S

Re: Chesapeake (12-3) @ Portsmouth (8-6) on Sat., Feb. 13

Post by TrojanXplosion »

74-68 late 4th Trojans

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

That link didn't work very well. Is it over.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

77-70 Trojans won!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

balltime wrote:Must have played better D than chesapeake-40-34,they are just kids!I wonder why people are so hard on the Portsmouth kids?

Because they have the talent to be a great basketball team.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Big win for the Trojans....they are the team none of the top seeds will want to hit in the Jackson Sectional.*

Rhiannon
All Conference

Re: Final: @ Portsmouth 77 Chesapeake 70

Post by Rhiannon »

Good win by the Trojans! I was afraid what Trojan Dave told us before the game was going to happen to the Trojans. He said it seems those last 2 minutes can be a killer but the Trojans held on for the win.

Good to talk to Tobias and Trojan Dave....waved at Biggdowgg and saw Ozzie there too.
Sounds like the sectional is going to be a tough one. See you guys next Saturday.

A lot of scouting going on down there tonite. Saw many coaches in the stands with their notebooks!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Rhiannon wrote:Good win by the Trojans! I was afraid what Trojan Dave told us before the game was going to happen to the Trojans. He said it seems those last 2 minutes can be a killer but the Trojans held on for the win.

Good to talk to Tobias and Trojan Dave....waved at Biggdowgg and saw Ozzie there too.
Sounds like the sectional is going to be a tough one. See you guys next Saturday.

A lot of scouting going on down there tonite. Saw many coaches in the stands with their notebooks!

thought you guys was goping to the concession, so we went out to get a hot dog.....then came back when the game started,to see Trojandave had you guys trapped in the corner,,,hard to get away from him :mrgreen:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That is going to screw up the hopful seeding for many of the Jackson sectional teams

Nice win by Portsmouth!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tobias wrote:Great win for the Trojans.

Code: Select all

1st 2nd 3rd 4th  Final
Portsmouth   27  13  18  19    77
Chesapeake   20  14  20  16    70

Portsmouth led 56-46 in the 3rd quarter....Chesapeake went on a 17-4 run to lead by 3 @ 63-60...Portsmouth then closed out the game with a 17-7 run to win by 7.

Good luck tomorrow at the seeding...

JV Final:

Chesapeake 63
Portsmouth 33

you are right, this was a BIG win, Chesapeake is a great team.

great game by Torey Horne AGAIN tonight, Sophmore, Dion Mckinley had a great game tonight also

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

like posted above, lots of scouts in the place tonight, Stormin Normin sit in front of us.......

:lol: :lol: bet he wont do that again

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Very nice game by Trojans. Horne was outstanding and the inside game was the key. Mckinnley and Underwood was huge tonite.

Good to see alot of ''scouts'' tonight ;-)

And good to see some of the Trojan faithful. Trojans made the SEOAL proud.

Tobias no sweater next saturday 8)

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

That Lord of the rings statement is over my head, haven't never saw that.

I might have to break out the Tressel sweater next week :mrgreen:

The black sweater is way to big now that you lost the weight..

It might fit Ozzie though :lol: :lol: :lol:

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/trojan-sports-network

You can now catch the game except the final 1:10 left in the game. My phone died while I was recording. Next time I'll bring my charger and make sure I have it full charged next time. I test broadcasting it live but the quality is pretty bad from my phone even worse than it is now which isn't too bad. But I hope you all like it and from now on I will just post it from break to break so they'll be a delay in the broadcast. The reason it took a long time tonight was I did a whole quarter and it took forever to upload to the server.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

I don't like a few things I saw. Our bench isn't used to the fullest extent. Forrest has to start to keep his focus in the games or you may as well not play him at all.

You have to know your personnel. (Who you can scream at. Who you can push a little harder. Who you have to handle with kid gloves and who you can be demonstrative with. Pulling Forrest to teach him lessons is not gonna work and not starting him is just gonna bring about a "tuning out" episode. He did ok considering the type of mentality Forrest has but not starting him is only gonna be a detriment to himself and the team. You have to start him and you have to play him or as I said before you may as well not play him at all. He can be out of it mentally.

