SOC2 09-10 Scores and Standings

Who will win the SOC 2 in the 2009-2010 season?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Total votes: 0

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: SOC 2: Early Predictions? 2009-2010

Post by soccerfix »

all-time athlete wrote:
Northwest isn't going to beat Wheelersburg. No one in the league is going to be beat Wheelersburg. Plain and simple. Andy Stegman is the best player in the league.

im glad you're so confident....Andy is very gifted I wont take that away from him but his game is limited to the post only, where as Hank can go inside and out and hurt people on the drive

Are you guys forgetting about Kyle Ondera? He should have been the player of the year last year. And he has a ring!

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

soccerfix wrote:
all-time athlete wrote:
Northwest isn't going to beat Wheelersburg. No one in the league is going to be beat Wheelersburg. Plain and simple. Andy Stegman is the best player in the league.

im glad you're so confident....Andy is very gifted I wont take that away from him but his game is limited to the post only, where as Hank can go inside and out and hurt people on the drive

Are you guys forgetting about Kyle Ondera? He should have been the player of the year last year. And he has a ring!

Stegman is better than Ondera. In my opinion. Although they are two different players that's my opinion. Stegman is the best big man, Ondera is the best guard in the league Just because he has a ring doesn't make him the better player. He just had the better team last year.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

1fan1 wrote:SOC II is weak. Burg should win out. Leslie IS a very solid player with a lot of talent inside and out, defensively and offensively, so is probably the best all-around. But, numbers of athletes on the squad, goes to Burg. Speed and strength will win out in a weak league. What will they do with it?

Where are you from? Burg might win out but the SOC II has to be the most competitive this year than it has in a long time. Should I remind you that Oak Hill is the defending state champ. Northwest is stacked, Valley is back and Waverly will win their fair share. That's 5 competitive teams: bring your league on!

daluvofallsports
Waterboy

Post by daluvofallsports »

i see oak hill on top again this year with ondera, w. hale, slone, and returning will be d. cannon. oak hill has great bench players and the best coach in the state of ohio. imo.

oak hill
burg
valley
northwest
waverly
webster
minford
west

all schools has great athletes and will be interesting to watch. cant wait. you will know who worked on their game. just like the lady oaks. you can tell the majority of the girls work all summer on their game and that is why they are winners. imo. no really that is the truth. good luck to all soc 2 teams.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

Sorry. We just disagree. The league still seems a little weak to me. I am from Scioto County. Guess we will find out. I've been wrong before, and I hope I am not right about this, but that is what I see.
That will be the fun of it.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Re: SOC2 09-10 Thoughts and Predictions

Post by southernohiofan »

1.burg -stegman is really good and bendolph best guard in conference
2.-4. oak hill,waverly,valley--this is a toss up
5.northwest
6-8 webster,minford,west--all have new coach's for the players to learn a new system could take a year or two

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

southernohiofan wrote:1.burg -stegman is really good and bendolph best guard in conference

I'd have to say Kyle Ondera is the best guard in the conference. Until Bendolph proves himself in this conference.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

I'm really looking for Waverly to surprise alot of people this year. Burg is the team to beat on paper, but I like what Waverly has to offer. Martin, Roback, and Kretzer will be hard to stop..I look for Kretzer to really have a breakout season.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

I think the league will be competitive again this year. If you are not on your "A" game on a given night, you could lose to just about anyone. Definitely can't lose games at home and expect to win the championship. On paper, I would think Wheelersburg would be the favorite. Oak Hill, Valley, Waverly and Northwest should be solid. Webster has plenty returning and Minford has quality athletes. Should be a fun year to be a fan.

