South Webster 2007-2008

bigbird
Waterboy

Post by bigbird »

webstertown maybe you should suit up for the next game. it's not the players that need to leave its fans like you

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

WILL IF U REALLY KNEW HOW THINGS WORKed U WOULD KNOW THAT U DONT HAVE TO SET OUT A YEAR IF UR FAMILY MOVES. An if the partents are not happy an the kids are not happy they will. All u have to do is just look around this area at that ones that has moved from school to school, plus if u leave in JR it dont COUNT against u for High School.

U have picked out all the leading scores, OK they all was very good player, BUT it takes more than one person to make a TEAM. To move the the ball around to get the shooter open so they can score. If that wasnt the case u could play servel defenses to stop just one shooter. Please DONT get on here an cut the KIDS for trying there best. Atleast u can go watch if u want to if not STAY AT HOME! It would be better for the KIDS that are playing. Cause the support that you're giving is not helping at all. That is ALL that i have to say on this matter!! Take it for What its worth an hopefull WEBSTERTOWN U will get the whole picture. This is a down year no real stand out ball player just a bunch of High School kids that is trying there BEST with a NEW HEAD COACH! Give them a chance to come together!! To build a new area of BOYS Basketball in WEBSTER!! Go JEEPS!!!

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

I wasnt talking about the Jr.High kids I was talking about high school kids leaving. Its really funny how South Webster fans turn on each other really quick Im not hear to bash the Jeeps I am a Jeep im just asking others if they thought this was websters worst team and trust me Im sure others are thinkng the same thing its been a awhile when websters only won 1 game coming out of Christmas break. People saying the talent is coming is telling no lie its coming but its going to take some time for that talent to mature. Its not that our Jeeps suck its just that there isnt talent in the right places to win night in and night out.

Bigbird I need to leave for stating opinions?????? Asking others thoughts?????????? I couldnt suit up for the next game Im out of eligibilty along with my two sons who were once and still are proud Jeeps.

southernpride
Riding the Bench

Post by southernpride »

Webstertown,

I am sorry that this version of Jeeps basketball is not playing up to your lofty standards. I am sure when your boys played they were a more fitting example of Jeep basketball.

These kids don't need any more pressure put on them than they already have. They know what their record is and what expectations are for the team. Maybe you should try to keep your opinions to yourself when it involves these high school kids. You have succeeded in making yourself look like an ***.

I bet if you ask true fans of other schools, they would gladly trade a decade of sectional titles for one state title.

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

Honestly this is getting ridiculous when it comes to keeping my opinions to myself what is SEOPS for????CHATTING???? CYBERING????MUSIC??? VIDEOS????? ITS FOR EXPRESSING OPINIONS and others sharing theres

I am so sorry that I am using SEOPS as a place for expressing my opinions maybe we shouldnt say GO JEEPS anymore because thats expressing that we are Jeep fans..... You people are ridiculous when it comes to this thats why SEOPS should have a yearly payment plan!

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

Webstertown: your "expressing opinion" might have been better if you would have quietly asked the person you sit beside at the ballgames "could his be the worst team in school history?" or on a phone call asking the question in a more private manner. Maybe just discussing it with your sons at home or in the car driving to a basketball game might have been sufficent. But, you chose to ask this "question" or "opinion" in a public forum where the athletes and parents and coaching staff can and have read your "opinion" / "question".

You have your opinion. It doesn't sit well with others but that is OK. You know the old saying about opinions and !@#$%^. Everybody has one and sometimes they stink!

And to those who defended the honor of our Jeep athletes and staff.....thanks!!!!!! It doesn't matter how they rank in the polls, they are always #1 with those of us who love them. Go Jeeps!

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!
jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

[quote="jeep80"]I doubt highly that this team is the worst in history. And I've seen some teams that were not very good come through South Webster since 1975 when I started following them. Regardless, this is a transition with a new coach, and the fact that the kids get very little instruction in Junior High makes it worse. It's always been that way at South Webster. Just check out Wheelersburg. Do you think they have a band teacher coaching their kids in Junior High? Because that's what we had when I was in school.

Jeep80......Did you get cut from the Jr high team back when the band director coached? You seem to be pretty bitter about that topic. Just wondering because that isn't the first time you have brought that up.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
laidback
Waterboy

Post by laidback »

Webstertown- It seems to me as though you have a hidden interest in the Jr. High basketball team. Apparently you were not hired by the school, have a relative that is not getting much playing time, or honestly have no idea what it takes to coach a team. I can assure you that the Jr. High coach who supposedly has never played basketball is working very hard with the kids to develop them into great players. I am also positive that the kids are working just as hard. I know that the 8th grade Jr. High record is 2-3. Two of the losses were by one point and the other loss at Minford was by 6. So I guess for a guy that has no idea what he is doing the team is responding pretty well. The 8th grade team did lose to Valley by one point and that is a significant improvement from the previous year. Finally, if you want a winning program stop tearing the team apart on the internet and allow the kids to have fun playing a game. Coming from another coach, I will admit that all coaches have flaws. However, I honestly believe that if the parents would spend the time working with their kids to get better instead of criticizing the coach on the internet (b/c these types of parents never confront anyone to their face) that their kids would eventually get the playing time that they think they deserve. A little hard work goes a long way.

