2021-2022 SVC

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Re: 2021-2022 SVC

Post by Svcguru »

mikepike wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm What is going on in the SVC? I don’t know if anyone will get out of the sectionals this year.
It’s a very competitive league! I think a couple teams could win a sectional title very easily with the right draw.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

I think Zane Trace can get to at least the District Finals.
I know they are 12-5, but they are still not very consistent.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

petesweaty wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:12 pm I think Zane Trace can get to at least the District Finals.
I know they are 12-5, but they are still not very consistent.
Been playing much better as of late, besides the possible outlier last night. They are the one team I think can advance that far from the league this year

With their size and strength inside, they’ll be a bear for anyone in D3. I think Nichols is the X-factor, if he can get to double figures, they are going to be very hard to beat

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

redchair wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:08 pm Like I thought, ZT will win this league with Unioto and PV right behind them.

Piketon and WF surprised me, doing better than I had thought. Thought they would be battling it out with the bottom teams. You really have to give Piketon’s coach a lot of credit. They were the team that I thought would really struggle.

Considering what Adena and SE lost, I thought they had slightly better years than expected. Thought one of these 2 would maybe go winless.

Huntington is a team that really disappointed. Many people picking them 4th or 5th in the league. Looks like they won’t win a single league game. They’ve always won a couple league games, even when they’ve been bad the last few years. That’s a program that went from bad to absolutely embarrassing.
I have had the fortune of seeing Huntington play and I would not call them embarrassing at all! That team plays extremely hard and is disciplined and well coached. With a bounce or two here and there, they would have a couple of league wins. Seeing what is coming down the line for Huntington, I can see this program really rising in the next few seasons. So to say that they are "absolutely embarrassing", I respectfully disagree.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

soggybottomtopper wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:57 pm
redchair wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:08 pm Like I thought, ZT will win this league with Unioto and PV right behind them.

Piketon and WF surprised me, doing better than I had thought. Thought they would be battling it out with the bottom teams. You really have to give Piketon’s coach a lot of credit. They were the team that I thought would really struggle.

Considering what Adena and SE lost, I thought they had slightly better years than expected. Thought one of these 2 would maybe go winless.

Huntington is a team that really disappointed. Many people picking them 4th or 5th in the league. Looks like they won’t win a single league game. They’ve always won a couple league games, even when they’ve been bad the last few years. That’s a program that went from bad to absolutely embarrassing.
I have had the fortune of seeing Huntington play and I would not call them embarrassing at all! That team plays extremely hard and is disciplined and well coached. With a bounce or two here and there, they would have a couple of league wins. Seeing what is coming down the line for Huntington, I can see this program really rising in the next few seasons. So to say that they are "absolutely embarrassing", I respectfully disagree.
I agree. Compared to where they were a few years ago, this team is heading in the right direction now. Sure, it will take a year or two for the current coaching staff to get the kids in a position to be successful, but they will get there. They are involved in the youth programs and trying to build a good program. They had a few kids transfer and/or just not play, so numbers are hurting them. But they kids go out and play hard. Like you said, they are disciplined and play hard. The basketball stuff will come over the years with more involvement in the youth program. Good things to come from the TWP, I hope.

redchair
Waterboy

Post by redchair »

Soggybottom and transplant, I wasn’t trying to bash the kids. I apologize if that’s the way it came off. I was talking about only having 9 kids playing basketball in the whole high school and losing every league game. They’ve always had good numbers before and always managed to win a game or 2 in the league regardless of lacking talent. I’m sure you both know more about Huntington basketball than I do, but a program with only 9 kids is not going in the right direction.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I know you weren’t. I didn’t take it that way. Huntington is a small school. They are probably the smallest D3 school I’d say? Just not many basketball players to choose from. Answer me this, if the previous coach is still there, how many kids do they have?