pirates09
Waterboy

Post by pirates09 »

all-time athlete wrote:

if i remember right Andy stegman was pretty good from the outside his freshman and sophmore year. i dont look for that to change this year. and now with lang schankweiler, bendolpf and a few others the pirates should be pretty muc unstoppable this year

amazinghocks
JV Team

Post by amazinghocks »

the burg takes it

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

In my opinion, with all other things being equal as far as the talent of the players, the thing that puts Wheelersburg a notch above the other teams is Coach Tom Barrick. He is a master at devising a gameplan and his teams are defensive minded and just shut teams down. I know last year a lot of people were complaining the Pirates didn't score a lot of points, but when you're holding teams to less than 40 points a night you don't need to put up gaudy numbers on offense. Since the Pirates didn't lose any starters off last years squad I see the defense being just as effective and stifling as last year and with the addition of Lang and Bendolph I see the offense putting up some better numbers on offense. This team is loaded and could do some serious damage in the area this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see anywhere from 18-2 to 20-0 regular season and another trip to the Final 4 out of these kids.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

I could def. see the Burg winning 18 games. I think it'll come down to Burg and Oak Hill again with some slobber knocker of games and two classic coaches playing a chess match for the league title. Burg returns everybody and Oak Hill returns a very solid core of players with some ppg lost but, don't think for 2 seconds that they won't be playing some tenacious defense.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I doubt anyone beats the Burg all year and they have a great coach, as for a suprise team- I think it is Northwest, they are going to be very tough this year -

Head of the league:
Burg- unreal - they could be this years team that visits the final 4!
Oak Hill- defending state champs- tourney time will be tough as they move up a division (at least i think they do) - I doubt they can ever beat Piketon or Burg.

then ....
Valley - super athletic, hectic style causes teams fits
Northwest- suprise team of the year
Waverly- need Kretzer to score more, and rebounding will be a concern

then...
Minford
South Webster
Portsmouth West

Overall very strong league- look for better tourny runs from teams that didnt do well last year.

ohhsgottagetthatblue
Waterboy

Post by ohhsgottagetthatblue »

i think that even though oak hill has "lost some key seniors", the seniors this year will step up.

allohio87
Waterboy

Post by allohio87 »

this year with the soc 2 should be very exciting starting with wheelersburg returning all 5 starters and gaining some transfers they are lookin to be the top dog this year in the league. followed closely by all but mainly oak hil. oak hill coming in off of a state title win last year is looking to fill the gaps from losing last years starters they should be very exciting to watch they have the talent to do well and pull of the league title over burg. next we have valley and northwest both of which are very well rounded teams nw coming off of a few rebuilding years and valley coming off of a good season but losing some key players. i feel that on a good night either team could upset burg or oak hill and pull of league championships if they can keep the momentum. next we have waverly who has always seemed to be the middle of the pack in this league when it comes to pre-season thoughts but almost always seem to surprise people by pulling off some good upsets during the season i feel that if waverly uses there size advantages they will be very tough to beat. next we have west minford and south webster starting wit west they never seem to really click when it comes to basketball there always jus starting to get with it come tournament time and most of which is to late. minford coming off of a good season loses key players and is looking to stun some teams and hopefully still be there towards the top. last we have south webster in which has not really done a whole lot in the league since there state title a few years back.

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

1. Burg/Oak Hill- I can see them sharing the title
3. Northwest- Leslie and if the supporting cast can do their job I can see this happening.
4. Valley
5. S.W.- new coach, young tall talent with a mix of upperclassman. Surprise team of the league, but no better than 5th this year.
6. Waverly- Big strong boys. Could finish better if they take it inside and not settle for long jumpers
7. Minford
8. West

IMO, I think NW, Valley, SW, and Waverly will finish middle of the pack. Can't wait to see basketball get started again.

Can you believe it is almost November?

Cookie
Freshman Team

Post by Cookie »

1. Burg/Oak Hill
3. Waverly/Valley
5. Northwest
6. South Webster
7. Minford
8. West

1-4 could beat each other all year.
Northwest could also upset any team on any night.
Very interesting this year in the SOC.
Last edited by Cookie on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

burg
oak hill
valley
waverly
northwest
south webster
minford
west

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

In my opinion, this is the toughest the league has been in a while with five teams having a legitimate chance of winning the league title. Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, Waverly, Valley, and Northwest all have the capabilities of beating each other on any given night. However, you can't overlook Minford, South Webster, or West becuase they are usually scrappy teams. I think the title will be shared by two of the five teams listed first, but take your pick. Your guess is as good as mine.

Return to “Boys Basketball”