1/20 P-West H
1/23 Valley A
1/30 South Webster A
2/6 Minford H
2/7 Gallipolis H
2/10 Oak Hill H
2/13 Northwest A
2/20 Waverly H

Can't wait 4 this one. It will be a privlige 4 our kids to play the "Burg". Back in 2001 on our way to the state tourney, Belpre beat an outstanding, classy Wheelersburg team lead by Andrew Burleson in the District Finals. The kids playing varsity ball now were 3rd and 4th graders then but I bet most of them remember that game vividally. I sure do.

Best of Luck Pirates

sportsfan9572
Freshman Team

Re: Burg B-Ball 08-09 Season

Post by sportsfan9572 »

For whatever sports kids transfer for, they and their parents already know that they will be a starter or receive more play time than they would have at their old school and they do not care whose spot was taken but would be one of the first ones complaining after playing on that team for a couple of years in junior high and then having a new player transfer to "their" school in high school and take their spot.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

therepublican wrote:2008-2009 Burg Schedule

12/6 Chesapeake H
12/12 P-West A
12/13 Belpre @ Rio Grande
12/16 Valley H
12/19 South Webster H
12/27 Portsmouth A
12/30 Ironton A
1/3 Fed Hocking A
1/6 Minford A
1/9 Oak Hill A
1/13 Northwest H
1/16 Waverly A
1/20 P-West H
1/23 Valley A
1/30 South Webster A
2/6 Minford H
2/7 Gallipolis H
2/10 Oak Hill H
2/13 Northwest A
2/20 Waverly H

very interesting schedule. should be interesting to see how burg does this year with the loss of talent to graduation this past may. i look for the burg to make a decent run in the playoffs and maybe a return to the regionals

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

every player on last years team played at wheelersburg all through high school. Even more, all of them except Jenkins played together since 5th grade. There have been a couple of kids come in and play at Wheelersburg I know, but it isn't like there werent good players that lived in the burg. As far as politics in highschool basketball.. maybe some places. but not at the burg. not as far as the people who really matter. Most of the politics probably surface on here or that other site. Possibly around the town, but not where it matters the most. Hopefully this years team can have a good year. Stegman will score inside, but they will have to have somebody that can score outside. The system will produce good shots, burg needs to find kids that can make them. I think burg fans have been spoiled with great offensive talent the last 3 or 4 years, and are going to be a little dissapointed. That being said, I think burg can and will win games this year. As long as Barrick doesnt lose his patience with these young guys after coaching a team full of seniors last year, and a team full of juniors and seniors the year before.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Everybody gets transfers......yes, even my Portsmouth Trojans have been the beneficiary of a few through the years.......but we sure have lost more students than we have gained, that's for sure........

With that said, I respect Wheelersburg's athletic program........transfers or not, the Burg is the model program in all of SE Ohio........and not just in basketball, but their entire sports program.......and this is coming from a Portsmouth Trojan.......

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

ignert1, Drew WAS NOT held back his 7th grade year or any other year for that matter. In fact, he was one of the younger seniors last year. As far as Cam goes, I am not sure if he was held back or not. The bottom line; it is the parents decision to decide if they want their son or daughter to repeat a grade for sports, grades or maturity.

I do agree the new transfer rules will help some.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Well, I remind you all that Cam Millers parents went to Wheelersburg through highschool and graduated from there too...Cam was eventually going to end up back at the Burg...he has it in his blood..Cowgill just followed him...that isn't the Burg's fault.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

alabama mike wrote:ignert1, Drew WAS NOT held back his 7th grade year or any other year for that matter. In fact, he was one of the younger seniors last year. As far as Cam goes, I am not sure if he was held back or not. The bottom line; it is the parents decision to decide if they want their son or daughter to repeat a grade for sports, grades or maturity.

I do agree the new transfer rules will help some.

