Gallia Academys top five Basketball players of all time

jottings
SEOPS H

Milhoan played in 50s

Post by jottings »

John Milhoan played only two years on the varsity, but still holds most GAHS cage records set in 1954-55 and 1955-56. Chris Ellcessor played in the early 1980s, not 1936.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Jottings, it was a joke to E.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

my list of players that I've seen play at GA!!!

1. Larry Mitchell
2. Ron Ferguson
3. Gil Price
4. Jim Noe
5. Terry Wall
6. Brent Johnson
7. Jim Niday
8. Jamie Lane
9. Chris Ellcessor
10. BIG John Armstrong
11. Tony Moore
12. Gary Harrison
13. Chad Barnes
14. Terry Qualls
15. Dave Rucker

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

No one has mentioned Tom Prose yet.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Tom Prose !!! Was a good player !!!But in my eye he was one hell of a football player!!! ;-) :arrow:

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

A few others would be, Lynn Sheets, Dan Dressel, Jason Thomas. Wasnt Topper Orr pretty good?

love the blue
Waterboy

Post by love the blue »

how about pistol pete anderson 1966 graduate. 3 year starter in basketball. i believe pete and phil king are the only athletes in school history to win the team MVP in basketball, football and baseball. too bad phil shared the award in football and basketball. i know pete scored 37 points his senior year to set a new gym record which was later broken by larry mitchell a couple years later

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i think both big and phil were league mvp`s but were co mvp`s of the team come on now :roll:

love the blue
Waterboy

Post by love the blue »

phil king was not league mvp, but big john was. that is pretty comical that big shared team mvp. but thats what happens at gahs

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Pete Anderson could still play when he was 50 something. How about a all spruce street team. Elcessor,P. King, Outlaw Beach, Cooper. Now that is old school pick up ball

Offsides
Waterboy

GAHS best players

Post by Offsides »

I can tell by these posts that most of you who have responded are all under the age of 50, or even under 45. All of the names I've seen mentioned on here were outstanding players, but to do justice you'd have to go all the way back to the days of the late John E. Halliday in the 1920s. Although I never saw him play I have read of his athletic exploits at GAHS and later at Ohio Wesleyan University. The two greatest players that I have seen at GAHS would be John Milhoan and Tommy Spencer. They were incredible in every game. All of these other guys were no doubt great and certainly worthy of mention, so I will not pick a top five because there have been just too many that could be in this elite group.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

is that when they played in the cafeteria heck three steps you were on the other side of the gym. mr milhoan best foul shooter i have ever seen. gary ,phil and big could handle the rock and score. they could create there own shot. E could shoot from anywhere. heard only stories of pete anderson,larry mitchell. but have never heard tommy`s name except for baseball.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

P King was a good player!!!
Last edited by BBallin fool on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

love the blue
Waterboy

Post by love the blue »

91blue14
i think the blue has played in the current gym since about 1961 or so.
im with you about hearing tommy spencer alot in baseball conversations and not too many basketball ones. one thing is for sure about tommy huber spencer, he was 1 heck of an athlete

chillman
Waterboy

Post by chillman »

only watched gallia play a few times over the years. BUT, saw them play a Portsmouth team that was , unbeaten i think, in the early 80's disctrict? at Ironton. Phil King was a one man show and they nearly won because of him. Did he play in College?

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

love the blue, imo if more people considered baseball there would be alot of of good ones. basically around here in junior high baseball is over until 9th grade. i know legion ball is around but imo they are glorified all star teams. what has the so called hero of sports accomplished a couple at bats. he couldnt consitently play at that level and has done nothing in my opinion for this community or per say given back to it.

but back to subject i still roll with BIG, MILHOAN,PHIL,GARY,PISTOL BY WORD OF MOUTH, E AS MY 6TH MAN, BARNES, QUALLS, jason thomas could ball too along with todd miller could compliment any player.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I remember Larry Snowden being a good all around athlete. I think he played point guard on the team that had Noe, Price, and Rod Fergfuson.

FrankieG
Freshman Team

Post by FrankieG »

I believe I played against an elsissor in the year 1984 along with a birgdahl boy. I don't know if it is the same boy or not.
we won that sectional tournament against them on a buzzer beater.
Don't know if these are the boys or not it has been twenty some odd years. My mind fails me every now&then. :shock:

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

LARRYG chris elcessor and bergdoll spelling might be off. berg had a sister who could ball. i have set down with coach and we have talked about the past and to me E FOR 3 was the most interesting, he would just take a basketball and play games with himself and made himself a player,he plays a better freddy kruger ;-)

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Bassmaster!!! Right to this day I can hear Larry Snowdens mom in the football stands and bball gym yelling GO LARRY!!! LOL We could hear her in the huddle on the football field!!! GO LARRY!!! LOL :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”