Final: @ Chillicothe 66 Portsmouth 61 in 2OT

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Final: @ Chillicothe 66 Portsmouth 61 in 2OT

Post by biggdowgg »

I know one thing, they will have big problems one of these days, if they keep letting the student section storm the floor as the visting teams players are still out there.

I know somomne said something to the Principal after the game about it,and he seemd to think it was OK.

thats no bashing on the kids,,the adm. should have handled it better..
Chilly student section is awsome.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

The Principal should have been more then suspended, is this the type of guy you want teaching youre KIDS?

and his ugly side came out again tonight, trying to push a bunch of KIDS around at a high school basketball game, he should be ashamed of himself,and the entire staff at Chillicother high school should be just as embarrassed to have him :!:

and like posted above, you will have a big free for all on that floor one night when them kids charge the floor like that,and from what I seen from Chillicothes finest, they are to freaking stupid to handle that kind of problem.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Personally being a Chillicothe fan,also I was the one that when Tory Horne fell down against the Chillicothe bleachers I was going to help him up. Anyways Mr. Payne shouldn't have said anything to the Portsmouth fans! Its a game let the fans cheer! Good Job Portsmouth fans you tried to make the Hat your own! Go Cavs|

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Cavaliers on the win........they cameback from a 10 point deficit and then made the big plays in the 2OT to win the game........

But I am VERY PROUD of our Trojans for their great effort.......unfortunately we just couldn't close the game out........but I can remember over the last several years how Chillicothe had blown out Portsmouth on the scoreboard.......our program has come a long way since those days........two losses by a total of 8 points to CHS this year, while the previous 6 SEOAL meetings had the closest game being a 23 point Cavalier win.

Tory Horne was SENSATIONAL for Portsmouth........he showed the COMPLETE package of skills........no question in my mind that he is a D1 college prospect........he made some extremely difficult shots in the paint, including several over Malik London. Based on my figures Tory is averaging 25.0 points a game.......the PHS record for a single season is 25.5 by Larry Hisle in 1965.

I STILL BELIEVE in our Trojans!!!.........we have the talent, the coaching........now we just have to close out games better!!

About the Cavaliers........they have 3 solid players.......London, Ragland, and Turner......and all 3 stepped up their games last night.......London showed a nice mid range jumper, good touch around the basket, and of course great defense........Ragland had a big first half with a nice jumper, while Turner was a difference maker in the second half and in the OT's. Isaac Beverly played his role and his defense was very good, while freshman Zach Johnson nailed two big free throws in the second OT.

Chillicothe can make a run in tourney......they have the talent.......like Portsmouth, it is just a matter of jelling together......

It was great to talk to Hitchbone64 and to meet bvmv4life for the first time.......both were very nice, very complimentary about the Trojans and gracious in victory.........also got to chat with CHS assistant coach Andy Merriman........and I did eat at Casa Del Taco after the game with jgordon0315 and another friend.......it was great as always!!
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The series now stands at 40-40, with Chillicothe winning 13 in a row........but we are getting closer and closer to getting a win vs. the Cavaliers, and last night encourages me considering what we will have coming back next year........Tre Underwood, Wayne Evans, Dion McKinley, and some other sophomores that will help us.......including Lenny Collins, Seth Bratchett, and LJ Adams.

In the JV game, LJ Adams was OUTSTANDING!!.......even though the Trojans lost, LJ Adams had his best game of the year, scoring over 20 points.......encouraging to see that considering LJ will be in the varsity rotation next year.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Unfortunately for Portsmouth this loss could result in the Trojans having to face Ironton or Oak Hill to get out of the sectional........PHS had a chance to get the #4 vs. #5 game if they had continued to win out, but now with 6 losses it will tough to get that game even if we win the remaining 5 games to the draw.........BUT..........

WE CAN BEAT ANYBODY WE WILL PLAY!!!.........GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has played 8 games decided by 6 points or less, and in those 8 are 2 overtime games and 1 double overtime game........the Trojans are 4-4 in those 8 games, and 1-2 in overtime games.

Portsmouth has lost 4 SEOAL games by a total of 16 points........

