys together and get them ready for the rest of the season. There is A LOT of ball to be played.

And finally, the thing that made me laugh the most was someone bringing up the football score. Who Cares? You lost on the hardwood. Does this mean that the Portsmouth fans should start a thread on the football forum posting the score of the game last night. I can't wait until football season because I may just have to do that =).

Good luck to both teams.

Dear sir/madam........ I believe if you take the time to read all the posts here you will find that it was one of the overly enthusiastic TROJAN FANS that brought up and criticized the refs for trying to steal the game...... NOT a burg fan.
Congratulations to Portsmouth for beating the mighty Lakers.... ooops.... I mean Wheelersburg.... on their home floor. Certainly a feat of historic and forever remembered proportions. (good grief, get over it already, it was a high school basketball game). :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like was said, no one from the Burg was saying the refs cost the Burg the game, most of them, me included just said that they did a horrible job. They were horrible in the Clay-NB game I watched and they were horrible last night. Those three are not good refs and are not sure what to call sometimes on certain plays. Lot of No Calls on drives to the basket in once instance and then they call Stegman for a foul when he is standing straight up and made no play for the ball. Very inconsistent.

LetsGoPSU wrote:Outstanding! Trojans made my day, my week, heck my Christmas, what an early present to beat the Burg on thier home floor. CONGRATS GENO! keep the faith brother and you will turn this program around! GO TROJANS!

That's another thing that is funny. Portsmouth wouldn't care if they won another game all year as long as they just won this one. I guess Burg should be proud to say that they are an elite enough program that if someone does beat them on there homecourt they will get mentioned at that teams banquet.

How many years in a row over the last ten has Burg beaten the Trojans at home or at there place. Do you think that was a topic of discussion at the Burg banquet? Don't think so. This Burg team is not as good as what everyone thought going in, with those certain players not playing. They are at best, 6 deep right now and do not have a replacement for Stegman if he goes out of the game. That was proven last night. Schankweiler would helpi f he is able to play this year, but just not sure that is going to happen.

Both teams still have room for improvement and should only get better as the year goes on. After watching McBee and Masssie last night for the first time, I think that would contribute some good minutes on the court as they could spell Bendolph and Lang when needed, plus give them some much needed depth off the bench

you could NOT be more wrong with that statement, as nice as it is to beat Burg ,I would much rather beat Ironton ;-)

and I was at our Banquet,I dont ever remember hearing Burg...but the first game in our new digs was on the big screen agains P west,all night :mrgreen:

also,if Mcbee is number 22 on the JV team..he is ready to play Varsity :122246

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

marshallman wrote:I think Valley, NW and Oak Hill will be the front runners in the SOC this year and the teams to beat.[/quote]

Better throw Waverly in there...they have the best starting 5 in the league imo

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

Congrats Trojans!

gunit
Freshman Team

Post by gunit »

Everyone keeps talking about all of the kids that did not play....... I would guess that one of the reasons they did not play is maybe because of team chemistry with the new addition to the program.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

yabbadabbadoo and maltese falcon: As much as I enjoyed the Wheelersburg win, I would much rather do well in the SEOAL than to beat the Pirates.......the SEOAL is 70% of our schedule......do poorly in the league and we are looking at another losing season. My original post about this game was that there were 14 league games after Wheelersburg.

What makes the Wheelersburg win special is that the Pirates have DOMINATED the series over the last decade, with the exception of the last 2 years..........Portsmouth's two straight wins still gives us only 3 wins vs. the Burg in the last 13 games.

I think it's all fine that the Trojan fans and alumni think that winning at Wheelersburg for the first time since 1979 is a big deal........we currently have 7 straight losing seasons (52-100 during that time).......go back in history and look at the WHS basketball program records.......to my knowledge, Wheelersburg has NEVER had 7 straight losing seasons........significant wins during these 7 years have been far and few between for PHS........if one were to look at it from those numbers then perhaps the joy of winning at the Burg for the first time since 79 would be better understood.

And for the record, the Burg's winning streak at Portsmouth ended last year with the 68-60 Trojan win.......

Finally, I will say this and have said it numerous times on SEOPS.......Wheelersburg has the best athletic program in all of the SE District, and beating them in anything should be something to be proud of.

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

falconater wrote:Time to move up Massie or McBee or both? Burg is really decimated by the players that did not or are unable to play. But, one thing is sure. A Barrick team will get better as the season goes on.

Massie should be moved up for sure. He can flat out play.

ohhsgottagetthatblue
Waterboy

Post by ohhsgottagetthatblue »

iwearblacknikes wrote:
falconater wrote:Time to move up Massie or McBee or both? Burg is really decimated by the players that did not or are unable to play. But, one thing is sure. A Barrick team will get better as the season goes on.

Right on, Kimosabe :-D

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

no comparison to facilities trojans vs burg. trojan gym is great to watch a game in. burg gym sad. a little better than the old one but no room for radio, pep band, locker rooms small and best of all coach closet or office i mean. you have to shift furniture around to get the door closed.

trojans played a great game. number 32 played is heart out. burg has no bench. stegman's subs are simply hatchet men. the big men subs direction must be to simply pound people and try to get them flustered. one of the fouls by burg in the game should have been a "T". very poor sportsmanship on his part. trojans just got the job done.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

why aren't the above mentioned players playing this year?

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

also,if Mcbee is number 22 on the JV team..he is ready to play Varsity

I agree biggdogg I think McBee is ready and could contribute on the Varsity level..
Last edited by 91Grad on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

iwearblacknikes wrote:

I think McBee and Massie both could play Varsity ... But would hate to see them moved up and only get a few minutes playing time.. If that were the case I think they are better off on JV getting gametime minutes but the one time I saw those boys this year I woul almost say they would be ready to start Varsity.. JMO

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

bballin wrote:
I think McBee and Massie both could play Varsity ... But would hate to see them moved up and only get a few minutes playing time.. If that were the case I think they are better off on JV getting gametime minutes but the one time I saw those boys this year I woul almost say they would be ready to start Varsity.. JMO

i think they should maybe just play Clay like 3 quarters on the JV and get a lead enough to get the victory and then let him play 2 quarter varsity. You get 5 quarters a night so I don't see why not?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

gunit wrote:Everyone keeps talking about all of the kids that did not play....... I would guess that one of the reasons they did not play is maybe because of team chemistry with the new addition to the program.

I won't believe that for a second. All of the players on thne team get along well with Andrew, evident as they got him to play football with them this year. He only makes this year team better and I'm really impressed with his play.

I did hear talk that one player didn't play because Andrew came to Burg and if he did, that you don't need a player like that on your team. If he can't play within the team setting and compete for playing time, then hit the road.

I agree also that McBee and Massie should be on the varsity, but need to get there playing time at the JV. They would be hard pressed to beat out Bendolph and Lang and Miller at the guard spot, but would be very nice replacements for any three of them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”