District Appearances Since 1990?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

trojan dave,
didn't portsmouth used to have a major holiday tournament? i remember back in the 90's i attended and the teams were cincinnati cape vs akron hoban and portsmouth played dayton dunbar in the semis. i can't remember who won but i remember dunbar and portsmouth going overtime and i believe dunbar won and then defeated cape. it was either late 80's or early 90's. a very worthwhile trip to see some very good basketball.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

drrabbit wrote:I will have to pull out a couple articles to review but in the late 50's, Portsmouth was playing at Clay as I recall and playing teams like Northwest and East for sectional titles. It would be interesting to see how the tournament was structured even earlier. Last night I looked up the some other things and it looks like they left the county format in the mid-1960's as Wheelersburg started seeing Ironton and Waverly in sectional play starting then. So Portsmouth playing at Rio in those later periods would be about right. But 1958-65 the Trojans were playing in the county sectional with just other county teams. And from what I could tell, there was no school in the county that could compete with them with any regularity. From what I read, Portsmouth not winning the sectional required a major upset during that time, even on the years when Portsmouth had a losing record.

I'm not sure where Portsmouth played in the mid to late 50's but Wheelersburg played Chillicothe in Athens in the tournament. If I'm not mistaken, I think Minford also played Ironton in the tourney during that same time period.

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.

Return to “Boys Basketball”