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

One final note: I do think the CHS principal should have done the same to the CHS student section.......I know our kids were jumping up and down on the bleachers, but the CHS students were doing the jump around (like Wisconsin) on their side. I didn't see him reprimanding them for their behavior.

I thought both student sections showed a lot of spirit.......which was refreshing to see since I don't see it nearly as often these days.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

That was a heart breaker. Not in the sense of we can't recover from this. But that's the type of game you want to get over this mental block of the past 7 years or so. To beat the teams that at the beginning of the year you have circled on the schedule is big for this group of Trojans because of a stockpile of signature wins will help this teams confidence. Trying to change a losing culture is hardest when you lose games like these. We've got one more game on the schedule that the Trojans will have no problem getting up for and that's against Ironton. Other than that one it's gonna take Eugene being a phsychologist in order to make sure they don't come out flat against any other team. Not that the other teams are cakewalks but the psyche of 16, 17 and 18 year olds is pretty fragile.

Chilli has great components to make a run, with length and size being one of the biggest. As for the Trojans on paper we have a heck of a team. But the game isn't won on paper it's won on the court. Again, great game by both squads. Horne was only 7 points off Portsmouth's single game record set by Larry Hisle of 41 points. Too bad in a losing effort.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Would've like to have seen Deion in a starting role mainly because he is an emotional player and a good presence around the basket. With him being such an emotional player and him coming out amped to play then going to sit on the bench is counterproductive. Way too many offensive rebounds given up with Chilli, especially early on. His lack of varsity experience is the only thing that is holding him back. He has the talent.

magic man
Waterboy

Post by magic man »

Just to add in there. the chilly student section wasnt jumping . they were bouncing on their heels. its diffrent to jump up and down like a bouch a hooligans. i di belive thats what the trojans were doin but chilly was contained i feel. nothing bad was said atleast

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

magic man wrote:Just to add in there. the chilly student section wasnt jumping . they were bouncing on their heels. its diffrent to jump up and down like a bouch a hooligans. i di belive thats what the trojans were doin but chilly was contained i feel. nothing bad was said atleast

that has to be the dumbest post on this thread.

the Chilly students was jumping ,just as the Portsmouth students was, no different!

and to take it even further the Chilly students in the front row,was on the playing floor,more then must bench players for both teams, this is a hazard to the players,on both teams,and Im pretty sure it is not permmited, if you are in the front row on the floor, you must be seated, how ever if it is permitted, you would thing the proper people working the games could see how dangerous this is and not allowe it, but then again we seen what kind of leadership is in control up there

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

I hate to stay on the subject of the students being that they were both great! Why would the powers that be let a student shoot jumpers while the Trojans were warming up? They need to get a hold of the situation because the Cavs have 4 more big games at home(Warren,Jackson,Reynoldsburg and Waverly)! Go Cavs keep rising to the top!

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

sportsfan43 wrote:
magic man wrote:Just to add in there. the chilly student section wasnt jumping . they were bouncing on their heels. its diffrent to jump up and down like a bouch a hooligans. i di belive thats what the trojans were doin but chilly was contained i feel. nothing bad was said atleast
I agree BIG TIME!

that has to be the dumbest post on this thread.

the Chilly students was jumping ,just as the Portsmouth students was, no different!

and to take it even further the Chilly students in the front row,was on the playing floor,more then must bench players for both teams, this is a hazard to the players,on both teams,and Im pretty sure it is not permmited, if you are in the front row on the floor, you must be seated, how ever if it is permitted, you would thing the proper people working the games could see how dangerous this is and not allowe it, but then again we seen what kind of leadership is in control up there

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

This thread is pretty funny. The Chilly students were bouncing on their heels, lol. I thought it was all fun spirited on both sides. It only became iffy when Chilly's student section charged over towards Portsmouth's. That's the only thing that could've got out of hand. I think that it almost escolated into something worse when there was some mouthing back and forth betweeen Portsmouth and Chilly players as soon as the game ended. Both sides could've handled that differently. Just walk off and shake hands. I don't have a problem with the students storming the floor. Just not in that situation when the tension between the two teams was borderline bitter. The Trojans are still learning how to handle adversity. Chilly, i guess is still learning how to handle success.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

biggdowgg wrote:there ae some great players in this league,and I am a bit bias,but to me there is NOT a better player in this league then Torey Horne, who had 34 tonight,and has scored 20, or more in all 6 games he has played this season.

congrats to Chilly on the big win

biggdowgg,

I agree with your assessment. Horne is a beast. I am a bit biased on POY, because I have seen Turner play some monster offensive game. Ironton may very well end up with the POY as they may go undefeated in conference. One thing that will be tough is the All League team with no North and South.

