SEOAL 09-10 Scores and Standings

Who wins?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Total votes: 0

Blu_n_Whyt
Freshman Team

Re: SEOAL 09-10 Thoughts and Predictions

Post by Blu_n_Whyt »

This might be a stretch, but thought it's worth asking. How do you think a football playoff run will impact the early SEOAL basketball standings?

Not sure when everybody else starts (i.e., Chilli doesn't play a league game until 12/18). Obviously, it won;t be a problem for the Cavs this year, but what about the SEOAL playoff contenders that have basketball players?

Do Jackson, Ironton, Logan or Warren play any league games in early December? If they were to have a deep FB playoff run and not be in basketball shape, an early loss or two might be tough to overcome down the stretch for a title.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Warren has 2-3 starters playing football right now...Playoffs are looking grim for Warren, I suspect they will be praticing when everybody else starts. Warren is in Region 7 on D2, in a couple other regions Warren would have been in the playoff hunt with a 7-3 or 8-2 record, not this region you have to play nearly flawless all season.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Amen to that, hardrock.

The Warriors who haven't been on the football field are already getting together, shooting hoops, and gelling...it should be a good season for the Warriors.

Blu_n_Whyt...the Warriors play Portsmouth in Vincent as their first league game on 12/18..we play Ironton and Logan before Jan 1, but I think that those teams will be ready to roll by then even with deep playoff runs. I know that Warren will be.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

pfloyd
im not worried about chillis outside shooting, in fact, might be the best outside shooters in years...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bronc21 ... IF in fact the Cavs can "find the bottom of the net" from outside - the "forecast" is nothing but "sunshine ahead" for Chilli ... will be looking to get a firsthand look at the Cavs early in the campaign ... one of those teams that I want to have a good idea of where they are early on, then again in the middle of the season and finally right before the post season begins ... Coach K & Co. are definitely in position to set their sights on the top spot on the Elite 8 list ...

muddaubr
Waterboy

Re: SEOAL predictions

Post by muddaubr »

pfloyd wrote:... gymrat - I agree with your breakdown of the SEOAL for the upcoming campaign ... Chillicothe has been to the show, played in the one and done games, has a coach in Coach Kellough who knows how important the defensive end of the floor is to getting a "W" - the BIG man in the middle for the Cavs Malik London, Michael Turner, Jalen Ragland and a couple of Beverly's to choose from as well ... my concern for the Cavs is outside scoring, London CAN get it done around the rim but I didn't see a floor game that makes him a control the game at both ends kind of player ... CHS will need to show me an outside threat to go with London down low ... Warren? my money is on the Warriors of Coach Maddox to be at the top of the heap when the dust settles after round robin play this season ... as Gymrat pointed out Coach Maddox has built a "program" that reloads from year to year ... Brandon Fivecoait, Grant Venham, Austin Cunningham, Clay Ellenwood, Justin Heverding, Andrew Lang, Seth Harris will head the list of returnees ... the rep that all Maddox squads bring to the table is team strength - I don't see that changing this season - physical defensively, physical on the boards both offensively and defensively ... with the troops that Coach Maddox returns the Warriors will again live up to their MO of pressure D that scores in spurts off the Defense ... we will watch closely to see IF the Blue and White can overcome the "offensive" dry spells that have plagued them the last couple of years in the big games ... Ironton? the Tigers could be the BIG surprise team in the SEOAL this season ... Coach LaFon has hung his hat on defense, team speed over the years ... another proven coach with a solid track record ... outside scoring will not be an issue for the Orange and Black this season led by Tommy Waginger ... returning from last season we will see Tim Kochendoerfer, Malcolm Morton, Erin Edens, Robbie Webb, Travis Elliott et. al. - Tigers will again come at opponents in "waves" - defense, speed/quicks, balanced scoring from the D and the outside threat of Waginger ... we won't count the Tigers out ... Logan ? the question mark is appropriate for the Purple which puts me in the Gymrat corner with the Chiefs ... LHS once again will bring as good of all around talent as any team in the league BUT question marks remain ... will the nucleus of Angle, Rutter, Mays, Dietz be intact for the season ... don't have a clue who lg's "McDaniel" is (Zach McDaniel? he doesn't play bb) ... the jv's from last season will add some much needed inside strength - Derek Montgomery/Jared Rutter along with outside shooting with Clinton Schrader ... lots of "tweener sized " perimeter people in Jordan Jurgensmier, Kenneth Buckler, Ryan Cassady, Trent McCort ... maybe the biggest question marks will come from the coaching side with the addition of ex-headcoaches from Athens and Trimble (McNeal/Koons) to the staff ... What do these coaches bring to the mix? havoc ball defense ? ... would be nice to see the Purple live up to the talent potential but as gymrat has pointed out the proof will be in what happens on the court ... so far "potential" hasn't put up "Ws" ... the Purple will have to play the "show me the money" game ... past performance brings too many questions to put them at the top of the picks list ... the best of the rest I look for Jackson, Gallia Academy will be improved while Portsmouth and Marietta will need to make a believer out of me ...

