Chillicothe Cavaliers

bvmv4life
All Conference

Re: Chillicothe Cavaliers

Post by bvmv4life »

Actually Joe B coached the Cavs to a regional loss to Canton McKinley the year I graduated in `93... there are many great points being discussed. The kids at Chillicothe don't need a Bobby Knight type of coach, more like a coach like Thad Matta(a player's coach) more like what Coach Kellough was... Coach Kellough did have discipline, but he also knew what kind of kid went to Chillicothe and their different backgrounds family wise and that made him super successful! This IMO will be a very important off season especially with the impending levy and the fact that Chillicothe might not have Freshman sports.. that alone could make parents decide on transferring their kids...

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

When cuppett was coach there were only class AAA, AA , and A. Chillicothe was AAA , which is equivalent to D-1

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Bronc21... without question Chilli had a great coach in Tom Cuppett..I also think Joe Stewart was a good coach..I don't think anyone can argue with a record of 10-0 in the district the last 5 times Kellough went..I think that would qualify him as a great coach only because it has been done one other time and that was in the 1960's by Portsmouth..5 district championships in 6 years... that is pretty effective.. Chilli has probably(only because of the chances) seen a once in a lifetime experience when Kellough was here...they'll be talking to their grandchildren about it...5 in 6 years and a State Championship..MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE!!! Maybe Athens can do it with all their young kids..we"ll see...

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

So what's the latest with the school levy in the balance? Will we have another coaching change? or is Meister's teaching job safe?

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

Last edited by wrestlefan1 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

wrestlefan1 wrote:He was hired through the vocational school to teach leader in me for Chillicothe . He has nothing to worry about because he is on a different type if employment. Teachers can't bump into his job if we get cut . Pretty convenient for him. Very unfortunate for the teachers that have been in the system for awhile. He is safe with a yr in the system
Some of us have heard different from some educators at Chillicothe..if levy fails the leader in me position would be cut..levy pasess his job would be safe.....nonetheless without Freshman sports at Chillicothe you could see some junior high kids transfer....I would hate to see the levy fail for the future of the kids education,sports is on the back burner!

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

The leader in me position is paid by the vocational school. The only money he gets from Chillicothe schools is the coaching salary. I am 100 percent sure of this. My job would be gone if the levy fails and I have looked unto bumping possibilities and I can not bump into that position.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

According to the chillicothe board meeting, if the levy passes both leadership teachers at the hs stay but if it fails both jobs are going to be eliminated. So meister will not know his fate until the day of the vote.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

According to the chillicothe board meeting, if the levy passes both leadership teachers at the hs stay but if it fails both jobs are going to be eliminated. So meister will not know his fate until the day of the vote.

Freshman sports cuts were taken off of the table. There will be freshman sports at chilli

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

No fresh sports would have been a mass exodus again like the spring they did away with track and baseball and softball

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Anybody know how the basketball gates were for the season? I was told that basketball gates carried the minor sports because they made tons of gate money when Kellough was there. I went to a couple of Chilli games this year and it was empty.
I am sure the overall budget has taken a hit without that money. Another reason why they might eventually do away with freshman sports. I mean have the freshman compete up at the reserve level. Last year(with Kellough) the gym was packed, probably 700-800 for home games or more. There was maybe 200 there when I saw them play this year. That is quite a hit... Who's to blame?? I don't know if I have ever seen anything like it!!

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

Jumphigh. I don't fount you but I woonder why. He is paid through the vocational school. Why does our levy have anything ti do with the vocational school?

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

It has to do with the adm money. Although chillicothe does not have to pay for the salary of the teacher they do not recieve that state funding for that student for that period. It breaks down to about 500 per student per class period. If there were 100 kids in the leadership class the vocational school would receive $50,000. The logic behind cutting the teacher and the program from my understanding is this. If the leadership program was cut those freshman would be taking classes taught by chillicothe teachers which means that chillicothe would receive that 50 instead of the vocational school.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Both wrestlefan and jumphigh have great points.....and honestly from talking to a lot of people from the community, this levy is gonna fail big time...I will hate to see that cause IMO there will be a mass exodus regardless of Freshman sports being cut out or not....I have three kids who are students at Chillicothe and without this levy passing its gonna be hard for me keep my kids there....I graduated in`93 and bleed blue and white...but if education and sports take a hit I gotta do what's best for my children.

Been B&B...the fan base at Chillicothe is the weirdest..the gates IMO took a huge hit. The Hat hasn't been that empty in 7 years... and at the district game vs Athens Chillicothe had no fans except the ones who been there all year...This basketball off season will be a very important one..stay tuned is all I have to say.....

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

I don't think the levy will pass and that is very sad for our school district. Will they find Meister another job if they really cut his position? I'm sure these cards had to be put on the table prior to him being hired????

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Feel sorry for Meister.. he couldn't have seen this coming.. he's probably a nice guy but I think the administration potentially blind-sided him. Do I think he is a good coach? we got to understand he took the place of a guy who won over 400 games and he has won probably less than 75 in seven seasons.. no way he is going to match up.. he just needs to survive.. Kellough is gone for good and that is Chilli's loss but that wasn't Meister's fault. If Kellough does decide to come back at another school, it will be a mass movement into that school district.. All the parents hoping for state honors and potentially free college... He has sent quite a few... Thoughts??

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Not a snowball chance in hell this levy passes. They will have to cut some sports to wake up the citizens of chilli. My senior year (05) we couldnt get the levy passed and then they cut our senior spring sports and it passed. Sad that all seniors had no spring sports but thats what it is going to take.

Go CAVS

AdamSchefter
Waterboy

Post by AdamSchefter »

Been hearing Coach K will be on the sidelines next year that is hear say but from some pretty good sources, and if that does happen get ready to see the athletes follow him as you pointed out he has quite the resume of sending players to colleges.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

As stated before I respect what Coach K did for us...but we were loaded with talent those years and I feel the last two he coached we lacked discipline and underachieved. It was time in my opinion. He had a great run...but it appeared to be time....If it was a personality conflict with one person...where was his real support????

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

I agree...Kellough raised the expectations for Chilli fans.. they expect to win the district every year now.. I don't see how they underachieved making it to the sweet 16 his last two years with only two starters back both years..Chilli fans are tough to please.. a state championship and 5 districts in six years and still critical.. probably criticism from people who either haven't sat on a varsity bench or never played at all...well, if it was time hope you like the results...Tennessee football fans didn't like their coach a few years back either..got rid of him..how's that working out for them now... no BCS bowls since he left.. Lot's of luck Cavs...

Return to “Boys Basketball”