I am pulling for the SEOAL teams as always during tourney time, but my affections have always been against Chilly's Decades long rival in the Trojans. Good luck Trojans!

GO CAVS!!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Just my quick assessment on both student sections. The school spirit was outstanding and I love it. However, some things can go over the top. I am not sure of the conference/school guidelines on adminstrators covering games, but Chilly had all of theirs out in full force. I thought I saw a Portsmouth adminstrator go over to the Student Section after Mr. Payne spoke to her, but I could be wrong. I don't condone the "jumping" or the "bouncing on the hells" :). That creates possible injury and damage to property.

One thing that I wished had not happened was the incident after the game with Mr. Payne, Mr. Davidson (our Asst AD) and an adult from P-Town. I don't think she was an administrator because she laid into Mr. Payne and Mr. Davidson with some words not taught in English or Speech class. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and we don't carry this over to next year.

I do love a great rivalry!!!

GO CAVS!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hitchbone64

you are right about Turner, he is a great player.

and if you will look in the POY thread, you and I also agree on, Irontons Tim K being the POY.

but,,they will NOT go undefeated in league play :mrgreen:

should come on down tuesday night, to see a great Rivalry go at it at the Portsmouth High School 8)

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hitchbone64 wrote:Just my quick assessment on both student sections. The school spirit was outstanding and I love it. However, some things can go over the top. I am not sure of the conference/school guidelines on adminstrators covering games, but Chilly had all of theirs out in full force. I thought I saw a Portsmouth adminstrator go over to the Student Section after Mr. Payne spoke to her, but I could be wrong. I don't condone the "jumping" or the "bouncing on the hells" :). That creates possible injury and damage to property.

One thing that I wished had not happened was the incident after the game with Mr. Payne, Mr. Davidson (our Asst AD) and an adult from P-Town. I don't think she was an administrator because she laid into Mr. Payne and Mr. Davidson with some words not taught in English or Speech class. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and we don't carry this over to next year.

GO CAVS!!!

she was NOT aschool official, her son was on the floor when the student section came charging across the floor as the teams was still on the floor, her son actualy got bumbed but a couple of the students,,,she was concerned as to waht was going to happen,as bothe teams players were jawing at each other ater a heated game.

still, does not give anyone the right to go onto the floor,she should have let the coahes etc handle the situation.

but , again...what a great game , huh?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

biggdowgg wrote:
hitchbone64 wrote:Just my quick assessment on both student sections. The school spirit was outstanding and I love it. However, some things can go over the top. I am not sure of the conference/school guidelines on adminstrators covering games, but Chilly had all of theirs out in full force. I thought I saw a Portsmouth adminstrator go over to the Student Section after Mr. Payne spoke to her, but I could be wrong. I don't condone the "jumping" or the "bouncing on the hells" :). That creates possible injury and damage to property.

GO CAVS!!!

she was NOT aschool official, her son was on the floor when the student section came charging across the floor as the teams was still on the floor, her son actualy got bumbed but a couple of the students,,,she was concerned as to waht was going to happen,as bothe teams players were jawing at each other ater a heated game.

still, does not give anyone the right to go onto the floor,she should have let the coahes etc handle the situation.

but , again...what a great game , huh?

Thanks biggdowgg, I was hoping she was not an adminstrator. She is full of energy. In any event, the kids do need to be very careful rushing the floor. I don't know who interceded, but someone pushed our kids back to get some control (thank goodness). I personally apologize for the kids shooting while the Trojans were warming up. I jumped on one of them and as he sat down the others followed. I am old school.

Return to “Boys Basketball”