Pflyod...How do you know that the JV's from last year will help. rumor has it that some are not too happy with the coaching additions and one that you mentioned quit last year before seasons end. Also lots of players will be out until football is over. Not too much help there for coach m to fall back on for a while.

moonshine
SEO

Re: SEOAL predictions

Post by moonshine »

muddaubr wrote:
pfloyd wrote:... gymrat - I agree with your breakdown of the SEOAL for the upcoming campaign ... Chillicothe has been to the show, played in the one and done games, has a coach in Coach Kellough who knows how important the defensive end of the floor is to getting a "W" - the BIG man in the middle for the Cavs Malik London, Michael Turner, Jalen Ragland and a couple of Beverly's to choose from as well ... my concern for the Cavs is outside scoring, London CAN get it done around the rim but I didn't see a floor game that makes him a control the game at both ends kind of player ... CHS will need to show me an outside threat to go with London down low ... Warren? my money is on the Warriors of Coach Maddox to be at the top of the heap when the dust settles after round robin play this season ... as Gymrat pointed out Coach Maddox has built a "program" that reloads from year to year ... Brandon Fivecoait, Grant Venham, Austin Cunningham, Clay Ellenwood, Justin Heverding, Andrew Lang, Seth Harris will head the list of returnees ... the rep that all Maddox squads bring to the table is team strength - I don't see that changing this season - physical defensively, physical on the boards both offensively and defensively ... with the troops that Coach Maddox returns the Warriors will again live up to their MO of pressure D that scores in spurts off the Defense ... we will watch closely to see IF the Blue and White can overcome the "offensive" dry spells that have plagued them the last couple of years in the big games ... Ironton? the Tigers could be the BIG surprise team in the SEOAL this season ... Coach LaFon has hung his hat on defense, team speed over the years ... another proven coach with a solid track record ... outside scoring will not be an issue for the Orange and Black this season led by Tommy Waginger ... returning from last season we will see Tim Kochendoerfer, Malcolm Morton, Erin Edens, Robbie Webb, Travis Elliott et. al. - Tigers will again come at opponents in "waves" - defense, speed/quicks, balanced scoring from the D and the outside threat of Waginger ... we won't count the Tigers out ... Logan ? the question mark is appropriate for the Purple which puts me in the Gymrat corner with the Chiefs ... LHS once again will bring as good of all around talent as any team in the league BUT question marks remain ... will the nucleus of Angle, Rutter, Mays, Dietz be intact for the season ... don't have a clue who lg's "McDaniel" is (Zach McDaniel? he doesn't play bb) ... the jv's from last season will add some much needed inside strength - Derek Montgomery/Jared Rutter along with outside shooting with Clinton Schrader ... lots of "tweener sized " perimeter people in Jordan Jurgensmier, Kenneth Buckler, Ryan Cassady, Trent McCort ... maybe the biggest question marks will come from the coaching side with the addition of ex-headcoaches from Athens and Trimble (McNeal/Koons) to the staff ... What do these coaches bring to the mix? havoc ball defense ? ... would be nice to see the Purple live up to the talent potential but as gymrat has pointed out the proof will be in what happens on the court ... so far "potential" hasn't put up "Ws" ... the Purple will have to play the "show me the money" game ... past performance brings too many questions to put them at the top of the picks list ... the best of the rest I look for Jackson, Gallia Academy will be improved while Portsmouth and Marietta will need to make a believer out of me ...

Pflyod...How do you know that the JV's from last year will help. rumor has it that some are not too happy with the coaching additions and one that you mentioned quit last year before seasons end. Also lots of players will be out until football is over. Not too much help there for coach m to fall back on for a while.

Look out if the baskball program fails again this year look for changes, to many mediocre seasons with very good talent!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... muddaubr "I CAN'T" guarantee that those from the JV WILL in fact help BUT if you can add the bulk of Montgomery and J. Rutter in the paint - it "ain't" going to hurt! LOL ... Dietz can't be the sole rebounder down low - I liked the duo that was on the JVs last season Montgomery/Rutter - both pound the boards/both put a body on people down low ... on paper - I see lots of talent for the Purple ... Schrader can be one of the best spot up three point shooters the Chiefs have had in a long time ... Buckler is a very smooth tweener that sees the floor well, instinctively does the right things at both ends of the floor ... add to the mix the "new kid on the block" pg that should take some ball handling pressure off of P. Angle - it's ALL good imo ... Will all of this add up to "Ws" ?- "THAT" I can't guarantee LOL ... as was pointed out the Purple boyz will have a definite "get the rust off" period due to football, the Chiefs should make a nice run in the post season on the gridiron BUT as mid-December rolls in so should the hoops skills for the football Chiefs ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

GAHS4ever: Thanks for the kind words........and I want to see you at both of the GAHS vs. Portsmouth games.......get well, good buddy!! I always look forward to seeing you and Jottings at the games!!

Bigbluewarriorfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigbluewarriorfan »

Who is the most talented player in the SEOAL this year????????

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

Good question. There are no Hitchens, Chambers, Knights, Aronhalt, or Harris level players in the league this year that I am aware of.

London from Chilli will be better than all of them in time but is only a soph this year so probably not as good now as they were as juniors and seniors. Maybe? Ragland From Chilli will also be a great player but it needs to be seen what he can do on a varsity level. Also from Chilli, senior Michael Turner is a great athlete and has some experience.

From the other teams I really can't say. I'm sure there are some good players. Logan has a couple that are good. Warren has one in particular that comes to mind but I cannot remember his name. I would know if I heard it though. Anyone with info from the other schools? Portsmouth usually has a good player or two.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Venham is suppose to be good

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just like I think the league will be balanced this year, I don't think there will be any dominant player like Anthony Hitchens or Logan Aronhalt. Malik London certainly comes to mind with his defensive prowess, and Patrick Angle is just an outstanding athlete. The SEOAL player of the year is up for grabs with probably 5-6 players having a chance to win it........since the league is going round robin this year, I wonder if there will be only 1 POY in the SEOAL?........it should be that way.

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

Yes. Venham was the one I was thinking of I believe. How do you Logan guys think a potentially long football playoff run will affect Angle and Mays for Basketball, especially early on? Also, if Angle has any football money coming his way(I don't know if he does or not?) will he play basketball. I supect he is since no-one has brought it up but, some athletes don't play their senior seasons if they have a scholly in another sport. Aaron Craft from Liberty Benton comes to mind. Kid was the D5 football player of the year last year and lead his team to the State Championship game but isn't playing football this year because he has a basketball scholarship to OSU. I think most should play but the reasons for not doing it are legitimate and I can't feel badly about a kid who chooses not too.

BLUEMOON
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUEMOON »

Watch out for the Cunningham kid from Warren heard he has worked extremely hard over the summer and is very much improved.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Cunningham and Venham are great players for Warren but I think Fivecoait is the guy that makes the team go. He may be the best defender in the league and when he starts scoring...look out. Ellenwood and Hilverding are also good role players. Warren should have another very solid season

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... trojandave has hit the nail on the head as far as the "balance" of power AND talent in the SEOAL this season ... obviously there is potential for London of Chilli to BE a dominant player with his 6-8 frame(height wise anyway) giving him a BIG advantage but he imo is still on the "potential list" , he will have to put up the numbers, and not disappear in ANY games in order to be a dominant player ... Grant Vehnam for Warren has size at 6-4, he IS a scorer, gets to the line - all around PLAYER for the Warriors ... Logan has the duo of Mays and Angle (both can get to the rim, both have strength to get where THEY want to on the floor) , add Jeff Dietz, is very athletic 6-4 inside/outside presence for the Purple (more of a finesse type player down low) ... Ironton , I look for this season to be a breakout season for Tommy Waginger as a perimeter trheat for the Tigers ... Marietta , Cody Kriechbaum comes to mind on the perimeter, will be called on by Coach Secrest to do more for the Tigers as they lost their go to man in Tabler due to graduation ... td again is on the money - balance IS the word , the hardwood is wide open for those that I have listed AND ALL of those that I have missed to become THE names we post about during the 09-10 season in the SEOAL ... best of luck to ALL the athletes both known commodities and those yet to be household names on seops ...

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Gymrat, Trojan Dave, and Pink Floyyd have all made good points. Team wise, I agree with Gymrats assessment of the league as a whole. I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head. Trojan Dave and Pink Floyyd are right on about the players too. Pinkfloyd is right about London. He has potential to be the best player in the league. By the time he is a senior he will probably be better than Hitchens, Chambers, and Aronhalt but not yet. He is still on the "P" word. Ragland from Chilli (6-3, 6-4, maybe 6-5?. I'm terrible at guessing.) also has a TON of potential and this, being his junior year could be the year it translates to the varsity level.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

1. Chillicothe
2. Warren
3. Marietta
4. Logan
5. Ironton
6. Portsmouth
7. Gallia Academy
8. Jackson

I feel Warren & Chilly are the class of the league Marietta ZVille Logan & Ironton will be good teams & PMouth & Jackson are the basement of the SEOAL this year

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Didn't Logan and Warren split last year and Logan has about the same team back?

Return to “Boys Basketball”