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

aside from all of these disputes, does anyone else think that the jeeps are improving each and every game? i have been to every one of the games so far, and in my eyes, and after the oak hill game, i realized that these boys are putting up a better fight each game they play...i believe that ever since the northwest game (which is probably the best we've played this year) the jeeps have gained tremendous confidence in their play, and are going into every game looking to compete...we have more players looking to penetrate to find a way to score, or get their teammates open, more players being unselfish, and less arguments between players...the team is obviously playing better as a whole, and with time, we should be able to stay close with other teams, and hopefully pull out a few wins :) i know this is what all of the jeep faithful were hoping for, i was just wondering if anyone else was seeing this as i was...

GO JEEPS! :-D

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

The Jeeps are getting better ever game they are getting expereince and you can tell from some of the looks in there eyes. I can tell most from Conner Scott he seems to be maturing fast which is what this team needs.

Back to the junior-high matter I dont have a relative on the team I have neighbors and both of there sons get great minutes and Im not complaining about mintues. I am complaining about how the coach asks the ref for a timeout when the other team is dribbling the ball up the court (walking actually) how he sits down and catches himself wathcing the game before the asst. starts coaching. How he sits his better players on the bench when they are deep into the fourth quarter and puts them in when they are behind 10 with a minute to go. In all honesty I want the boys to have a great coach at that age its the most important age when growing up as a basetball player its when your athletic ability really starts to show, you grow and mature so much. Its when your down six with 30 seconds to go you have a good shot at a steals and good consistant 3 point shooters can bring you back. Its where players seperate themselves from the rest talent wise as to whom wants to work the hardest. Our boys arent getting this at all. I really thought webster did right when Jason Wright a couple years back took the job and he left then they went to Rick Bowman. Those were two guys who demanded respect from there players and got the best out of them every night. And belive me on this my wife lets me know each and every night about it. Im sorry for bashing the Jr.High coaches but they arent very good and those who say they are then thats great.

This is a public debate website thats why nobody has your name as you nickname and no one lets there identity go so you can tell emotions and see how others respond. When other poeple get on our topics and bash our Jeeps and say we are overated thats there opinion and we cant do anything about it but say hey bud dont say that on here they have every right that is what this site is for

Good Luck Jeeps suprise the Pirates Tuesday

my-right3
Waterboy

Post by my-right3 »

color=red]
I can assure you that the Jr. High coach who supposedly has never played basketball is working very hard with the kids to develop them into great players. I am also positive that the kids are working just as hard.
[/color]

Laidback-I have no doubt that the coach is trying his best-I'm surely not faulting him for anything, but this is Jr. High, not the NBA-lets give all the kids a chance to prove themselves in a game, just as they do in practice.

How will the coach ever know who can play while they sit on a bench?

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Jeep80......Did you get cut from the Jr high team back when the band director coached? You seem to be pretty bitter about that topic. Just wondering because that isn't the first time you have brought that up.

:lol:
No. I didn't play basketball in Junior High. Only one year my Sophomore year. I was a baseball nut.
I bring it up to prove a point. If a school is serious about building a solid basketball program, you have to have solid basketball people involved at the biddy ball level on through the high school level.
Junior high is the last step before high school and there needs to be someone in place with real basketball knowledge who is in contact with the high school coach and is running the same system so the kids can be ready when they get to high school.
Not only does it require the school's participation, but requires the community to get involved volunteering at each level.

When I was at Boyd county, back when Coach Zornes was the head coach, I got a chance to see how a program should be run. He came in and told the Jr. High coaches what defense they would run and what offenses they would run so they would be ready when he got them.
They went to the sweet 16 several times when I lived over there. He had a great system in place.

That's what it takes to win, and when a band teacher is the Jr. High coach, it shows that either the school's top priority is not in building a great basketball program (which is O.K. Education is their first priority) or there were not enough people who wanted to spend time helping the team build a program.

It's my own pet peeve and I only bring it up because of the hunger and passion of the fans for 3 years when the program was one of the top programs in the state. South Webster fans have dreamed of that for decades. I know I had. And I didn't want it to just stop after a state title. I want it to continue. And I hoped the shool and community would want the same.

