Best point guard in the area

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Zvillers...i am a Cedric Harris fan! i like the way he plays the game, and i agree he is a steal at that school. You'd be hard pressed to find me 4 or 5 other PG's in the state that i'd take over him. I just think as far as talent/production that humpty is on his own level in this area, but dont take that as a knock on Ced b/c i liked him alot last year and cant wait to see how much better he's gotten this year.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Peebles Blake Justice is scoring around 26 ppg as a freshman...and Craig Unger from North Adams is scoring around 22 ppg as a junior...Those too have to be in the top ten.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Blake and Unger may be nice players, but they aren't playing the same competition as Hitchens and Harris.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Tar Heel Fan

Blake Justice doesn't play point guard for Peebles. He is more of a # 2 or # 3 player. Nathan Stephens and Andrew Seaman play the point for the Indians. Blake is probably the best passer of the basketball however on this team.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Dshanton3 ...

I have no problem with it. Hitchens had a heckuva junior season, and Chilli beat us twice with him running the show. Regardless of what happens Jan. 25 (and at the DOC), I think you'll see that Ced has really raised his play. And truly, I think that some of the credit for that is due to where Hitchens has set the bar.

O.R. prep ...

"A pure team from the East." What does that mean? I see little difference between the two areas, if any at all. Also, since we play the vast majority of our games against SE district teams, I think it's fair to lump us into this discussion.

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

Humpty...hands down. Is Harris getting any looks or offers yet?

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Hitchens and Kellough without a doubt.... Piketon's freshmen Evan Legg is very impressive in doing what a true "non-scoring" point guard does. Distrubute the ball, doesn't get too many turnovers, makes sound decisions, and plays good defense.

Army
S

Post by Army »

1. Humpty from the Chillicothe CAVS (SEOAL) :!: :-D

2. Kellough from the Chillicothe Huntington-Ross Huntsmen (SVC) :!: :-D

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Army wrote:1. Humpty from the Chillicothe CAVS (SEOAL) :!: :-D

2. Kellough from the Chillicothe Huntington-Ross Huntsmen (SVC) :!: :-D

I agree Army.

Does Hitchens still hug the refs before each game?

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

bookem13 ...

Ced's already signed with Wheeling Jesuit. There are many who believe he should have waited, but he's comfortable with his choice.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Zanes-Vegas: When it comes to high school hoops Z-ville is known as the Beast in the east. Around the state you talk about great basketball traditions in the eastern part of the state. Everybody will say Z-ville hands down. I know that they play in a league in the southeast.I have always just considered them a power from that part of the state.

Now if you want to throw Z-ville in the mix re-the best point guard in this part of the state then you must throw :Edwin Young/ Travis Young/Andre Hodge all witch would be up there with the likes of Hitchens/Tubbs/ andWagonger.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

I know I have brought up some great point guards from the past. But these are the only ones who can really come close to the type of point guard that Humpty really is. The only other names from the past 15to 20 years you could compare with him is Dustin Pfeifer or the Copaz kid from North Adams that lead them to a state tourney apperance. But even those Two could not hold on with the likes of Humpty. Again Let's face It. Right now he is the best point guard talent the southeast has seen (and I did say southeast) in a long time.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

[quote="Zanes-Vegas"]Dshanton3 ...

I have no problem with it. Hitchens had a heckuva junior season, and Chilli beat us twice with him running the show. Regardless of what happens Jan. 25 (and at the DOC), I think you'll see that Ced has really raised his play. And truly, I think that some of the credit for that is due to where Hitchens has set the bar.

Zanes-Vegas,

I am glad to see that Ced has raised his play. I like his quickness and handle. However, you will see two things. 1) Humpty has raised his game another level (stronger and hitting the jumper better) and 2) Caleb Knights might be the best underrated point guard around.

Yes, Hump handles the ball a good piece of the time, but Caleb sets the table quite often and defensively, he is as good as it gets with his feet and knowledge of man-to-man. We do not drop off when Caleb handles the rock. Against Man-to-Man, we can run Hump off baseline screens or against Zone, run him down on the baseline.

It is great to have 2 excellent ball handlers on the squad.

I look forward to the matchup, but all of us true B-Ball fans, now the individual match-ups don't win games. Humpty lit up North College Hill for 24 or 25 (18 in the first) and 5 to 6 dimes. Damon Butler (NCH) is recognized as one of the top 5 points in the State. He also got his, but the Cavs won the game. In the end, our defense in the 4th (and offensive execution won out).

GO CAVS!!!

Also, Kellough is a very good player with the Huntsmen. In fact he will be a two time SVC player of the year. I am not sure I mention him with Hump or Harris. He is a notch or two below them.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

bucknut 23 wrote:Tar Heel Fan

Blake Justice doesn't play point guard for Peebles. He is more of a # 2 or # 3 player. Nathan Stephens and Andrew Seaman play the point for the Indians. Blake is probably the best passer of the basketball however on this team.

Unger is a 2 guard as well even though he does bring the ball up quite a bit especially against pressure. Sam Louden and Tyler Jimison are the 2 primary 1's for North Adams.

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

point guard

Post by tropicalbreeze »

If Zanesville's part of the equation, C. Harris and Hitchens are two totally different type of guards even when they both play the 1 position. Hitchens is a better scorer, but C. Harris is the better quarterback to run the show. Both are very important to their teams and how each play the night in Zanes will probably determine which team wins. Last year I felt Ced was a little heisitant in the two games with Chilli and that hurt Zanes getting into their offensive sets at points in the game. If that happens this year, the results may be the same. With Chillicothe's defensive pressure, handling the ball and getting good shots will be the key. Again, last year there were 3 and 4 minute periods in the game where Zanes really struggled to get shots. Hitchens will score, he's got the scorer's mentality, but he sometimes plays out of control (still) and try's to be too cute or do too much. He'll need to play under control and make the good crisp passes to create for his team (as he did with NCH)
As far as being the best over the last 15 or 20 years, Edwin and Travis Young both are still head and shoulders above Hitchens and Kellough and C. Harris. Edwin was a 4 year starter at Dayton and Travis was a 4 year starter at Marshall and Freshman of the year in the MAC. Both have a State Championship and Travis has a state Runner Up Trophy. Both could score when needed and both could create when needed, plus great defensively!

OSU BUCKS FAN
Freshman Team

Post by OSU BUCKS FAN »

hitchens from chilli hands down ....then kellough from huntington!!

casebolt101
Waterboy

Post by casebolt101 »

Be real we know without a doubt Humpty is the best true point guard...hands down

Return to “Boys Basketball”