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

redchair wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:06 pm Soggybottom and transplant, I wasn’t trying to bash the kids. I apologize if that’s the way it came off. I was talking about only having 9 kids playing basketball in the whole high school and losing every league game. They’ve always had good numbers before and always managed to win a game or 2 in the league regardless of lacking talent. I’m sure you both know more about Huntington basketball than I do, but a program with only 9 kids is not going in the right direction.
No apology needed. You are only expressing your opinion and I respect that. I was only giving mine as well. The 9 kids is a direct result of a coaching change and the expectations of new work ethics. I believe some kids left because more was expected of them and they were not able to give as much as was expected. Just my take, right or wrong. But, I see the discipline and structure now in place and I see how hard these kids play. I see The Township coming out and supporting what they see. I know the talent in the middle school and the structure in the youth programs. This is where I see the future of a program that is about to break out. Once again, just my take, right or wrong.

redchair
Waterboy

Post by redchair »

transplant wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:25 pm Answer me this, if the previous coach is still there, how many kids do they have?
I’m not sure, I don’t know a lot about Huntington. I do know they had a freshman team the last few years. That’s at least enough kids to field 3 teams. The previous coach never went o-fer in the league, either. And the league is considerably weaker now than it has been the last few years. Better numbers, more wins = a better program. It’s a shame the administration couldn’t convince him to stay. Listen, I don’t know if you’re the new coach’s wife or friend, but I didn’t really want to get in a conversation about the worst team in the league. That was never my intention. I just wrote a little about each team and how they were doing. Since you both are calling me out, I have to be honest. Not trying to offend anyone.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

redchair wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:38 pm
transplant wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:25 pm Answer me this, if the previous coach is still there, how many kids do they have?
I’m not sure, I don’t know a lot about Huntington. I do know they had a freshman team the last few years. That’s at least enough kids to field 3 teams. The previous coach never went o-fer in the league, either. And the league is considerably weaker now than it has been the last few years. Better numbers, more wins = a better program. It’s a shame the administration couldn’t convince him to stay. Listen, I don’t know if you’re the new coach’s wife or friend, but I didn’t really want to get in a conversation about the worst team in the league. That was never my intention. I just wrote a little about each team and how they were doing. Since you both are calling me out, I have to be honest. Not trying to offend anyone.
No, I get it. I didn’t mean to come off that way. Not a coach, or wife. Not even from Huntington. It’s all good. I understand what you were trying to do. I get they are 0-fer in the league. I wasn’t trying to calll you out, my bad. Just wanted your input, that’s all. I really thought they would have won a few league games this year. But I was wrong. All good.

redchair
Waterboy

Post by redchair »

transplant wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:08 pm I really thought they would have won a few league games this year. But I was wrong. All good.
This was my thinking, too. I actually had them picked 4th, behind ZT, U and PV. That’s why I was disappointed by their season thus far. Westfall and Piketon both made me look foolish. I thought they’d both be in the bottom half. Westfall has had some surprising wins. I think they could do some damage in the tourney. PV will also fair well if they are in D4, which I assume they are.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

Zane Trace wins on the road at Paint Valley. Win gives Zt at least a share of Svc title with two games left in league play.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Svcguru wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:48 pm Zane Trace wins on the road at Paint Valley. Win gives Zt at least a share of Svc title with two games left in league play.
ZT has by far the best overall talent in the league. The other teams have a decent player or two and that is it.
The conference is 21-33 in the non-league. The bottom half of the SVC plays some really bad teams to get wins also.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Bozo wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:31 pm
Svcguru wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:48 pm Zane Trace wins on the road at Paint Valley. Win gives Zt at least a share of Svc title with two games left in league play.
ZT has by far the best overall talent in the league. The other teams have a decent player or two and that is it.
The conference is 21-33 in the non-league. The bottom half of the SVC plays some really bad teams to get wins also.
Congratulations to Zane Trace. It is always easy to predict what a team "should" do. But, it is not always easy to do it.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

The Hunter wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:09 pm
soggybottomtopper wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:52 am
Bozo wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:31 pm

Congratulations to Zane Trace. It is always easy to predict what a team "should" do. But, it is not always easy to do it.
It makes it really hard to do when you chase off half the team, soggybottomtopper!
Who got chased off? Talking about ZT?