It's a personal thing on my part. And regardless, I will always make the 1200 mile trip north to see my Jeeps win or loss. In fact, I'll be there this weekend.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Hey Jeep80, see ya at the girl's game next week.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

jeep80......Ever since I can remember the community has always been involved; and not only with the athletics. Ever since I can remember the teams have always been coached with communication from top to bottom(varsity coach>jr high coach). That is just the way it works. The hunger and passion that you speak of has always been there and will always be there. Suprisingly, that is very evident this year. Nice turn outs to home and away games. Last but not least, there were some pretty solid teams that came out of Keslar jr high era. So everything that you mentioned to make a successful program has always and is still in place. You just have to keep in mind the limited number of people we have. South Webster never has rebuilding years. We dont have the luxury of having rebuilding years. We dont have the population for that luxury. South Webster has always worked with and competed with the hand it has been given.

The thing with South Webster basketball that people are forgetting is that we are known for our competiveness. Who ever we play that night knows that they are in for a fight. We may not win, but the other teams always realize that they had to earn that win. That is how I judge my Jeeps. Do they go in scrap night in and night out and leave it on the floor. As soon as we start determining the success of our programs by W's and L's, we lose sight of the tradition that has always been. Being competitive is our tradition. Knowing that even if we dont win the other team is going to know that they had to fight for that win. If we continue to go down this path of judging our teams by W's and L's, we have already let our kids down.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
Pressbreaker
Waterboy

Post by Pressbreaker »

I believe Phil Jackson just couldn't afford to buy out his contract and Thad Matta decided he just has too much young talent to leave OSU and take Websters junior high job. Maybe we will get Pat Riley next year since the Heat seem to be struggling... :-D

I'm kidding. But does anyone know who else even wanted to coach our junior high team??? I don't know, but my guess is that we just didn't have many "qualified" candidates. I think as long as the coaches are dependable, hard-working, good people Webster basketball will be just fine. Anyway...as far back as I can remember Valley and Minford have been the dominant JH teams, but always seem to finish middle of the pack in the SOC. The main thing is that our coaches are incorporating coach Reese's system and style.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Pressbreaker wrote:JH teams, but always seem to finish middle of the pack in the SOC. The main thing is that our coaches are incorporating coach Reese's system and style.

That's good to hear. And good point about some other schools that do have good JH programs, but fall short in High School.
I'll take Matta if he becomes available!

Good post jeepmadness. I wasn't saying the community didn't get involved, and I love Keslar, but he was a musician. I would have thought they could have found someone who specialized in basketball. I didn't see all the communication you speak of from top to bottom, but I'll take your word for it. You may be closer to the situation than me. It seemed hap hazard to me. I played one year and didn't see that interaction with the Varsity coach and the JV coach. Of course at that time I didn't know how an organization like a high school program worked. Later in life I saw things at successful programs I didn't remember seeing at Webster. I've been gone a long time from the area and just assumed things were the same until a few years ago when Kreisher came in. I may have been ignorant of the whole situation. I hope you are right!
What did used to frustrate me was the kids from Vernon wouldn't always play when they got to high school. If they could have been combined with the Webster junior high team they could have been better. I don't know why, but the Vernon kids dropped out of sports after they moved up to high school.

Anyway, I love my old school, teachers, coaches, classmates, and win or lose I will always be a Jeep first before anything else!!!

I have noticed by just looking at scores that the boys are improving. I think when tournament times comes around, they could be a team that sneeks up on someone if they are not careful. Div IV basketball is pretty weak in Southeast Ohio.

Hope to see everyone out there Saturday night! Look me up Monday night digger. Most peple know who I am. Just look for the Fenton clan. I'll most likely be with them!

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

In a perfect world it would be nice if you could just hire a basketball coach and staff just for the wins. But, we hire teachers! We hire individuals who are going to teach our children education first, athletics second. We don't have the luxury of a college program where you can just hire a coach. Ed Keslar was happy to take the Jr Hi program and do what he could. He wasn't ignorant of the sport.

That said, we get teacher's who are willing to put in the time to help coach. They are not getting rich doing this. They don't make nearly what they deserve for the time away from home. They too win or lose, just like the boys.

In a perfect world, the head coach would have time to devote to an entire program. From the biddy league to the varsity. But again, we have good hearted volunteers who try to teach the fundamentals as best as possible with some instruction from the head coach. These coaches deserve some life too. This isn't any different now than when Brett Roberts was the coach and started the biddy program. The coaches help as much as possible at all levels. They give almost all their free time to the game. They spend summers at camp. McGraw ball. And in the same respect, these same kids spend all their time playing some sport. Basketball, soccer, track, baseball.

We are a small community with limited staff, resources, and people. I think we do a great job making sure the school, it's staff, and the players get what they need. We may be small, but we have HUGE hearts! There really is something special about being a Jeep! And it shows in our kids. They have big hearts. They play with big hearts!

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!
BIG POPPA
Freshman Team

Post by BIG POPPA »

Jeep 80 as always it was good to sit and talk bball with you. As long as the boys continue to play hard you never know what will happen come tourney time. the way i see they had a good jr. high coach last year and let him go. He coached for two years and the kids that played for him seem to be some of the better players on the floor (Loop, Queen, Scott to name a few)

Return to “Boys Basketball”