Coach Collins can't be afraid to trust his players. Tourney time you have to trust each other in crucial situations. And this zone defense garbage is not the Portsmouth way either. I'm not totally against playing zone but not as a staple of our team.
We probably played 70% zone tonight and not good zone d to add.

We're a good team but we could be a great team. One of our biggest flaws tonight was not sprinting back on defense and even more importantly not stopping the ball in transition. Numerous times tonight they were running back up on our heels as we were retreating to get back to a spot in that horendous zone defense. Instead of focusing on where the ball was they were continuously focusing on "getting back to a spot on the floor."

Another thing is we don't look to beat the other team down the floor enough. We've got way too many ways to kill you than to just settle for killing you in the halfcourt set.

At the beginning of the year we were probably using too many players. Now with more depth we're using too few. Isaiah needs to play an extended role. I don't know if most people realize it but Isaiah is more of a post player than a ballhandler despite his small stature. On defense you can use him in to guard quicker players but offensively his skillset is to get and finish close shots. Eugene can use Patrick more in certain defensive situations. I could go on and on cause I know many of these kids traits from watching them game in game out and watching how they respond to correction. And I personally know most of them. In my opinion Coach Collins is on the verge of losing these kids. They are 16 and 17 and 18 year olds who need to be trusted. The message that I see in their body language is that "Eugene don't trust us" "I don't know if we should trust him." Then there response is well we won...I couldn't contribute like I know I can. I'm misunderstood.

I know you're like "you got all that from watching the game. " Yeah. I watch the game within the game. With all that said, imagine my rant if we woulda lost. lol. Maybe I'm overanalyzing but I just know that potential is another word for aint done nothing yet. Go out there Portsmouth and do your thang. Go Trojans.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

I see what you're talking about and talking to Forrest after the game he seemed very disappointed with himself. I know you can't start everybody but I would almost to keep Forrest's mind in the game and starting out I would start him over Wayne at this point. Wayne seems to have struggled as of late and is forcing too many shots. He is GREAT player with great potential but he is still very young. I agree with you about Isaiah he is a great post player and really gets after it. I would also like to even see him put on a certain player and just suffocate him. Can't complain too much with the D but I agree that our 2-3 needs a LOT of work. I liked it more when we were switching defenses during games all the time. Example going from 2-3 to man to 1-3-1 back to 2-3 but with both of our guards up top attacking and trapping the ballhandler after they cross midcourt.

Positive notes was Tory Horne's passing beginning of the game. He had some GREAT feeds especially to Dion who continues to get better game by game. It seemed later on in the game though Tory tried to force too many or well try to force it through tighter spaces. Great post moves tonight!! Especially in the latter stages of the game.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Forrest needs to be in the starting lineup every night. He is too good to sit the bench at the begining of the game. Some players can adapt to that role but, Forrest needs to start to get into the flow of the game right away. Reeves needs more minutes in my honest opinion and I hope the kids aren't getting to discouraged. Portsmouth is having a good year and are about 11 points away from having a great year. I really hope they finish strong going into the tournament and then make a huge run. I have no doubt in my mind that if they play solid defense and hit there threes and work the inside game, then it will be an exciting run.

balltime
Waterboy

Post by balltime »

Stop It. Come on people these are coaches teachers and kids! No one is perfect let the TEAM work out the probs if there are any,a lot of times we dont see what goes on inside.Please dont expect kids to behave like grown men we have all been there.Let coach Collins coach and teach the way he thinks is best,thats why he is the coach!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I think Portsmouth is going to finish out the regular season strong and get to 12-6. That will give them a ton of confidence going into the tournament. This team is capable of going to Regionals. They need to just stay focused.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

In the 2 games I've watch...Forrest Johnson was the best player I've seen all year (without Horne playing) and then Horne was great without Forrest doing enough IMO (but he didn't play that much)

I think Collins had them playing hard with great tenacity. I'd tell Forrest to go play basketball. In Portsmouth in was TENSE and he had the best performance all year....no matter what we did (and we played great)....Forrest answered...you couldn't do anything to knock him down...he was going to be the last man standing...and he was.

^^^^^^even if he's not on fire...with the mindset he had that game....and Horne launching in 22 and and Dion and Trey underneeath with the two other very solid players....geesh

Return to “Boys Basketball”