I never was one to agree with holding a kid back..mainly because i just wanted to get out as soon as possible :lol: ...but i have 3 friends from northwest hank leslie, kreig crabtree and chaise hall who were all held back their 8'th grade year and their team went from something like 2-12 to 12-2....so i must say it can really help a team out if the kids and parents decide it is the right thing to do, and all 3 of them are young enough that they all could have been held back a second time but now that they're in high school i highly doubt that they will... if you hold a kid back it should be in middle school because grades and college start to become to big of a factor in high school

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think that if you are held back in Junior High that you should not be allowed to play another year of any sport. You should only be allowed two years of Junior High and if you are held back, you sit out a year.

Now about the Burg. I think this will be Coach Barrick's toughest coaching job since he came to the Burg. He has already lost two players that he was counting on to play alot of minutes for him in Tyler Lang and Zaide Whitley. The only starter he has back from last years squad is Andy Stegman. If Aaron Hopper and Jordan Schankweiler come back out to play, they would contribute alot. I look for Brandon Schankweiler to play alot of minutes, if he plays.

I think they might take some lumps this this year, but everyone better be prepared for the next few years as the Burg's 8th grade team went undefeated last year as 7th graders and man are they tough. They have some decent size and they have some very quick guards.

This season will be intersting. Burg will open up the new gym against Chesapeake. Little history in this one as I think it was back in 1988 that the Burg opened up Chesapeake's new gym by hanging an "L" on them. Coach Persin was so ticked that it was the last time they played against each other in the regular up until last year. Could the peake return the favor? I guess we'll have to wait until 12-06-08.

chloe
Waterboy

Post by chloe »

I know this is not a junior high thread but, in response to the above post. Speaking about the 8th grade team at Wheelersburg last year. 4 of the boys were transfers from Minford. 2 of them were starters and the other 2 played more than their share.
Ummm..... Was the team suppose to be stacked for barrick for te upcoming years after a not so good year?? Makes a person wonder. When they transfered to Wheelersburg in the 7th grade. They didn't have to repeat that grade. They were told in order to make sure they were on the high school team they had to be enrolled in the school system from the 7th grade on.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

if a kids transfers to the burg for sports can you blame them. winning programs promote themselves. i am not a fan of open enrollment. i believe you should live where you go to school. a vested interest in the community where you go to school is important. if you think open enrollment causes problems here you should see the problems it creates in the bigger cities.

chloe
Waterboy

Post by chloe »

Yes, I can see why a student would want to go to wheelersburg to play sports but, if they would stay in the district where they live, there would be a lot more competition in that sport. It would build the program at that school where they come from where they would not have to leave that district.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

chloe wrote:I know this is not a junior high thread but, in response to the above post. Speaking about the 8th grade team at Wheelersburg last year. 4 of the boys were transfers from Minford. 2 of them were starters and the other 2 played more than their share.
Ummm..... Was the team suppose to be stacked for barrick for te upcoming years after a not so good year?? Makes a person wonder. When they transfered to Wheelersburg in the 7th grade. They didn't have to repeat that grade. They were told in order to make sure they were on the high school team they had to be enrolled in the school system from the 7th grade on.

Exactly, this is not a junior high thread so take it there, you have repeated yourself 3 to 4 times about transfers, I take it you have a son in the 8th grade at Burg that lost some playing time because of it..I understand your complaint, but it happens everywhere.. practice and desire to be better is what wins a kid a starting spot on a team in any sport in any school.I have been there and told my kids if ya want to start and show you deserve too you have to earn it and show it at every practice and work to get better and guess what they did, and I was very proud of my kids.. Now back to Burg High School b-ball for this year, they have had some tough losses with Lang and Whitley gone for the season, but if i know Barrick he will get the most out of his kids and they will compete and find a way to win ... Good luck Pirates on your up coming season...GO BURG!!!

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Post by u_kno_me »

I heard Tyler Lang is out is this true? If so who is going to take his place as a leader and bring what he brings to the game?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

didn't the burg have a kid a few yrs back that wanted to be held back in 7th grade and the burg refused. I think the kid went to another school was held back then came back to the burg as a 8th grader. Don't blame the burg for getting transfers look and see what the problem is at the school the kid transfered from. One thing to remember is the burgs academics aren't to bad. There are some burg kids that have parents that teach and live in other districts but choose to have their kids attend the burg and it has nothing to do with sports.

Return to “Boys Basketball”