Jackson vs Logan Elm...Sectional Final

KRS
JV Team

Re: Jackson vs Logan Elm...Sectional Final

Post by KRS »

Both should be solid the next few years. Best of luck to the Braves, I like there chances in the next round. They are undersized and have match up problems but they also create match up problems for the opposing team. On a side note, #4 Isaac Ward is 5 away from a thousand, quite the accomplishment for a junior.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

KRS wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm Both should be solid the next few years. Best of luck to the Braves, I like there chances in the next round. They are undersized and have match up problems but they also create match up problems for the opposing team. On a side note, #4 Isaac Ward is 5 away from a thousand, quite the accomplishment for a junior.
He’s impressive

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Yes, there were some nice players throughout the week and great games. Was told this was the last year for the D2 sectionals to be held at SE. I think it is a great atmosphere for the tourney and will miss it.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

KRS wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:56 pm Yes, there were some nice players throughout the week and great games. Was told this was the last year for the D2 sectionals to be held at SE. I think it is a great atmosphere for the tourney and will miss it.
KRS is this the beginning of the end for sectionals being played at centrally located sites - moving toward the team with the best records hosting the first round games etc? I hope not ... I think I would have withdrawls only seeing 1 game a night LOL

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

I don't think so. Just some changes taking place and was told we were not going to be hosting after this year. Hopefully they change their mind, I enjoy the setup .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

KRS wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:03 pm I don't think so. Just some changes taking place and was told we were not going to be hosting after this year. Hopefully they change their mind, I enjoy the setup .
... I kid about I seemingly only go to gyms that are an hours drive from Logan BUT the trip to SEHS is literally 1 hour on the nose LOL - not a horrible drive really ...

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm Logan Elm played Washington twice as well so...

Jackson was a legit 2 seed. They were 19-3 in the regular season and beat the 4,5 and 6 seeds.

Logan Elm probably should have been seeded ahead of Athens but that’s another story.
And yet, here they both are in the Convo playing in the District semis. What's the story?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

KRS wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:56 pm Yes, there were some nice players throughout the week and great games. Was told this was the last year for the D2 sectionals to be held at SE. I think it is a great atmosphere for the tourney and will miss it.
Dang. It really is a great atmosphere. Can hold large crowds and has multiple entrances, including a separate one for teams and plenty of locker rooms.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:10 pm
KRS wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:03 pm I don't think so. Just some changes taking place and was told we were not going to be hosting after this year. Hopefully they change their mind, I enjoy the setup .
... I kid about I seemingly only go to gyms that are an hours drive from Logan BUT the trip to SEHS is literally 1 hour on the nose LOL - not a horrible drive really ...
I agree it is a really easy trip for most teams. I hope once the the dust settles they reconsider and continue holding the games- I have watched some great teams and players over the years in these sectionals and think the kids enjoy the experience. The Dante Jackson teams, The Chillicothe years, Kretzer at Waverly were some of the best high school games as far as atmosphere is concerned I have witnessed. Would hate to see it go.
Last edited by KRS on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:19 pm
Dang. It really is a great atmosphere. Can hold large crowds and has multiple entrances, including a separate one for teams and plenty of locker rooms.
It is a great set up and holding tourneys was taken into consideration when building the gym. Hopefully they reconsider.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

KRS wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:10 pm
I agree it is really easy trip for most teams. I hope once the the dust settles they reconsider and continue holding the games- I have watched some great teams and players over the years in these sectionals and think the kids enjoy the experience. The Dante Jackson teams, The Chillicothe years, Kretzer at Waverly were some of the best high school games as far as atmosphere is concerned I have witnessed. Would hate to see it go.
...agreed KRS ... as I have posted before I usually just stay put for the sectional season here in Logan BUT with the super sectional set up this season I took to the road to travel to SE to see some of the better teams play along with heading for Jackson one night, and stayed in Logan for one night as well ... the folks at SE were great ! very well run site ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 pmI usually just stay put for the sectional season here in Logan BUT with the super sectional set up this season I took to the road to travel to SE to see some of the better teams play
I guess Warren, Athens, Sheridan, FU are just chump change to Floyd now? :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 pmI usually just stay put for the sectional season here in Logan BUT with the super sectional set up this season I took to the road to travel to SE to see some of the better teams play
I guess Warren, Athens, Sheridan, FU are just chump change to Floyd now? :mrgreen:
... had Logan had 2 games on either one of the nights I would have stayed in Logan ... although I didn't want to jinx Coach Maddox and the Warren team - I had seen them 3 times before they beat Logan and they had lost each time - Coach told me he didn't want me coming to the sectionals - he was kidding BUT I didn't want THAT held over pfloyd's head LOL ... I text him congratulations from SE as LucasDavenport and I listened to the end of the OT on WMOA streaming broadcast after the U vs Waverly game ... told Coach, pfloyd wasn't staying away from the Convo ! LOL

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Is this due a decision by the school or the district? Will they still have D2 girls district games?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Most of the state has moved to sectionals being at the higher seed. I'm not sure if this is a prelude to that or not. Southeastern has an amazing facility and always does a great job of hosting these games. The crew there needs to be commended for what they've done for our district over the last 15 or 16 years. I hope the D2 girls district tournament will continue to be there.

Pete_Bell
Freshman Team

Post by Pete_Bell »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:34 am
scott1297 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:26 am
toast wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:05 am 28-31 from the line. That's darn near unbelievable! That's got to be some kind of a record.

How was Logan Elm from the line during the regular season?
wow that's alot of free throws was Jackson fouling that much darn that just seems like way too many in a game I wonder how many attempts Jackson had ?
Jackson was 6/12, didn’t shoot them well. I think the fouls in the 2nd half was around 11-3 and we fouled a few more on purpose. We upped the pressure late in the 3rd but fouled too much doing it.
I believe the final number in the second half on fouls called was 18-3, it was 12-3 when Jackson began to foul. Hats off to Logan Elm, They are a scary team when they are shooting it well, not many teams put 5 guys on the floor that handle the ball and shoot the way they do.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

bman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:24 am
Most of the state has moved to sectionals being at the higher seed. I'm not sure if this is a prelude to that or not. Southeastern has an amazing facility and always does a great job of hosting these games. The crew there needs to be commended for what they've done for our district over the last 15 or 16 years. I hope the D2 girls district tournament will continue to be there.
So even sectional championship games would be held at the higher seeds own gym? Or did I misunderstand that?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 am
So even sectional championship games would be held at the higher seeds own gym? Or did I misunderstand that?
Yeah

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 am

Yeah
Gotcha. I understand the reasoning. But I don't like it overall for the sake of the tourny. I like the idea of playing on a neutral floor, plus some gyms just simply aren't big enough to hold some of these games. Just look at the Unioto and Waverly game this past Saturday, that game would have been played at Unioto and no way their gym holds that crowd.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am absolutely devastated about this loss. I was looking forward to watching a Fairfield Union/Jackson match-up. Just goes to show you, the DII Southeast sectionals are crazy and I would put them up against any other sectionals in the state.

Return to “Boys Basketball”