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

The Hunter wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:54 pm No, I’m talking about Huntington. The team soggybottom coaches. We’re not going to be very good without players. We would have finished in the middle of the league if our coach hadn’t came in and chased kids off.
ONE: I do not coach Huntington. So that is an idiotic statement at best.
TWO: Don't blame a coach for expecting his players to play hard and demand their best. If players cannot handle that, let's be honest, they are not players.
THREE: When kids decide to quit, because a coach wants more out of them, I don't blame the coach...sorry.
FOUR: If I WERE the coach at Huntington, I would want those kids that are on the court right now, because they play hard, they play physical and you never see attitude from them or any of them throwing their teammates under the bus.

Just my opinion, but Huntington will be fine. The program will get more and more disciplined. More and more physical. More and more tough. And the skill and talent is coming. It is crazy how some see situations one way and others see it totally opposite. Parents and "outside talking heads" are the biggest problem with any program in my opinion. Let a coach, coach. Get out of the way. After 3 or 4 seasons when a system is in place, then you can make a judgement based on progress, then bash all you like.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

agree, if hard work and discipline makes a kid quit, then probably not going to help much anyway. It will take a few years to get the system he wants there in place,

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

The Hunter wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:26 pm
soggybottomtopper wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:29 pm
The Hunter wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:54 pm No, I’m talking about Huntington. The team soggybottom coaches. We’re not going to be very good without players. We would have finished in the middle of the league if our coach hadn’t came in and chased kids off.
TWO: Don't blame a coach for expecting his players to play hard and demand their best. If players cannot handle that, let's be honest, they are not players.
THREE: When kids decide to quit, because a coach wants more out of them, I don't blame the coach...sorry.
FOUR: If I WERE the coach at Huntington, I would want those kids that are on the court right now, because they play hard, they play physical and you never see attitude from them or any of them throwing their teammates under the bus.

Just my opinion, but Huntington will be fine. The program will get more and more disciplined. More and more physical. More and more tough. And the skill and talent is coming. It is crazy how some see situations one way and others see it totally opposite. Parents and "outside talking heads" are the biggest problem with any program in my opinion. Let a coach, coach. Get out of the way. After 3 or 4 seasons when a system is in place, then you can make a judgement based on progress, then bash all you like.
One: Who are you then? Who else would know that much about the teams on the D3 tournament. You’re either Bradley or his wife. If you’re Bradley’s wife, he’s telling you everything to say.
Two: So, there are only 9 players in the whole high school?
Three: High numbers are a sign of a good coach, low numbers are a sign of a poor coach. I heard the players at Adena couldn’t stand you, but played in spite of it. Kids in the township won’t put up with your nonsense.
Four: Did you put a system in place at Adena? They would have been the worst team in the league this year if you hadn’t got the job at Huntington. You’re on here talking about getting the program more physical, tougher and more disciplined, but the point is to win games, not make everyone miserable, coach. You’re not winning games now and I doubt you ever will.
I'm guessing you missed the part on the rules of this site to not call people out by name if they choose to remain anonymous (part of what this site is about) and making bold accusations towards someone specific that you aren't even sure of who they really are. Anyone could know information about the teams in the D3 tourney if they took the time to go watch different teams on a weekly basis or read up on them

I have no dog in this fight but don't agree with calling people out by taking a guess.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

soggybottomtopper wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:29 pm

This is not one team, boys or girls, this is for all athletes.
Players need pushed. Unfortunately pushing some players to be their best, to some players means the coach doesn't like me and i am getting picked on. That's when attitude and character start showing through. Life lessons are getting lost in sports, sad.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

What’s wrong with holding kids accountable and demanding near perfection? You think coach persin or barrick had the success they did by being nice? It’s the whole attitude of the township that needs to change if you ask me. Sounds like they are content with being less than average and they are passing it on to the kids already. That’s a shame. Doesn’t sound like even coach K could turn that community around. Last I checked Huntington wasn’t a hot bed for talent in Ross county. To win games they have to be disciplined and do certain things very very well. Sounds like they better can the current coach and call the charmin bears to come in a coach. Soft.

Return to “Boys Basketball”